Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

replacement turbo for track car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacement turbo for track car

Move this to the motor section if necessary, but as this is a track only car I felt I would get better info here.

While doing a boost leak check last night I am feeling like the end play on my 53K mile 9 turbo is a bit excessive. It has started to blow a bit of smoke on start up recently.

My question is what is a decent replacement? I have been running 23-26psi with the stock unit for around 350whp. I love the quick spool and the very broad power spread.

Driveability and reliability are my major concerns. Other than cams the motor is on stock internals.

BBK, FP green? Ball bearing vs Journal, get the stocker rebuilt (where?) Any others worth a look.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can find rebuild kits for about $100 or so. Save cash for brakes, tires, and fuel

Cheers,

Cb
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:08 AM

Imo, any one of those turbochargers would be a good choice. Also, maybe the atp stock replacement gt3071 couldbe a good choice.

Ball bearing wohld be ideal as it would increase the longevity of a turbocharger gradually and the transient response is also in improved..as you track your car, the turbo does loose oil pressure as the hard turning and braking cause heavy gravitational pulls on your engine and its oiling/cooling system..

As for rebuild kits, you could purchase one from the dealer or thru a variety of differnt onkine vendors. I personally order most of my mhi turbo rebuild kits thru kinugawa/kamak. They also sell an high performance rebuild kit for the evo9 16g thats reasonably priced and also not a bad idea as your on and off wot constantly and the increase in thrust loads can cause internal bearing/sealing failure....
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Depends on your venue/power goals. If you're just generally going out to have fun or doing DE's then you can't go wrong with a BBK full or the BB FP green. I went with an FP white rebuild with the 84mm cover and feed line so I could jump anywhere from 320 to 400+ without having to change much.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You may want to look into the MAPerformance FP2 turbo as well. I've had mine for about two years running it at 30psi for multiple 20 minute lapping sessions without issue. But if you are into price gouging then the others should work as well.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BBK-Full has been absolutely excellent. I just upgraded to a BBK-3B, but for a stock block, the BBK-Full is just about perfect.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
BBK-Full has been absolutely excellent. I just upgraded to a BBK-3B, but for a stock block, the BBK-Full is just about perfect.
I couldn't agree more
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BBK-Full or Fp HTA71 would probably be my choices. The BBK will make more power, but the 71 would probably spool a little quicker.

Either way, get that thing fixed before GVC event in May. (I'm assuming your going)
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
BBK-Full or Fp HTA71 would probably be my choices. The BBK will make more power, but the 71 would probably spool a little quicker.

Either way, get that thing fixed before GVC event in May. (I'm assuming your going)
I'm going. I'm just hoping to make it through ITS at NJ this weekend.

Looks like a BBK full or Green BB is the way to go. I take it folks aren't having thrust bearing issues with the BBK?

Shoe
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll be fine.

If you go to the BB Green you'll be buying an entirely new turbo, if you stick with the other options you can just get your's converted. Thai just put a BB Red on his car, he loves it. It was on there at CTD, don't know if you talked to him about it then...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pshooter
I'm going. I'm just hoping to make it through ITS at NJ this weekend.

Looks like a BBK full or Green BB is the way to go. I take it folks aren't having thrust bearing issues with the BBK?

Shoe
I ran my BBK-Full at 27 psi for the last couple of years with a lot of track days of 20-25 min sessions WOT with no problems. My last event of the year last season I had foreign object damage take out the turbo, but just upgraded to the ball-bearing BBK-B that I wanted anyway.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

have you considered a larger than stock framed BB turbo like a gt35r? For the big tracks you run it will really shine and the higher CFM it makes at lower boost pressure will mean longer life since you won't be spinning the pi** out of it to make good powa!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

I briefly thought about other turbo's. But being into the start of the season to make this discovery I'm looking for plug n play. All of the turbos mentioned and under consideration seem tried and true and can get me to a little more HP when my ability finally catches up to my ambition.

But I still AX the thing and don't want to create a lag monster. And the motor is still all stock inside.

Hell I may not be smart enough to really know what I want....that's why I'm asking.

BTW Thanks for the input so far I,ll pull the trigger on something before the weeks out.

Shoe
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you still AX your car the BBK Full is the way to go! National Championship winner in both road course/TT as well as in SCCA Autocross.

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Apr 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

So I've been researching the heck out of this and it is starting to look like the OE 9 turbo might be what I'm looking for.

The BBK and Green look to spool later last longer and are good for 400+ on pump.
The IX turbo and my own charts back it up. Spool earlier and quicker yet may give up a bit on top.
Most of the green charts show the peak TQ at 4K. My 9 peaks at 3500.

Would really like to hear what you guys have to say about these over a 9 turbo.

Quick Reply: replacement turbo for track car