Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

any auto-x class suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any auto-x class suggestions?

so i looked at the new SCCA solo rulebook and noticed that the ralliart has to compete with the EVO X in both ASP and STU. anything I can do to kinda narrow the gap? thought the classing was pretty unfair when i saw it
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
You don't have to worry about the X, so much as the IX / VIII.

There's an argument to be made that the car would be perfectly safe being in STX, but people are afraid of AWD and turbos so it will likely never end up there. Not every car lands in a competitive SCCA class, just the nature of the beast. There's only so many classes and the RA is not that common a car that it is catered to.

You can narrow the gap by:
* driving better than the other drivers
* out-prepping the theoretically faster cars
* both

At some point, after the competition bug hits, you need to decide whether you're just in this for fun, or whether you are going to get a car that's competitive in a certain class. You can definitely have fun in your car, but at some point you'll hit a (metaphorical) wall where the car will be holding you back, even when you are driving the wheels off of it and it's prepped really well. Until then, just have fun!

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Feb 6, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno

At some point, after the competition bug hits, you need to decide whether you're just in this for fun, or whether you are going to get a car that's competitive in a certain class. You can definitely have fun in your car, but at some point you'll hit a (metaphorical) wall where the car will be holding you back, even when you are driving the wheels off of it and it's prepped really well. Until then, just have fun!
this is a temporary thing for me, after the turbo swap i'm going to be in the street modified class and should be able to hold my own theoretically. i'm definitely going wider wheels and tires and upgrading the brake pads and rotors to try and give myself as much of an edge as i can get.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFHrally
this is a temporary thing for me, after the turbo swap i'm going to be in the street modified class and should be able to hold my own theoretically. i'm definitely going wider wheels and tires and upgrading the brake pads and rotors to try and give myself as much of an edge as i can get.
just go SM then. That way as you increase your performance you will have a consistent measure against your SM competition.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
For autox, the bang for buck when it comes to rotors is pretty low, especially compared to the other stuff you can do in SM. Spending $$ on a nice suspension is probably higher on the list (once you have wide wheels and Hoosiers)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Start with an ST class over a race tire class. The difference is about 3-4 sets of new Hoosiers compared to one set of street tires for the season.

for auto-x, the only thing you really need for brakes are good pads. In fact most will downsize their rotors if anything.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
There's an argument to be made that the car would be perfectly safe being in STX, but people are afraid of AWD and turbos so it will likely never end up there.
Ugh, aint that the truth. We're incorporating a Street Tire index for people to have somewhat relevant PAX times if running street tires in a race tire class..Applies to all except AWD...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Ugh, aint that the truth. We're incorporating a Street Tire index for people to have somewhat relevant PAX times if running street tires in a race tire class..Applies to all except AWD...
So the 2wd cars get an additional ST pax modifier in all Race Tire classes but the AWD's cant participate in that?

Milwaukee Region does this, but its not limited to only 2wd. In fact they've been doing that for years. I like it a lot. you can run all season regionally on street rubber and then only need 1 new set for nationals.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
So the 2wd cars get an additional ST pax modifier in all Race Tire classes but the AWD's cant participate in that?

Milwaukee Region does this, but its not limited to only 2wd. In fact they've been doing that for years. I like it a lot. you can run all season regionally on street rubber and then only need 1 new set for nationals.
Yeah, and thats what Im planning on doing too. Im not worried about loosing cause Im on street tires anyways... SM is weak in my region and the new street tires are pretty dang fast anyways.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
a new turbo will make your car so much faster around and autox course ... not lol

tires are the single biggest item, them suspension, then power.

unless you have a lot of prior racing experience i would just get some good summer tires (hankook rs3, etc) and drive the car this year. if you get the desire to mod have one of the local top guys take a spin in your car; if they are faster than you then save the money on mods for a while.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meathooker
a new turbo will make your car so much faster around and autox course ... not lol

tires are the single biggest item, them suspension, then power.

unless you have a lot of prior racing experience i would just get some good summer tires (hankook rs3, etc) and drive the car this year. if you get the desire to mod have one of the local top guys take a spin in your car; if they are faster than you then save the money on mods for a while.
i have quite a bit of rallycross experience, i'm doing autocross because it's all they have anywhere near where I live. Buccanneer Region lets me take part in street tire classes and a fresh set of rubbers will be on the car before i start racing again. i'm taking a 9 month detour overseas so I won't be taking part in this season's events, however next year I will have a set of Ksport adjustable height/dampening coilovers, 8.5" wheels (over 7" stock) Pirelli P-Zero summers, as well as a full exhaust. the turbo swap is the last thing i'm doing and probbably won't happen until the end of that season, the turbo is more because turbo noise arouses me and i race better when i'm aroused
I tried (T)DS and was pretty competitive there but got bored with the car.

EDIT: forgot to throw in the whiteline rear sway bar and RRE strut tower bracing

Last edited by NFHrally; Feb 7, 2013 at 07:26 PM.