Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA TTB Evo IX Aero Points Base/SE/MR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
NASA TTB Evo IX Aero Points Base/SE/MR

Hi All,

I have a few questions here that I think I already know the answer to, but would like to confirm if anyone has already had the experience. I am building up my 2006 Evo IX to complete in NASA TTB over the winter, and after the build I will only have 1 point left to play with that will probably go to aero mods. Right now the car has a Ralliart style front lip, JDM rear bumper, Gurney flap on the spoiler, and vortex generator. The car is a rebuilt theft car (never wrecked but has a salvage title) so the VIN says it started life as the base model (not SE or MR), but it is really somewhat of a cobble of parts.

My question is has anyone tried to enter an SE, and what base class did it fall in. The MR is "B*" while the base model and RS are "B", but they do not list the SE. I would like to use the SE front lip if possible if it won't cost me any points.

As of the JDM bumper, I am guessing they are going to count this as +1 points for replacing BTM rear bumper, even though it is standard on the JDM version. This bumper was never standard on any US version correct? I really don't want to have to buy a new bumper (and I doubt there is any real performance gain), so this is probably where my 1 spare point will go.

Also am I correct in that the only model to have the vortex generator stock was the MR, or was it ever stock on a JDM version? Again not a real performance gain here but just like the look of it and don't want to mess with removing it.

Same question for the Gurney flap on the spoiler. I have this as well but have no idea if it is a stock base class part or not.

I really don't want to get tagged for extra points next year or try and cheat the system, but at the same time don't want to spend a bunch just replacing plastic parts so they look more original if I don't have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated if someone has gone through this already.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SE Evo is classed just like the base car. But all of the aero changes you have made will cost points. Rear bumper and vortex generator will cost you. I'm not sure if the gurney flap was offered on the SE, but if not, it will cost you points as well.

You can ask your local director and your fellow racers if they will allow it. If you are much slower than them, they may allow it. If you are faster, they will probably bump you to TT3 and still hit you with the hp/wt aero correction.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
More NASA discussion here, FWIW

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...-classing.html
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks guys, very helpful info here. I think I will be ok going to the SE front lip then, and I will email the local director about the wing flap.

I will just take off the VG and see if I can spare the point to hang onto the rear bumper for now.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 06:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Do you have the aluminum roof?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Nope, no HIDs either. I emailed the midwest TT director yesterday about the questions I posted, as well as if an ACD tune costs any points (I have read a bunch of threads on here about it but never did find a 100% positive answer).

I will let you know what he says.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
that's weird, i thought the ix SE was basically all the MR goodies but with the 5spd. pretty much the perfect car to start this off
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, if the car has a steel roof, it is not an SE.

You could always do the swap...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I'm still waiting to hear back from the local TT director. I would think that the SE front lip would be fine since the SE is a class "B", but i want to hear that straight from the director. The guy I got my car from wrecked his SE, and then bought a salvage shell that was a theft recovery with a bunch of pieces missing and put the two together to make one (my car). Unfortunately he did not swap the roof or HIDs to the new car.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so heard back from the local (Great Lakes) TT director and he answered most of my questions:

1. JDM Rear bumper: +1 Point
2. Vortex Generator: +1 Point unless you have an MR
3. Gurney flap / wickerbill on spoiler: +4 (ouch)
4. ACD tune: He did not know and deferred to the National TT director to answer this one, so I will hit him up and see what he says here.
5. SE base class. Also going to the national director on this one. Local director thought that the SE parts should cost extra points, but I didn't ask him directly about what base class the SE is so I will get back on that one as well.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Got the final two answers from the National TT director:

The ACD tune is 0 points since it is just a reflash of the ECU.

For the SE, you have to take points for any of the SE parts that are not on the base model, so the front lip does cost extra points. I don't believe any of the other SE parts cost anything though as they are all "no-points" type mods.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have not done so already, then perform the rear LSD re-stack to factory service manual specs. There should be no points for this as it is doing a service to factory specs. This will allow the LSD to work as intended. It will improve cornering rolling into throttle mid-corner by reducing understeer.

Couple this with the ACD re-tune for better turn-in and you will cut times. No points either

Milburn
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by blockade35
Got the final two answers from the National TT director:

The ACD tune is 0 points since it is just a reflash of the ECU.

For the SE, you have to take points for any of the SE parts that are not on the base model, so the front lip does cost extra points. I don't believe any of the other SE parts cost anything though as they are all "no-points" type mods.
good info, ACD for free is definitely a huge boost