Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Kozmic Motorsports Destroys EvoX World Records!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Kozmic Motorsports Destroys EvoX World Records!

Eric's “Kozmic27” EvoX MR takes a stab at world records!

It all came together as a frantic rush, as the shop has been extremely busy lately with big and small projects. We were going to cancel, but in typical fashion around here, we all came together and put the car together to make the event at the last minute!

This would definitely not have been possible without our key sponsors stepping in to lend a hand with parts, overnight shipping, etc. So I want to take a second and thank our newest sponsor – Ferrea for overnighting the complete valve-train to get the engine back from machine in a hurry. Our other sponsors and vendors, ISC suspension, Forced Induction Development (FID), Fuel Lab, Fuel Injector Clinic (FIC), Seibon, AEM Electronics, Extreme Turbo Systems (ETS), LA Sleeve, Manley Performance – Thank you for the support and the parts needed for a winning combination.

Like I was saying before, it was a last minute rush to the finish line so to speak. The Texas Mile was October 25th-27th and we did not get the block back from Machine until Monday the 15th, the week before the event. Luckily, we did not need to change too much on the car from when it was last together....here is where it got fun, quick. Notice in that last sentence I said “need”? Well, needs and simplicity quickly turned to wants and going faster/bigger, all this while maintaining our normal weekly work load as our customers are our first priority.

The engine, what had started out as a basic sleeved 2.0l turned into an animal so to speak. We took our basic stg3 sleeved 2.0l, changed our minds, and went to our stg5 2.2l sleeved billet stroker, and then went a step further (we will call this engine stg6??? lol). We called our good friends at Manley Performance and got a complete 2.2L rotating assembly on the way. Of course we wanted custom CR pistons, but they were a few weeks out. The guys at Wiseco whipped up a custom spec'd set for us and we were back on track. The block had been sleeved with LA Sleeves to our specs and was off to machine where it would get fully balanced, bored, honed, blue printed etc. Before everything went together all the bearings were ceramic coated, the crank and rods were coated with oil shedding coating, as well as the tops of the pistons. The head was fitted with +1mm intake and exhaust valves to allow the 2.2l to breathe properly, as well as fully ported and polished. After visiting the flow bench to equalize cylinder to cylinder flow it was topped off with Ferrea Valve-train and GSC Camshafts. A quick trip to the mill left us O-ring grooves in the block and head for high boost usage.

Now that the long block was ready, we started to address the rest of the car. We had our trusty ETS T3 TS HTA82 turbo kit sitting here from when the car came apart, so it received a new coat of sealant on the wrap and went right back on. Everything had already been fully ported and ceramic coated, so we moved on....simplest part of the build done.

Finally the power plant was ready to go back in the car, once it was in a small sigh of relief was announced throughout the shop. The car was getting there.

The ETS UICP and ETS 4" FMIC flows into an AMS LICP, sending the cooled air to the custom K27 Intake Manifold. This intake manifold is fully ported, flow benched and topped off with ceramic coating on the inside and outside. The intake for turbo is a custom fabricated K27 aluminum 4” intake with a 3.5” Maf housing, pulling air through a shielded Stainless Mesh filter.

The exhaust is the same 3.5” aluminum exhaust I built for the car ages ago, we installed the muffler-less tail section for the event, naturally...

From here, we installed the new ISC coilovers. We had heard of them before and put a set on the shop's STi with great luck. After our dealer account was setup, a set was ordered for the Evo. These are a great option on the market, as rebuilds and parts are readily available here in the US. Some of the other large name coil companies that offer coils for the Evo no longer service or rebuild their coils and only offer the parts for you to do them yourself. Tim from ISC helped us out on a set for our MR to achieve a bit lower ride height and better dampening in the mile for our top speed runs. As usual, out of the box they looked great and were ready to install. We upgraded to some Technafit SS brake lines to finish off the brakes, as we were already running Hawk DTC 70/60 brake pads and Motul RBF600 fluid. The rear suspension was completed with the K27 Rear Control Arms, followed with a 4 wheel alignment setup for top speed and steering 100% straight, no corners in the mile, except at the finish .

From here we started attacking electronics and the fuel system. The K27 Motorsports Surge tank kit had served us well, however it was in need of an upgrade. For this car, we fabricated a large capacity surge tank (fed with a Walbro 255 in tank pump) to feed the Fuel Lab 1400hp In Line Fuel Pump and Fuel Lab Filter. From there the E85 travels through Starlight lightweight race hose and is fed into a custom FID fuel rail and Fuel Lab Electronic Fuel Pressure Regulator to supply the high demand of fuel to the FIC 2150cc Injectors. Electronics Consisted of the normal AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge as well as a Glowshift 60psi Boost Gauge.

Finally, the car was together and cranked up.

