Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

My results from Redline Time Attacks Inaugural event at Buttonwillow!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
My results from Redline Time Attacks Inaugural event at Buttonwillow!!!!

Yesterday was a great day at Buttonwillow Raceway Park with Redline Time Attack. Track conditions were good up until 1pm or so when it started sprinkling on and off making the track slick then dry and vice versa for the last portion of the day. I managed to somehow do a 2:01:XXX my first session out despite some patches of traffic I hit on various laps on different sections of the course in the practice session. I was busy running around instructing, doing tech, and cleaning up the track, so I never really got a chance to look at my lap times in the practice sessions I ran. Practice sessions were fairly short, maybe 15-20min max, or at least that's what they felt like. The first "time attack" session was at 12-1pm if I remember correctly, which was gridded by lap time to reduce the chances of hitting traffic, which ended up being very effective because I never hit traffic although the session was short. I found out I did finally got into the sub 2:00 min range with a 1:59.6, but that was very short lived excitement because a few seconds later my competitor informed me he was beating me by 2/10th's of a second I was getting ready to do another practice session when it started to sprinkle shortly followed by a drizzle

At that point I looked in the direction that the clouds were coming from and they were only getting darker and darker meant higher chances of rain. I decided to pack up early at around 2:30pm, and guess what!? It stopped raining. At this point, I knew the weather was teasing me. I stayed around a bit longer to help and about 20min prior to our second time attack session at 4pm, the track was dry and the clouds weren't looking too bad. I decided to unload my car to try and get another fast lap in but then once again, it starts sprinkling. It was a sign for me to just go home with my car that was still in one piece while many others were not so fortunate. I was able to get 2nd place in Street Class AWD with a new personal best of a 1:59.650!!! I know I can get into the high 57's with my current set up, I just need to train my right foot to stay down longer in the higher speed sections of the course

Thanks to Khiem and Dr. Phil at KT motoring for the awesome tune, and Robert Fuller at Robispec for the suspension advice and help. Thanks for the support and help from my track buddies and from those of you here on the boards

Cliffnotes of the Mods I have on my car:
-Stock long block motor/turbo (134k miles on the long block which has not been rebuilt yet)
-332whp/325wtq @ 23psi (dyno dynamics)
-Buddyclub Racing Spec single adjustable coilovers
-255/35/18 Advan Neova AD08
-Car weighs in at around 3,150 pounds

Here's a list of the fastest local guys at Southern California tracks for reference:
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=118629.0

Winners from all the classes here:
https://www.redlinetimeattack.com/in...=10&Itemid=118

Last edited by L888Apex; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work Ben! Way to run under 2:00!!!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job! Sometimes it's better to just walk away to fight another day.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool.

Sounds like a good event.

I look forward to getting more seat time next year!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats man! I'm gonna try and make it out to buttonwillow next year, I want to run it so bad.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
Nice work Ben! Way to run under 2:00!!!
Thanks Phil

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Nice job! Sometimes it's better to just walk away to fight another day.
Yeah, its a nice 200 mile walk home if I ended up crashing my car that day

Originally Posted by golgo13
Cool.

Sounds like a good event.

I look forward to getting more seat time next year!
It was a definitely a great event!!! I hope to see you out there sometime next year
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
Congrats man! I'm gonna try and make it out to buttonwillow next year, I want to run it so bad.
That would be awesome!!! I would suggest we do a west coast vs. east coast track day but I don't have that kind of cash to driving out to Texas or something for such an event