Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Insurance for track days!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004 | 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Insurance for track days!

I have a track day coming up at Road America In Wisconsin and have been searching for a company that will insure my car for the weekend. I have called most of the normal vendors of insurance and they do not insure a car once it rolls on the race track, does anyone know who may insure my car for the weekend or a couple of weekends? For those that do track days, does it bother any of you that your car can be totaled on a track and there is nothing you can do to protect yourself?
Old Feb 17, 2004 | 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

^^^I am pretty sure that is the chance you are going to have to take. It is an expensive sport, but I can't wait until spring so I can start.
Old Feb 17, 2004 | 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Attached Thumbnails Insurance for track days!-moving_turn.jpg  
Old Feb 17, 2004 | 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

If you really need info when it comes to insurance pm me. I don't want to give out any info in case some guys in the forum works for the insurance company.
Old Feb 17, 2004 | 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

What type of track event you are going to? If you're attend a driving school (some called it HPDE).....you "may" be cover as long as you have full coverage insurance. But if the event you attend is Time Trial or like all local autoX which timed you then you're not cover !!

HPDE: High Perfromance Driving Education......it's a school and NOT racing against time......incase of accident, you will have to explain to your ins that you are not going to "racing" instead that is just a school at the race track. Yes......they will ask lots of question why you goto the track and you may also need the organization and your instructor to help you to prove that is a HPDE you attend.....and of course, your ins may drop your policy after the claim.

I do know friends had their ins pay for the damage which happened in Hpde ( one total loss, and one accident)......and they were also lucky enough their ins didn't drop them.

FYI......NO insurance co. is the same so make sure you take your ins policy out and read all the rules and fine print to make sure they dont say anything about not cover track event.

good luck and have fun
Old Feb 18, 2004 | 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Bump again,, Exhonda, pm ed you!
Old Feb 18, 2004 | 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

If you have a licensed instructor int he vehicle with you a lot of insurance companies will cover you... otherwise you are on your own. That's just the nature of racing. Learn to race well, know what you are doing, and you'll thoroughly minimize your risk.
Old Feb 20, 2004 | 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

ditto, sdhotwn. I just called my insurance, and they echo'd his statements. As long as the event is EDUCATIONAL.
Old Feb 20, 2004 | 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

ditto... i just called my insurance (progressive).
they said the same thing.. has to be educational and not a race.

they did grille me pretty good about why i was doing it also.
I even told them It is HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING.
They said what does that mean.
I said that means we could reach speeds of 100mph on the track.
After a lot of checking with his boss. They finally said It would be covered.
Old Feb 26, 2004 | 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Most insurance will begrudgingly cover you IF it is not a race on a track. If it is track day, HPDE, regular old driving school, autocross, and so on they should cover you. The SCCA insists on autocrosses not being called races since they are not.

Last autocross event of the season, a guy totaled his ITR backing it into a guardrail end. Not a hard impact, but right in the center of the rear bumper (like hitting a pole). His company (a national large insurer) paid for his car. It will count against him however under his collision coverage.

It is expensive to play sometimes. Also depends on the carrier.
Old Mar 2, 2004 | 03:03 PM

If you have a licensed instructor int he vehicle with you
What body or authority licenses instructors that are recognized by insurance companies?
Old Mar 2, 2004 | 05:09 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by LaterApex

What body or authority licenses instructors that are recognized by insurance companies?
Now that's a good question. SCCA qualifies their instructors, NASA qualifies theirs, Evolution schools, etc. so I wonder where the insurance company draws the line. Like, if I have some cute chick in the car I'm showing off to and I total my car, can I call her an instructor? I'm sure there's a clause somewhere.
Old Mar 3, 2004 | 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by urbanknight

Now that's a good question. SCCA qualifies their instructors, NASA qualifies theirs, Evolution schools, etc. so I wonder where the insurance company draws the line. Like, if I have some cute chick in the car I'm showing off to and I total my car, can I call her an instructor? I'm sure there's a clause somewhere.
Brian, you will have to read your policy closely. Mine only excludes racing (wheel to wheel) and not much else, unless the damage was caused during the commision of a felony crime. Nothing specifically states I have to have an instructor in the car. Maybe if your cutey is an instructor at a well known autocross school...
Old Mar 3, 2004 | 03:17 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by jason33hs

Brian, you will have to read your policy closely. Mine only excludes racing (wheel to wheel) and not much else, unless the damage was caused during the commision of a felony crime. Nothing specifically states I have to have an instructor in the car. Maybe if your cutey is an instructor at a well known autocross school...
Actually, my last instructor at an autocross school WAS a female, but at about 60 years old and married she just isn't my type

I should see if I can dig up my policy information. It's been a while, they don't send the policy every time I renew, and I don't exactly want to call and ask them if I'm covered on a race track. That might throw some warning bells at the office. I'll just dig up my policy, and try not to crash anyway (I still owe more than my car is worth, not to mention mods)
Old Mar 4, 2004 | 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by urbanknight

I'll just dig up my policy, and try not to crash anyway (I still owe more than my car is worth, not to mention mods)
Everyone who financed a Lancer owes more than it is worth! I cannot believe the depreciation that they are taking. A car 16+K sticker, buy them for 15K and now after 2 years it's worth 7-8K at best. Not Honda or Toyota resale values, but better than dosmestic cars. Looks like I am keeping this one for a while.

Quick Reply: Insurance for track days!