Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2014 BStreet Autocross Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BStreet Autocross Roll Call!

2014 is a year with many changes, changes that will likely make the Evo a factor again in stock classes. Whoohooo! Curious to see who will be out and what they will be in.

This is a shot in the dark, I haven't seen or heard many evo's coming out to play in BS, but the year is EARLY, so let's so who has been in hiding.

Roll call!

Name: Preston
Region: LOL
Years competing: 3
2014 Events: Blythville Pro, Lincoln Spring Pro/Tour,Wilmington Pro/Tour, Lincoln Nats.
Year/Model: 2013 GSR
Tires: 265/40/18 RS3's
Wheels: Stock
Shocks: Stock
Sway: 25mm perrin rear, set full soft.
Alignment: Max camber and caster front, -1.5 rear. zero toe.
Other: Drop in filter, exhaust turn down.

To note, the Hankook RS3's are yet to ship I have pre-ordered the new compound that will ship early May. The new RS3 should be faster in the cold and wet yet still have it's high heat tolerance and massive lateral grip. Kinda sounds too good to be true....guess I will find out.

My fat Evo X will be staying local, mainly because I think the 8&9 are much better suited for BS. Past the 8 and 9 there are a handful of cars that are probably better suited, s2k, z0k, sti to name a few. But locally the X should do just fine with knowing that all of our sites have low grip/poor surfaces, the awd will be nice.

For national events I will be co-driving in a STF Focus. Yes, it's slow.... I will be at Blythville in an unknown car yet, currently registered in STX with the WRX I drove last year. However, I will possibly be jumping ship to an STF car to get Pro points in the class I will actually be driving in.

Hope to see some of you guys out there!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts
Yeah, I think the 8/9 should be in very good shape. -2 front, -1 rear, big rear bar, do the rear diff mod, maybe get some revalved Bilsteins - should even be fun. I drove my 9MR stock + RE11's on stock wheels + alignment and I was surprised how well it handled - and that was before the diff mod. If this had happened a year ago I'd have had to think about running in B-street for year 1.

(That said, STU mods make the car go from pretty fun to stupid fun )
Old Mar 2, 2014, 01:18 PM

I realize this thread has been open for only a few hours but I think I forgot that the reality of the matter is the amount of Evo 8 and 9's eligible for stock class has to be incredibly low. You would likely have to de-mod any potential car.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I look forward to seeing how you and the X do locally this year, Preston!

I'll be interested to see how you end up liking the R-S3's on the Evo. Previous intarwebz consensus seemed to have been with the Z2's, especially on heavy cars due to their stiffer sidewall, but the 200tw tire wars are having a great impact on all options.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BriK
I look forward to seeing how you and the X do locally this year, Preston!

I'll be interested to see how you end up liking the R-S3's on the Evo. Previous intarwebz consensus seemed to have been with the Z2's, especially on heavy cars due to their stiffer sidewall, but the 200tw tire wars are having a great impact on all options.

The Z2 would be on the top of the list if my intentionswas purely autox but with Proving grounds and a couple other days at BIRplanned I need something that can handle the heat. The Z2 is a terrific tireout of the gate and progressively gets slower as it heats. On a two driver carthe Z2 needs to be sprayed after every run in warm to hot weather to controltemps. We also found out at nats if you do end up overheating the tire it isextremely difficult to get the temps back into the "good" range evenwith spraying.

Still, the Z2 is EXTREMELY fast first run, all season I had a great first run that others would eventually beat on their third while I got slower...I thought it was a consistency thing until we started spraying after every run and found the times more consistent. Compared back to back tothe rival the Z2 was faster, braked better, accelerated better, had betterlateral grip.

Last edited by gumby4mayor; Mar 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ Makes sense and I've regularly heard the same thing. You may have seen Dunlop is coming out with a Z2 Star Spec for 2015 with a new compound which will handle heat better.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:04 PM

Yep. The new compounds from hankook and dunlop are all based off the AD08R technology, obviously the compounds will all be different still but the new tech allows for better cold and wet grip while still retaining the high dry grip and heat range. (As how it's been explained to me by our insider tire guy)

This is why I think out of the bunch the Hankook will still be the best with already having the best lateral grip and heat tolerance out of any tire in my size. If you can get over the "sloppy" feel they provide tremendous grip in sweepers. They are great in transitions too, it's not like the grip just goes away depending on movement, it's just the squishy feeling makes it appear slower, even though it isn't. The biggest thing is you just need to turn in a little sooner than you would with any of the other tires except maybe a full tread toyo. Obviously just my experience, others may have other impressions.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

I did a few events last year in a B Street legal Evo IX and won RTA at last year's Dover, DE national tour. I think the IX is a good car for the class, obviously especially in the rain and cold.

