Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Have some questions about installing a fuel cell.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have some questions about installing a fuel cell.

I'm installing a fuel cell as my tank is rusted to the point of never being used again and need help as this is something I never considered or showed interest in before my situation. Another member recommened posting this here for this.

1st, I need to install a return fitting and have a bulkhead fitting but do I just install it and leave it or do I need to run a hose from the fitting to the bottom of the cell? The cell is filled with foam if that makes a difference.

2nd, there's the whole fuel system wiring harness hanging down, what should be done with it and will any of it be used to properly power the inline Walbro I have?

3rd, I've done a full EGR delete and just completely removed the EVAP canister while removing the fuel tank. Does the harness need to remain plugged in or what? I heard so many answers but don't know what to do with a fuel cell going in. As far as the vent line, it's larger in size over the fuel line and would like to use it as the feed line.

Last, I'm a little lost on connecting the AN lines to the factory lines. I see adapters with compression fittings inside that look nice but are only rated for 50psi. So my idea was to run a barb fitting out of the pump into a 300zx TT fuel filter then to the factory line. The car will make appox. 510-530whp once the tune is done so will this setup work okay or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as I can't find much info.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want professional help with this, give me a call and we can get you straightened out.

If your interested, and want to save yourself a ton of money, I have a gas tank from a 2005 evo at the shop now in good shape.

If your going to push forward with the cell, remove the evap system. Let the wires all hang or remove the wires and connectors from the connections under the dash, and they make connectors that go from ANto the stock style quick connect fittings. Your gas gauge will no longer work of course, and you'll have to pop the trunk to fill up with gas. I highly recommend to do this if it's a track car only cause I promise it's not worth doing for any street car.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
If you want professional help with this, give me a call and we can get you straightened out.

If your interested, and want to save yourself a ton of money, I have a gas tank from a 2005 evo at the shop now in good shape.

If your going to push forward with the cell, remove the evap system. Let the wires all hang or remove the wires and connectors from the connections under the dash, and they make connectors that go from ANto the stock style quick connect fittings. Your gas gauge will no longer work of course, and you'll have to pop the trunk to fill up with gas. I highly recommend to do this if it's a track car only cause I promise it's not worth doing for any street car.
Thanks for the help, I already received most everything in the mail already. I forgot it has quick connect fittings so I'll check that out and see what I need.

But as far as wiring the fuel pump, can it just be grounded and use the power wire that powered the factory pump?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Check the ampacity of the pump you are planning to use. Most definitely you will need to increase the pump wires size (gauge)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Check the ampacity of the pump you are planning to use. Most definitely you will need to increase the pump wires size (gauge)
I have a new inline Walbro 255. Most of the installs I see call for a 30A relay but that's because they're installing it along with the stock pump. I have a fuel pump rewire set laying around if I need to use it but I can't see why would need to yet.

I just need to know if I can pull the pin out of the connector and wire it to the pump along with a ground is all that's needed to get it running properly.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
I have a new inline Walbro 255. Most of the installs I see call for a 30A relay but that's because they're installing it along with the stock pump. I have a fuel pump rewire set laying around if I need to use it but I can't see why would need to yet.

I just need to know if I can pull the pin out of the connector and wire it to the pump along with a ground is all that's needed to get it running properly.
yeah, you can pull the positive out of the factory connector at the sending unit, and wire it to the new external pump, and ground the external pump to the chassis and you'll be good to go.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
yeah, you can pull the positive out of the factory connector at the sending unit, and wire it to the new external pump, and ground the external pump to the chassis and you'll be good to go.
I hoped it would. This info should keep me busy on the install now and I'll check back in if I have any problems.