Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Bfg r1-s

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Balrok;10676093]You talkin bout the R1 or the R1S?[/QUOTE

The R1
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RJones
Oh what? What wheels would those be?
+1

Been out of the loop for a while, what wheel did Enkei release that's lighter than the RPF1 by 5 lbs?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madmax199
+1

Been out of the loop for a while, what wheel did Enkei release that's lighter than the RPF1 by 5 lbs?
The enkei kojin was advertised early on at 13lbs. It was quickly removed and now I don't believe there is an official weight for it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
The enkei kojin was advertised early on at 13lbs. It was quickly removed and now I don't believe there is an official weight for it.
Thank you, I was already thinking about selling the current wheels and jumping to lighter wheels.

I also recently made the move from Hoosier to the R1-s in my BSP-prepped Audi TT quattro, and your reviews helped sway me. So far I'm really liking them because of the raw grip and their ability to manage heat. Perfect tire for pros and tours with multiple drivers, and I don't mind the slight loss in transitional sharpness (being accustomed to to anticipate with the inputs due to numb cantilevers slicks in my EP car). I just wish they had a 295/17 because the 315/17 are a bit tall compared the 295 Hosiers I used to run in that car when it was classed in CSP.

The tires really came alive for me at 32/26 psi hot and 3.5/1.5 degree of static camber compensation in my 3100 lbs AWD TT (numbers front to rear). I originally started at 35 psi hot based on early reports that they needed more pressure to work well due to the softer sidewalls when compared the the A6, but it seems that they work optimally at about the same pressure range in my car. Without having the car fully dialed to take advantage of them (only two asphalt events so far with no real suspension adjustment besides the ones mentioned and rusty driving after more than two years of inactivity), I'm able to get within 2 1/2" raw of a well prepped and driven SP GT3 capable of contending for National title. I haven't done any Pro or Tour with them to fully gauge their worth, but the initial grip level is well received.

The taller 315's forced me to massage the front fenders a bit, raise the front a few mm to avoid full-lock rubbing, this also raised my air dam to about 3" of ground clearance... but besides that it's all good.

Initial mount before the clearance mods

After

Last edited by madmax199; Aug 14, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Softer sidewalls? I've experienced that they're stiffer than Hoosiers in 285/30/18 and run a few psi less than what I did with Hoosiers.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJones
Softer sidewalls? I've experienced that they're stiffer than Hoosiers in 285/30/18 and run a few psi less than what I did with Hoosiers.
Laterally they are floppier than hoosiers. I believe this is due to having taller sidewalls in the same sizes.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madmax199
Thank you, I was already thinking about selling the current wheels and jumping to lighter wheels.

I also recently made the move from Hoosier to the R1-s in my BSP-prepped Audi TT quattro, and your reviews helped sway me. So far I'm really liking them because of the raw grip and their ability to manage heat. Perfect tire for pros and tours with multiple drivers, and I don't mind the slight loss in transitional sharpness (being accustomed to to anticipate with the inputs due to numb cantilevers slicks in my EP car). I just wish they had a 295/17 because the 315/17 are a bit tall compared the 295 Hosiers I used to run in that car when it was classed in CSP.

The tires really came alive for me at 32/26 psi hot and 3.5/1.5 degree of static camber compensation in my 3100 lbs AWD TT (numbers front to rear). I originally started at 35 psi hot based on early reports that they needed more pressure to work well due to the softer sidewalls when compared the the A6, but it seems that they work optimally at about the same pressure range in my car. Without having the car fully dialed to take advantage of them (only two asphalt events so far with no real suspension adjustment besides the ones mentioned and rusty driving after more than two years of inactivity), I'm able to get within 2 1/2" raw of a well prepped and driven SP GT3 capable of contending for National title. I haven't done any Pro or Tour with them to fully gauge their worth, but the initial grip level is well received.

The taller 315's forced me to massage the front fenders a bit, raise the front a few mm to avoid full-lock rubbing, this also raised my air dam to about 3" of ground clearance... but besides that it's all good.

Initial mount before the clearance mods

After

Awesome ride man! Love to see people trying new cars in SP. There are a lot of contenders out there if people would just jump in. Hope to see you at nats.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
It is interesting to see the rather large variance people are running in tire pressures. I honestly cant tell in my car what is faster. 32psi gave a rather linear temp across the surface, but I never tested that at 40psi. This weekend I ran 39 psi on my last run and it seemed to work just as good with it being faster than 35psi I was running.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
It is interesting to see the rather large variance people are running in tire pressures. I honestly cant tell in my car what is faster. 32psi gave a rather linear temp across the surface, but I never tested that at 40psi. This weekend I ran 39 psi on my last run and it seemed to work just as good with it being faster than 35psi I was running.
We made some big adjustments on my car which we will test this weekend. Still, anything higher than 38psi in my experience resulted in extreme lack of grip. Chalking the sidewalls brought me to our current pressure of 37. Though I think we tried as low as 35 with excessive roll over. I can't imagine running 32.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

I run down at 31-32 too.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, double post!

Last edited by madmax199; Aug 15, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Laterally they are floppier than hoosiers. I believe this is due to having taller sidewalls in the same sizes.
That's probably it! This is my first set on them, and had no reference point except for what was on the Internet. I can also pretty much confirm in my case that there is a slight loss in transitional sharpness over the A6. It could be the taller sidewall in comparable sizes as you pointed, it could be the actual carcass/sidewall that's softer, I don't know... but it's there. However, IMO it's still a negligible drawback when looking at the many strong points that the tire has.

Awesome ride man! Love to see people trying new cars in SP. There are a lot of contenders out there if people would just jump in. Hope to see you at nats.
Thanks, the car has some good potential, especially when it trophied at Tours and Pros a few years back in faster CSP before the SP shuffle with a lot less power and development. Nats is out of the question for this year, but co-driver and I are already planning for next year (tow vehicle is getting purchased next week).

Originally Posted by Dallas J
We made some big adjustments on my car which we will test this weekend. Still, anything higher than 38psi in my experience resulted in extreme lack of grip. Chalking the sidewalls brought me to our current pressure of 37. Though I think we tried as low as 35 with excessive roll over. I can't imagine running 32.
I believe that this has to do with setup. Roll stiffness overall, camber loss (I don't think camber gain is applicable to our front-heavy AWD cars with McCrapson suspension), will play a big role in what is acceptable before getting rollover. In my TT for example, -3.5 of front static camber compensation is plenty at about 2.7-2.8 Hz of natural frequency to keep the temp spread even across the contact patch - in the Evo (at similar weight and distribution) it would require a lot more camber compensation at those natural frequencies because the camber curve is different, and the Audi is blessed with more caster (helping retain camber on the outside front). Even in the same platform, there will always be some variance because not everyone use the same NF and camber compensation. I always felt that sharing tire pressure is a good starting point, but far from being an ideal practice or the proper way of dialing things.

Last edited by madmax199; Aug 15, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
on 9.5's or 10.5's?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah, that would make a difference. I run mine on 10.5s FWIW.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
on 9.5's or 10.5's?
9.5's. As you know.

I need to add different camber plates to get the necessary caster to run these on my 10.5's. I may not get around to it because I'm not sure I will have the car much longer. As it may be for sale after nats.