The only changes to the car were 255/40/17 Rivals, the Whiteline adjustable rear bar on full stiff, and OEM MR Bilsteins. The newer option in the Solo rules to run a big rear bar really seemed to make the biggest difference and gives the Evo 8&9 a fighting chance.

I never had the opportunity to try the ZIIs yet on any cars, but in my experience, the Rival is superior to the Hankook RS3 in every way except that the Rival does not handle extreme heat as well.

I am planning to run a different car in B Street this season, but might see a few events in the Evo IX, especially if it rains...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
I did a few events last year in a B Street legal Evo IX and won RTA at last year's Dover, DE national tour. I think the IX is a good car for the class, obviously especially in the rain and cold.

The only changes to the car were 255/40/17 Rivals, the Whiteline adjustable rear bar on full stiff, and OEM MR Bilsteins. The newer option in the Solo rules to run a big rear bar really seemed to make the biggest difference and gives the Evo 8&9 a fighting chance.

I never had the opportunity to try the ZIIs yet on any cars, but in my experience, the Rival is superior to the Hankook RS3 in every way except that the Rival does not handle extreme heat as well.

I am planning to run a different car in B Street this season, but might see a few events in the Evo IX, especially if it rains...
I remember seeing your car at Dover last year and thinking... Whoa, there's an Evo out there that's still legal for stock class?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I remember seeing your car at Dover last year and thinking... Whoa, there's an Evo out there that's still legal for stock class?
Did we meet? What were you driving?

Lol! Still got a factory warranty for 2+ more years. But after that, all bets are off I guess...

An IX finished 1 & 2 in BS at the Dixie Tour over the weekend. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...20Results4.pdf

However, note that they would have finished a fairly distant 2 & 3 to a DS Audi TT. Not sure if weather conditions were a factor either...

Also, anyone know what tires and size the BS IX was on at Dixie?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 07:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
Did we meet? What were you driving?

Lol! Still got a factory warranty for 2+ more years. But after that, all bets are off I guess...

An IX finished 1 & 2 in BS at the Dixie Tour over the weekend. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...20Results4.pdf

However, note that they would have finished a fairly distant 2 & 3 to a DS Audi TT. Not sure if weather conditions were a factor either...

Also, anyone know what tires and size the BS IX was on at Dixie?
I did not actually say hi, just saw the car in paddock. Sucks there is no Dover this year.

There was something on solomatters that said the IX in question was on Federals:
http://www.solomatters.com/dixie_recap_day_1_2014
Other classes brought some surprising results, such as B Street, with the son/father duo of AJ and Jay Parcon setting the pace for the class in their 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX. Most surprisingly was the fact that they were both running on Federal tires, as opposed to the latest crop of grippy street tires. The Parcons felt that the tire was a lot more predictable and afforded them significantly more slip angle than the more commonly seen Dunlops or Hankooks, which lets them drive the car faster on the asphalt surface.
I wonder if they have the diff done?

Feinberg in DS is really fast - a SoloPro instructor, and he has a jacket (http://soloprodrivingschool.com/staff) - so not all that surprising that he raw timed BS.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:09 PM

I'll be running B Street Street this year as well. 2012 GSR, 245 Z2s and revalved Bilsteins. I'll probably grab a rear bar mid year as well.

Almost exclusively locally, but we host a Championship Tour (NJ), so I'll be running that.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Just got mounted set of 275/35/18 RS3s two days ago and hoping for weather to get worm enough for the first event in 10 days. Looks like there will be few more EVOs in BS this year!!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Just got mounted set of 275/35/18 RS3s two days ago and hoping for weather to get worm enough for the first event in 10 days. Looks like there will be few more EVOs in BS this year!!
I was looking for this thread since it's a better place for B-street tire discussion than the STU thread -

Here's a good thread from NASIOC about an RTA car, should be vaguely similar in principle to a B-street Evo. A decent amount of tire sizing discussion in here.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2330630
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:06 AM

Count in another Evo in B-Street. Have the identical car that HiBoost has – 2011 Octane Blue Evo X MR. But I’ve got LoBoost ;o)

The car currently is the way it was driven off the dealer lot in late Nov 2011. Living in the Tug Hill Plateau, we’re still waiting for the snow to melt so we can get to the car out back in the barn.

Have a Hotchkis RSW picked up a few months ago. Will get a 4-wheel alignment ASAP. And looking at Yokohama AD08R on PFO1s. Our first event isn’t until the first week in May so not in a hurry.

Was hoping to try the Pro Solo in D.C. but the car won’t be ready by then. Additionally, I was shocked to learn the event “sold out” in the first 3 hours of the first day of registration.

-- joe

Quick Reply: 2014 BStreet Autocross Roll Call!