Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2013 SCCA Nationals and Pro Solo Finale

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a feeling you'd end up driving his car. My housemate is building an SM S14 240 and I can't wait to drive it when it's done. Those are fun cars if properly setup.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I had a feeling you'd end up driving his car. My housemate is building an SM S14 240 and I can't wait to drive it when it's done. Those are fun cars if properly setup.
looks like they're killing it right now..
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

speaking of killing it.. #1 bsp driver kills his class, asp, and ssp and basically on par with SM.. nasty

looking him up - looks like he's some sort of pro racer

Last edited by kyoo; Sep 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ya robert thorne, i use to race with him at the scca events, he's insanely fast.
he drives for kpax as well.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Yeah, I was following that. Its crazy how much faster he was.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

It's crazy considering Tristan is no slouch. Has anyone been keeping up with all the crazy breakage? It seems like more than usual this year.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There was a motor swap on a CP car between CPL and CP heats today... nuts! I guess if you run CP you know to bring one of everything, including an engine hoist and spare motor.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

http://sololive.scca.com/STU.html

Go evo! Getting chased down by 4 STIs lol. Where are all the evo x's? I don't think I saw a single one competing this year?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X's cant compete in stu honestly. At least not at the national level. Too heavy of a car for 245s. I plan on ASP next year.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Even ASP will be tough. You can't get enough weight out, and you can't gain enough power to combat the weight. I'd imagine you'll be at about a 300-400lb disadvantage.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

I agree but i think personally the MR has a chance in ASP. The SST allows for some time to be gained from the ability to shift and not take a penalty. That plus our ability to run 315s with minimal work from what i understand are a lot of tire. Who knows i haven't finalized my plans for next year. This year at our local tour i was only about two seconds behind leeds in one and less in our pro solo vs a lotus in ssm while i was on z2s and them on hoosiers(still took 2nd place in both events). I know that doesn't give me much to compare from but the Northwest region has some very fast drivers so i think it helps give a baseline?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There was a X in SM this year. They were running a 285 setup. Carl is on the board and might chime in. Keep in mind he uses his X for much more than autox, so it is not a full tilt SM build. Other than that, I don't remember seeing any other X's in paddock.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
Oh wow. That gtr has destroyed the class. 2 seconds on Marshall!
well to be fair, we are not anywhere close to SM prep level (fully ASP compliant at this event). we should get destroyed by that car and any other SM prepped car. We went to SM looking for competition....we found it!

That said, I don't think the GTR should get booted to SSM. Its just the first car in a while (with panda being the 2nd) to actually push the pax towards what it really should be, not just .001 harder than what ASP does for good measure.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by psushoe
Those on this forum probably know or know of Marshall Grice and Tom Berry. They luckily carry almost every spare part you might need, and are kind enough to help others out with those parts. I can't thank them enough for getting us through that part of the fail blog.
hey no problem. Just have to keep things in perspective, this is a hobby we all do for fun. broken cars are no fun, weather its your own car or someone elses. I'm glad we could help.

...sorry we didn't bring a spare motor.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ryancb
I agree but i think personally the MR has a chance in ASP. The SST allows for some time to be gained from the ability to shift and not take a penalty. That plus our ability to run 315s with minimal work from what i understand are a lot of tire. Who knows i haven't finalized my plans for next year. This year at our local tour i was only about two seconds behind leeds in one and less in our pro solo vs a lotus in ssm while i was on z2s and them on hoosiers(still took 2nd place in both events). I know that doesn't give me much to compare from but the Northwest region has some very fast drivers so i think it helps give a baseline?

Was just banging around and I noticed this thread....

I also thought the MR had a chance in ASP. I run 315's and have for 2+ years now on my 2011 MR in the NE I have lots of experience in Solo 2 and have moved my car to the SM level. I'm a road track junkie as well and I decided the PAX difference between SM and ASP is so small the car has more of a chance with enough $'s to compete in SM where you can play with turbo size and lighten the car some.

My .02
HAZMAT

Quick Reply: 2013 SCCA Nationals and Pro Solo Finale