Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

WRC Wales Rally GB 13-16 Sept talk/results spoiler**

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday midday wrap:

While Jari-Matti Latvala edges closer to his second win in this season's FIA World Rally Championship, the battle for second on Wales Rally GB continues to thrill with Sebastien Loeb a mere 2.9s ahead of Petter Solberg with three stages left.

Solberg, in a Ford Fiesta RS WRC, was 6.4s in front of Citroen driver Loeb starting today’s closing six stages but slipped behind on the second test before dropping further behind following an awkward landing on stage 16.

However, Latvala insists his tenure of second place is far from secure. “We are now in front of Petter but it’s not finished,” said Loeb. “Since the start of the rally we struggled in the afternoon when the morning has always been okay. The stages are better for our car today because we have a bit more grip.”

Out front, Latvala’s lead now stands at 29.3s at the midday halt in Cardiff. “We had a good feeling, which is also good for the Power Stage if you think about that,” said Latvala. “I was not so relaxed this morning but now the feeling is coming.”

....Craig Breen holds a comfortable advantage over PROTON’s Tom Cave in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship division. Yazeed Al-Rajhi is third with Maciej Oleksowicz fourth. Alastair Fisher currently tops a close battle with P-G Andersson for fifth, a mere three seconds ahead of the Swede.

click: wrc.com/news/sunday-midday-wrap
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

SS17: Solberg reclaims second

Petter Solberg has retaken second place on Wales Rally GB by outpacing Sebastien Loeb through the repeat of the Port Talbot stage.

Solberg, in a factory Ford Fiesta RS WRC, was 3.2s quicker than the Citroen DS3 WRC of Loeb through the stage to move 0.3s ahead of the eight-time world champion in the overall classification. Afterwards Solberg said: “The car worked very well, let’s just stay focused and not do any mistakes.”

Loeb said: “He seems to be faster than me in this one so we will see what we can do. Again in the afternoon we struggle a little bit more.”

Event leader Jari-Matti Latvala was third fastest in his Fiesta. His overall advantage with two stages remaining is 28.1s.

Having struggled for pace for much of the event, Finn Mikko Hirvonen impressed with the fifth fastest time in the second works Citroen, 6.4s down on Solberg. However, he was unable to make up any ground on Mads Ostberg in fourth overall after the Norwegian went 0.2s faster than him - his engine misfire having been cured at midday service.

Ott Tanak has stopped in the stage with the front-right wheel missing from his M-Sport Fiesta. The young Estonian had been in a solid sixth place at the time. Tanak’s team-mate Evgeny Novikov moves into sixth as a result.

Matthew Wilson reported the misfire that plagued his M-Sport Fiesta during Sunday morning has been cured after going seventh fastest, while Nasser Al-Attiyah dropped time when he spun his Qatar World Rally Team Citroen, which dropped on to ‘safe mode’ as he attempted to continue.

Paulo Nobre is out after retiring on the road section heading to the stage with a reported battery problem on his WRC Team MINI Portugal WRC.

click: wrc.com/news/rallygb ss17

---------------------

SS18: More drama as Loeb retakes second

Sebastien Loeb will start Wales Rally GB’s Power Stage with a 0.1s advantage in the battle for second place. Loeb was 0.4s faster than Solberg to move in front by one-tenth of a second with one 15.33-kilometre stage remaining.

“It’s really difficult and I can’t go any faster,” said Loeb. Solberg added: “It was very interesting in that stage. I understeered at the last corner. I have to keep pushing.”

Jari-Matti Latvala continues to lead the FIA World Rally Championship. He was 0.3s slower than Loeb through the stage. His margin out front stands at 28.1.s

Mikko Hirvonen edged Mads Ostberg by 1.6s but the gap between the pair starting the final stage will be 21.6s starting the final stage in Ostberg’s favour.

With M-Sport team-mate Ott Tanak retiring on the previous stage, Evgeny Novikov said he was no longer taking any risks as he looks to consolidate sixth overall.

Thierry Neuville was sixth fastest for the Citroen Junior World Rally Team with Matthew Wilson, the leading British driver, eighth quickest in his M-Sport Fiesta.

A light drizzle made the stage more slippery in places than on the first run.

click: wrc.com/news/rallygb ss18

---------------------

SS19: Hirvonen wins Power Stage, Latvala wins rally

Mikko Hirvonen has gone fastest on the event-closing Power Stage on Wales Rally GB as Sebastien Loeb beat Petter Solberg in a thrilling battle for second place on the FIA World Rally Championship qualifier.

Hirvonen beat Citroen team-mate Loeb by 0.2s through the stage to bag three bonus points with Jari-Matti Latvala claiming the final bonus point - and the event victory - in his factory Ford after going third fastest behind Loeb, whose margin over Solberg at the finish was a scant 0.9s.

“I was really struggling to find the pace, the speed, the rhythm and the confidence on this rally,” said Hirvonen. “Today was a little more encouraging. It’s not the result we came for but it’s nice to finish the rally like this. Perhaps it was raining more for the others.”

Chris Atkinson completed the stage with damage to the left-rear wheel of his MINI John Cooper Works WRC. The Australian was not aware how the problem had occurred.

Craig Breen secured an emotional victory in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship, three months since the death of his former co-driver Gareth Roberts.

