Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

How does the ACD reflash and rear diff effect spring rates?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the ACD reflash and rear diff effect spring rates?

I have a neutral handling car but I am considering reflashing the ACD and upgrading to the twelve plate diff.

For those that previously used a higher spring rate in the rear to eliminate understeer will the combination of these upset the stability specifically in long sweepers where you are on the throttle?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

I am not concerned about autocross behavior. Only large track high speed performance.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Subd for info. Very good question here.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

I was discussing using a ACD in my super touring evo. Charlie explained to me that it would not be a benifit in road racing ie 3rd and 4th gear corners. Tighter 2cd gear rally corners are where a ACD helps. As far as spring rates are concerned we do not have a big difference between front and rear weights using the viscous diff. On super speedway tacks like rovals you want a car to understeer a bit so you Know where the limit is. Regular road racing tracks like Mid Ohio can be set up with trailing oversteer.

Last edited by apex electric; Jan 22, 2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is from fast road experience rather than track use: Can't comment on viscous vs. ACD, but reprogrammed ACD vs. stock ACD will eliminate trailing throttle understeer in fast sweepers. Did not feel the need for a RSB with 12-plate and ACD reprogrammed. So, yes I would think less rear bar or spring rate in the rear w/ both reprogrammed ACD & 12-plate. Car can be steered with the throttle, even at higher speeds but maintains a basic slight understeer attitude w/ that set-up.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 371 Likes on 247 Posts
I have the ACD reflash by ACD-tuning, 25mm RSB on soft and restacked factory diff. It works well for faster corners and will power oversteer at lower speeds. I'd recommend the flash because it tightens up the pumps behavior and makes it more sensitive.
I'd try the restack before the 12 plate if its a street car. My car chatters the tires around corners and parking lots and is a little annoying. The 12 plate will be more aggressive.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OL_DIRTY
I have a neutral handling car but I am considering reflashing the ACD and upgrading to the twelve plate diff.

For those that previously used a higher spring rate in the rear to eliminate understeer will the combination of these upset the stability specifically in long sweepers where you are on the throttle?
If you have a neutral handling car, why make any changes?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the stock ACD flash and I have been noticing it more and more this year. It was noticeable during AutoX but I haven't done that for a while so it kind of fell to the back of my mind.

During low speed corners at the track, when the ACD kicks in on corner exit, it disrupts the car. It feels like I'm jumping a curb and unsettles pretty much everything in the car: the steering, the tires, and even the turbo and engine both stutter for a second.

I am on street tires. Would the increased grip of semi-slicks marginalize the activation? Do the ACD reflashes make the ramp rates more reasonable or do they just turn everything up?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:27 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
I have the stock ACD flash and I have been noticing it more and more this year. It was noticeable during AutoX but I haven't done that for a while so it kind of fell to the back of my mind.

During low speed corners at the track, when the ACD kicks in on corner exit, it disrupts the car. It feels like I'm jumping a curb and unsettles pretty much everything in the car: the steering, the tires, and even the turbo and engine both stutter for a second.

I am on street tires. Would the increased grip of semi-slicks marginalize the activation? Do the ACD reflashes make the ramp rates more reasonable or do they just turn everything up?
What flash are you running?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij

Originally Posted by golgo13
What flash are you running?

You know I've noticed a similar feeling in tight corners but I attribute it to my RSB not moving as freely as i would like it to. Im not sure who recommended this but I plan to pick up some teflon tape for my RSB and hope that smooths things out. But hey maybe it is the ACD and not my bar?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Doh, reading comprehension fail.

I would venture to guess it's not the flash in this case or there would have been quite a few people sharing a similar experience.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 239 Likes on 215 Posts
interesting discussion - rear diff is just for on power more or less vs. steady state, where the ACD can have some influence. in general for steady state I think you gotta rely on good old fashioned mechanical suspension. Anyway rear springs need to be higher because of the Evo's motion ratio in the rear
Old Nov 3, 2015, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,343 Posts
The TRE max lock in my car improved steady state and in power rotation. The English Racing ACD flash had a profound effect on off throttle rotation, and also helped a decent amount with steady state and on throttle. I'm working with Aaron to solve some under steer it induced when I pick the throttle up and the turbo isn't spooled. It only does if I go straight to WOT, if I roll into the throttle it doesn't do it. Aaron is confident we can iron it out.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 239 Likes on 215 Posts
interesting what you mentioned - similar drivetrain setup here - ER ACD tune, and Cusco 1.5way done up by TRE
Old Nov 3, 2015, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd be willing to bet its more of a bushing issue. I've felt shudders before on my BMW during braking and some turns and it was because the front control arm bushings were beyond shot. The control arms were literally banging inside of its worn out bushing.

What do you have for aftermarket bushings? Engine? Transmission? driveshaft? diff? control arms?

Quick Reply: How does the ACD reflash and rear diff effect spring rates?