Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2013 One Lap of America Run

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 One Lap of America Run

Back at it again! After going in Chris Wirth's Evo X in 2010 and 2011 and finishing first in class each year ( 7th and 6th overall ), I am heading back to One Lap this year in my Evo IX SE.

For those of you not familiar with One Lap of America (www.onelapofamerica.com). The One Lap of America is a 7 day endurance race across the country that covers 3380 miles during that time. One set of tires, one set of drivers, no support trucks, and lots and lots of guts. This is what used to be called the Cannonball Run started by Brock Yates. This years route takes us from South Bend, IN down through Tennessee and into New Orleans. Then we shoot east to Daytona International Speedway and from there up through the Carolina's. We eventually hit VIR and Pittsburgh Raceway and then go from there back to South Bend. All that in 7 days!

This year the big news is that we are running to raising awareness and money for the Golisano Children's Hospital ( http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/childrens-hospital.aspx ) which is a fantastic place for children and families alike here in Rochester, NY. If any of you as I have had family or friends go through a really rough time because of an accident or sickness that has struck a child, then you know all to well how important the environment and staff are to the health of not only the child, but the family as well.

We are trying to raise as many funds as possible to help them build a center of excellence that will help treat more and more kids and families from across the Northeast. If you would like to throw some dollars at the cause, click on the link below and then click on the donate button. 100% of all moneys donated to that link will go to the charity.

http://www.essesracing.com/?page_id=113

Everyone who donates at least $100 will have their name listed on our website as a donor. Everyone who donates at least $200 will have their name on the actual One Lap car as well!

And lastly, if you want to support the actual team, there is a "Support The Team" link that you can also donate to that will go directly to helping pay for all the expenses as we go through 7 days, 3380 miles, and more tracks that I care to think about.

Thank you for anything you can donate because every little bit helps.

And also thank you for all the vendors and sponsors that have helped us get to this point so far. Stay Tuned for more pictures, more updates and more posts as we get closer to go time! 2 Weeks and counting.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn that sounds exhausting. PIRC is my local track, I hope I can spectate the time trials. Good luck to you!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i will be following closely. i have been having bad thoughts of planning to do one lap for my 30th birthday...3 years should give me enough time to sort the car! LOL.

good luck!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Come on down and visit! It's free and open to spectators so you can see all the cars and watch the event.

Here are some updated pictures of the car as it's getting prepped. This is just the pre-stickering. The big stuff happens on Friday during registration and media day!

Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Nice use of the Mitsubishi competition colors! Stay on route and hope for rain at the tracks!
Old May 1, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't believe this is starting in a few days! I'm going to enjoy my break this year but will be pulling for both the local Rochester Mitsubishi's to finish strong and without drama!

Definitely post whatever you can here as the week unfolds!
Old May 1, 2013, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a quick lo rez shot. Almost ready to head out!

And here's a finish hi rez version.

Huge thanks to Stick Around Graphics ( www.stickaroundgraphics.com ) for the design work and StickerBomb.com ( www.stickerbomb.com ) for the most excellent install.

Last edited by Tevenor; May 1, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
so whats the setup on the car?
Old May 2, 2013, 08:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts
Love the livery. Good luck! I have always wanted to do this.. hope I get around to it sometime.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure Sean can fill in on the specs, I do know that after the facebook updates there was already some drama just getting to Southbend, IN for the start of the race.

Turns out the car wasn't happy providing AC anymore so the pulley decided to eat the accessory belt about 1.5 hours from their destination. Thanks to good friends they were able to have a shorter AC delete belt waiting for them after they had a flatbed hauler get them the rest of the way. I don't want to see what that bill was if he didn't have AAA!

Today is registration day for them and they will be getting all the One Lap event sponsor vinyls applied to the car with competition starting Saturday morning. I'm still glad the accessory belt and AC pulley failed BEFORE the competition as missing even just one points event is very difficult to recover from.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:59 AM

I am so jealous. This looks like a great experience!!!!
Old May 3, 2013, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah Chris is right. Had some issues just getting to South Bend. The AC clutch designed to lock up and seize the pulley. The Gates Serpentine belt snapped leaving me on the Ohio turnpike going 75 with no alternator, no power steering and no water pump. I was able to pull it over safely before the car overheated.

So after an almost 2 hour flat bed ride from Wauseon in Ohio to South Bend, I arrived at my hotel not at 6:30 like I had intended, but rather at 9:30. Lucky for me Josh Mead in South Bend was available and ran out and snagged me an AC Delete belt. Many thanks to Steve Burke for calling ahead and getting in touch with Josh.

This morning, the belt went on and after a quick jump, the car was running right as rain. Other than the fact that we'll be driving through Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina with no AC, it *seems* to be working well with no ill effects.

The good news is I was able to get to registration on time, get stickered up, and get through Tech. The driver's meeting was today and Brock Yates Jr did his presentations and so forth and we are good to go for tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is the first event: a wet skid pad challenge. 3 turns in one direction around the TireRack test skid pad and 3 turns in the other direction. Add up all the accumulated time and divide by the distance and you can calculate the G forces a car can lay down. Highest G force in the wet wins!

Old May 8, 2013, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Day 1 post : reserved
Old May 8, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Day 2: reserved
Old May 8, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Day 3: reserved