As on the previous stage, a light drizzle was falling on sections of the run.

click: wrc.com/news/rallygb ss19

Congratulations to Jari Matti on the win and what a fight between Solberg & Loeb for 2nd/3rd and too Craig Breen on the SWRC win

Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Sunday wrap:

Jari-Matti Latvala has done something he hadn't managed for 217 days when he claimed victory on Wales Rally GB this afternoon, his first in the FIA World Rally Championship since Rally Sweden seven months and four days ago.

Co-driven by Miikka Anttila, Latvala took the lead on Friday’s third stage and gradually pulled clear at the wheel of his Ford Fiesta RS WRC, reaching the finish in Cardiff with an advantage of 27.8s.

Sebastien Loeb beat Latvala’s factory Ford team-mate Petter Solberg in a thrilling fight for second place, although the Citroen driver’s sequence of wins - which dates back to Philips Rally Argentina at the end of April - is now over.

Behind fourth-placed Mads Ostberg, who was hampered throughout the final day by an engine misfire, Mikko Hirvonen fought back from a frustrating rally to win the event-closing Power Stage. The result means only Loeb and Citroen team-mate Hirvonen can fight for the WRC drivers’ title on the final three rounds.

“This is a fantastic feeling,” said Latvala. “It’s one of my favourite rallies, I won it last year and it feels amazing to win again after such a big battle. To be honest this victory is for the team. They have done so much work on the car and it was working so well on this rally. I was really happy with the set-up and it was a great performance. I had some doubts after Rally Finland but to come back strong like this is really good for the championship.”

Frenchman Loeb’s capture of second came after an epic scrap with Solberg with the pairing swapping position on three occasions on the final day. Solberg started the last stage 0.1s ahead but was unable to prevent Loeb from moving in front. “I would liked to have beaten him but I lost too much time in the morning,” said Solberg. “I’m very happy for Ford but first and third should have been first and second.”

Russia’s Evgeny Novikov moved into sixth when M-Sport team-mate Ott Tanak tore the front-right wheel off his Fiesta on the repeat of the Port Talbot stage. Thierry Neuville marked his Rally GB debut by finishing seventh following an error-free performance by the Belgian youngster.

Matthew Wilson was eighth on his first start in the WRC since Rallye Monte-Carlo in January. Martin Prokop finished ninth with Nasser Al-Attiyah claiming the final drivers’ championship point when Chris Atkinson was delayed completing the last stage after damaging the left-rear suspension on his MINI John Cooper Works WRC.

Sebastien Ogier topped the Super 2000 class in his Volkswagen Motorsport Skoda as Craig Breen claimed an emotional victory in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship, three months on from the death of his close friend and former co-driver Gareth Roberts.

Brazil’s Paulo Nobre retired his MINI on the road section heading to stage 17 with a battery issue. Jan Habig, from South Africa, restarted under Rally 2 rules following his off on Saturday morning to finish 28th overall.

click: wrc.com/news/sunday-wrap

--------------------

Sunday SWRC wrap:

Craig Breen has moved back into FIA Super 2000 World Rally Championship title contention by becoming the third driver to win two rounds of this year's series following his dominant category victory on Wales Rally GB today.

The result, Breen’s first in the series since he and former co-driver Gareth Roberts triumphed on Rallye Monte-Carlo in January, puts the Irishman into joint second place in the title chase, eight points behind leader P-G Andersson.

Andersson, from Sweden, languished in sixth place at the finish in Cardiff after he damaged his PROTON’s powersteering running over a log on stage 17 following his restart under Rally 2 rules on Saturday.

Breen’s victory prompted an outpouring of emotion at the finish of the final stage as he remembered Welshman Roberts, who lost his life competing on a rally in Sicily three months ago having partnered Breen to the inaugural FIA WRC Academy title in Wales last season.

“We did the job here last year and we’ve done it again this year,” said Breen. “Everything was perfect and I couldn’t ask for more. But I miss Gareth so much and I wish he could have been here.”

Tom Cave completed an impressive SWRC debut for PROTON by finishing second with Yazeed Al-Rajhi third after the Saudi ace was handed a five-minute time penalty for two speeding offences on Saturday.

“Getting to the podium is what we wanted and what we achieved,” said Welshman Cave, who along with co-driver Craig Parry earned the Croeso Trophy in memory of Gareth Roberts as the highest-placed all-Welsh crew on the event.

Maciej Oleksowicz finished fourth with British wildcard and fellow Fiesta driver Alastair Fisher taking fifth following a close battle with Andersson on the final day.

New Zealander Hayden Paddon, who restarted under Rally 2 rules on Saturday having led after the opening stage on Friday, underlined his pace and potential by going fastest on four of Sunday’s six stages in his Skoda Fabia. “It’s a case of what might have been,” he said at the finish.

click: wrc.com/news/sunday-swrc-wrap

--------------------

Next Round 11 Rally de France 04-07 Oct 12

Alsace is Sebastien Loeb country and it was highly fitting that the French ace secured his seventh world crown on a special stage run through the streets of his hometown of Haguenau when the region hosted its first WRC qualifier in October 2010.

With a base on the outskirts of Strasbourg, the rally utilised a remote service halt in the town of Mulhouse on day one, which quickly became swamped by enthusiastic spectators who gathered in there thousands. Indeed, the event’s central location - not to mention the Loeb factor - ensured a phenomenal turn out of fans on all three days.

Official Website: rallyedefrance.com/en/

Last edited by Weasel555; Sep 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM.