Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Aero Suggestions? APR GTC-500 or Voltex Type V5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aero Suggestions? APR GTC-500 or Voltex Type V5

I'm ready to make a rear wing purchase to complete the build of my TA attack evo. It has wide fenders in the front and rear over fenders, an aggressive front splitter, 18x10.5's, suspension, yada yada yada.

I will admit that I dont know very much about wings in regards to style, material, and height. I do understand "clean air" and the concepts around downforce. I know that all aero components compliment one another too from front to back/top to bottom.

I'm not brand loyal, but I am open to paying more if there is a needed and evident jump in quality. I've narrowed my choices down to the APR GTC-500 and Voltex Type V5 with 30mm risers.

Yes/No?

About the same?

Other options?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PsychDr. HN$; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I would add Kognition to your list.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I would add Kognition to your list.
True story. Beat me to it. What class is your car?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't count out D.H.P. Composites.

http://dhpcomposites.com/
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kognition for sure. Absolutely amazing quality. I love mine.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The DHP Composites' wing is a much better design as far as airfoil shape but it is more a DIY affair as far as mounting goes. The Kognition, although an inferior wing element, does come with really nice mounts though! Also, it's a very interesting story how Kognition got started making wings

BTW, DHP winged vehicles won 2 classes and got 2nd in 2 classes at 2012 Pike Peak International Hill Climb. Not sure how Kognition faired . . .
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
The DHP Composites' wing is a much better design as far as airfoil shape but it is more a DIY affair as far as mounting goes. The Kognition, although an inferior wing element, does come with really nice mounts though! Also, it's a very interesting story how Kognition got started making wings

BTW, DHP winged vehicles won 2 classes and got 2nd in 2 classes at 2012 Pike Peak International Hill Climb. Not sure how Kognition faired . . .
Love my DHP.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kognition/dhp/aeromotion (least expensive to most expensive) would be my choice in spoilers. also, the gtc-500 doesn't make as much DF as the gtc-300

EVOlutionary, do you know if DHP makes different endplates styles? call me a ricer i guess but i don't like the rounded endplates :P

Last edited by TougeGod7; Sep 29, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, each wing is custom made to your specification.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really curious where you are getting that from? That's a pretty broad and bold statement to make.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Removed.

*****After reading my post, I realize I don't know nearly enough about the fabrication or design abilities of these two companies to give an educated opinion******

Last edited by SDevo13; Oct 1, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:22 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do tell...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:38 PM

That is an interesting statement. Where does it come from?
We did pretty good at Autobahn last year ourselves with a 1:23.594 on the GST Motorsports Subaru. Coming pretty damn close to your time. Considering the fact that it wasn't our home track. So before you start talking about a companies product like that, do your homework first please.
http://www.globaltimeattack.com/gta-...-chicago-2011/

Last edited by kognition; Oct 1, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:03 PM

If i recall, Dave's wings have a 14" chord to our 10". So i would say that we have a pretty amazing wing given those lap times. Not to take anything away from Dave. I met Dave (DHP). He came over to visit a couple years ago, and he is a very nice guy.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kognition
That is an interesting statement. Where does it come from?
We did pretty good at Autobahn last year ourselves with a 1:23.594 on the GST Motorsports Subaru. Coming pretty damn close to your time. Considering the fact that it wasn't our home track. So before you start talking about a companies product like that, do your homework first please.
http://www.globaltimeattack.com/gta-...-chicago-2011/
Originally Posted by kognition
If i recall, Dave's wings have a 14" chord to our 10". So i would say that we have a pretty amazing wing given those lap times. Not to take anything away from Dave. I met Dave (DHP). He came over to visit a couple years ago, and he is a very nice guy.
Perhaps I was a bit overzealous in recommending the products I use and the companies I do business with. I apologize for that. I should not have have said "much" better, just better, and I should have added that it was my opinion. Of course I have not bought one of your wings and tested it back to back in a wind tunnel with my current DHP unit, so I can't claim that to be a fact. Others may have, but I have not.

Of course no manufacturer is going to come out and say their product is inferior to a competitor, just as no engine builder would. APR would never say Kognition is better. GoodAero (big here in the local NASA region) would never say Pennon Composites makes better wings. AMS would never say Buschur builds better 4G63's. Yet each of them has their supporters who think they are the best. Wings are like motors - it's near impossible to PROVE who makes the best, so the lay person when deciding which one to buy has to look at past results, ease of install, cost, etc. . . and come a conclusion which to buy.

To clear up a few thing:
- with my PPIHC statement - I have no clue what cars had your products, that's why I said I was not sure. Pretty simple. Perhaps the new record holder Millen had a Kognition wing on his car, don't know. Just sharing results for the product I run.
- GSC beat my best time @ Autobahn by about 3.8 seconds. That is in their unlimited class shop car vs. my home built, stock motor, 440whp, 3000+ pound autocross car driven by a fat guy who did his first Time Trial EVER less than a year ago at that point. Yay GSC.
- The original DHP wing was about 13" chord (I have prototype #2 on my wall). The version I currently run is 11.5" and completely different in construction (full monocoque shell). The new version (which I will be running next year) is something rediculous like 16" or 18" for the main element and 5-6" for the second (and if desired, the 3rd) element. That is what the LoveFab NSX and the Team Nobama Lister run. Better be chassis mounted to support this big sucker!!
- Aerodynamics is a PACKAGE. You can't expect to add just a wing and keep the car balanced and handling well, as Nathan discovered when he tried running the Kognition wing. Made his wicked fast TTA Evo a pushy pig. Racers need a customizable aerodynamics package, which DHP offers. In fact - he probably won't even sell you a wing unless you can prove you have enough front downforce to balance it out.
- I know you met Dave. I'm sure you also know Robert Fuller of RobiSpec. Both are good guys.

Quick Reply: Aero Suggestions? APR GTC-500 or Voltex Type V5