Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

How does the ACD reflash and rear diff effect spring rates?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Another bit i want to add. I was also from the camp that prefer larger spring rates in the rear, which is contrary to all motorsports level suspension enginering.

Then i started playing with my rake and jesus christ. 6mm more rake made the difference between a balanced setup at 8/9 spring rates and rear sway at soft, to a setup that is wildly uncontrollable in oversteer. I moved my rear sway to full soft and reduced rake to control it a bit better

This gives me a hunch that perhaps a spring choice based on corner weights would be best, using rake to manipulate your roll couple and control load transfer front/rear. This deserves serious experimentation.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
I'd be willing to bet its more of a bushing issue. I've felt shudders before on my BMW during braking and some turns and it was because the front control arm bushings were beyond shot. The control arms were literally banging inside of its worn out bushing.

What do you have for aftermarket bushings? Engine? Transmission? driveshaft? diff? control arms?

Who is this addressed to?

Another bit i want to add. I was also from the camp that prefer larger spring rates in the rear, which is contrary to all motorsports level suspension enginering.

Then i started playing with my rake and jesus christ. 6mm more rake made the difference between a balanced setup at 8/9 spring rates and rear sway at soft, to a setup that is wildly uncontrollable in oversteer. I moved my rear sway to full soft and reduced rake to control it a bit better

This gives me a hunch that perhaps a spring choice based on corner weights would be best, using rake to manipulate your roll couple and control load transfer front/rear. This deserves serious experimentation.
The reason for a stiffer rear rate is because that is what the car comes, a rear rata that is about 25% stiff than the front. This is due to the rear suspension having a slower motion ratio for the shock. Evo's are about a 60/40 weight bias. BUT, the front motion ratio is very close to 1:1, while the rear is around 1.3:1 (the wheel moves 30% further than the shock)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...stagger-7.html
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
note how they say stagger is traditional. then again, you drive a 10, which I think people do run square rates. we're talking about 8/9s here.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-your-evo.html