Now it was time for Eric to work his magic on the dyno and see what all the hard work would translate to in terms of numbers. Everyone was confident in the setup, however as usual worries about the infamous SST transmission were still in the air on whether or not it would allow us to make the power we wanted to see it put out. We ended up making 572whp/464wtq on our mustang dyno. Keep in mind the locals have nicknamed it the “Houston Heartbreaker”, as stock EvoXs baseline at 215-220whp. We were very happy with the output on the car, our engine held strong. Our Catch Can kit was definitely doing its job, as it needed to be emptied at the end of the weekend. So, as you can read right above, one world record done...actually two, highest HP EvoX MR and highest TQ EvoX MR.

After a check over of everything on the car as well as an oil change and it was loaded up. Time for some much needed sleep...the rest of the weekend would be long spent going for records....

On the first day of the Mile, we arrived very late, as the dyno session had taken longer than expected. The next morning we woke up early and got the car tech'ed in to get in line. This year's mile was the biggest mile event I have seen so far. It was PACKED. The whole day, we got 2 runs in, both of which were qualifying runs, were we could not go all out and had to cross the boards at 140-160mph. The next day we woke up early, excited to see what the car could do. Now keep in mind, the current EvoX record (EvoX period, GSR and MR) was 182mph in a lightened high HP race car. Our car went out there full weight, full interior. The only weight reduction on the car was the hood and trunk. We didn't tape up the car, take the mirrors off, under panel the car, etc. We wanted to see what it would do in 100% street form, how we drive it daily. Our first pass out, Eric smacked the rev limiter in 2nd gear and heard a “noise” up top, so he lifted a second or two before the boards, crossing at 186.1mph! Setting a new world record...Time to see if we could do better, after checking everything on the car, we determined to give it another go, this time making a 193.00mph pass. At this point Eric came in with a **** eating grin and we were all happy. I knew he was happy with the time, but he was giggling. He came in and said “I lifted the last 100 feet, I heard the noise again”. I went down the mile a bit and saw there was a dip there near the end of the mile and then looking at the exhaust, we had barely scraped it on the ground...there was our noise. Now, we were all super excited and ready to give it another go, but in fear for getting in trouble with track officials and our safely (190+ requires a roll bar), we stopped there with more to go in the future should we want to.

I will say in review that the we had hit the perfect combination in parts with power mods and suspension. The suspension was really great, it was smooth enough that it soaked most of the larger bumps and was stiff enough that at speed we had full control. The brake setup on the car is proven, we had plenty of stopping power, and a few cool colored rotors too!

The "grumpy old man" aka Kozmic27 and his Evo:

Staging:

In Line:

Record Timing:

The Kozmic Motorsports Team:

The crew was a bit excited...

Check out the video here, subscribe to our YouTube while you are here:

And make sure to add us on Facebook! We run weekly sales posted on FB!

-Kozmic Motorsports!

Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick results!

SST sounds like crap though. :shrug:
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Sick results!

SST sounds like crap though. :shrug:
I can't reach the grapes so I will run your awesome car that I'm clearly jealous of down...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
I can't reach the grapes so I will run your awesome car that I'm clearly jealous of down...
I apologize. I must not have been clear in my post - I didn't mean to put the tuner down. I'm just disappointed with the drawbacks of the MR's SST vs the GTR's and Porsche's new PDK.

The car is sick. The record is awesome. 193 is fast, I've never been.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hell yeah congratz peeps!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Wait, what happened to ssp Texas? Congrats on the speed though!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by KevinD
Wait, what happened to ssp Texas? Congrats on the speed though!
Originally Posted by Kozmic Motorsports
SSP Texas is becoming Kozmic Motorsports!
SSP Texas has always been a separate company from SSP Inc. To differentiate ourselves from South Side Performance Inc., SSP Texas is changing its name to Kozmic Motorsports. This change will benefit our customers and dealers by providing a clear difference between the two companies. We will still be developing the same great high quality products and providing quality, reasonably priced service, fabrication, and tuning. This transition will take time for all the Forum Names, Websites, Emails, etc to be changed. To ease the transition for our customers, all of our emails will be automatically forwarded, and our phone number will not change. Look forward to more news of the transition and new products to be released soon! If you have any questions, concerns, or want to place an order feel free to give us a call.
Straight from website
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Hahaha...exactly. He says the 'sound' of the SST, oh boy.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Very nice congrats, I'm getting my R ready for next year to hit the Texas mile
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Guys!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Any in car video?

Did you Lc off line or just drive off?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasoob
Hahaha...exactly. He says the 'sound' of the SST, oh boy.
Yes, the sound. The sound of the clutch slipping wayy too much in first gear, the lack of hard shifting. After watching a million drag runs, you get an idea of these things based on sound.

It's no secret these SST's don't like to put the power down. Just look at the highest horsepower SST vs 5 speed X, look at the way the torque curve comes in on the high powered MR's.

If the SST was 'all that', I'd probably have bought the X years ago.

Carry on.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Widoww
Any in car video?

Did you Lc off line or just drive off?

Waiting to get an SD card back from a friend to see if the in car footage is any good.

Just drove off, no launch. Haven't even tried launching it yet...we will soon though
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:02 PM

For sure more records to come. Great job, Good hard works pays off.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so is this an Evo X or evo X MR record? and it's for top speed?

Quick Reply: Kozmic Motorsports Destroys EvoX World Records!