Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Race Technology DL-1 discussion - v2

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014 | 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Race Technology DL-1 discussion - v2

Back from the dead. The old thread from 08 didn't have much useful data in it so I started a new one. The recent timing thread inspired me to upgrade to the DL1-MK3 and a DASH3 due to the sheer capability. I've never used a DL1 myself but I've seen it in action enough times and I know several of you do so what i'd like to know

- Has anyone gotten the ECU connected, if so how and what are you logging
- What sensors are you using with success, which ones aren't so useful

My idea is to start with the basic Accel/GPS/Map data. Once i'm comfortable with that I would retire my ZT-1 and move AFR/Boost/Oil/Water/temp/pressure/GoPro etc all over to the DL1. Then, finally, I'll have something other then my rear-end and a fancy stopwatch to determine what's faster and what's slower. Only took me 6 years
Old Apr 11, 2014 | 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we first set up the Race Tech system with my Autronic ecu we had altitude,gforce,throttle position, brake position,last lap, best lap, lap#,mph,boost,rpm,water temp, gear position, battery volts, air density, and intake temp. Plus the 2 camera video. Now with the stock evo 8 ecu I only had altitude,g force, mph, rpm,water temp and gear position. Next month the car goes back to Charlie at Function First Motorsports for furthur set up. Charlie will have a better understanding once he spends some more time and could answer your questions. We never added additional ride height sensors. Hopefully we will be testing at a 1/2 mile flat stock car track before the NASA Thompson Speedway event. I hope we can get it fully operating then play with brake bias with empty/full tank and suspension tuning. In the **** pit I use the Mychron timer display which uses a beacon, turbo boost and AF gauges on the column and a Smart Max rpm display on top of the dash.
Old Apr 11, 2014 | 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

For the stock ecu were you using RT's serial OBD2 or what? If what you listed 2nd is possible I can easily get the rest you listed 1st combining the display and a few analog sensors. Not gonna have time to get crazy with suspension sensors.....yet lol.
Old Apr 13, 2014 | 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Were using OBD2 but you need the $400 module. They get you coming and going! Great system someone needs to help me post the video/data. The video screen layout Charlie worked on is perfect.

All the electrical has been moved on board. Nothing under the hood that does not belong. The harness was shortened/modified to remove/move weight.

I bought a small video back up screen that we use to aim the camera's. Thats the yellow video and black power cable hanging from the Video4 unit.
The Race Tech ecu obd2 adapter is the thin small black box to the left of the Smart Max controller.

Last edited by apex electric; Apr 13, 2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2014 | 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Nice, organized mess just like mine haha. So in this setup do you have a DL1 MK1 plus a Video4? Also I'm not finding a $400 adapter but it looks like "universal OBD2" is the only option now, same thing? Basically OBD2 -> serial to dash -> serial to DL1 it looks like?

http://www.race-technology.com/unive...ce_8_7583.html

For video I have a 960 gopro i'm going to turn into the rear facing camera, then get a Hero3 white with the RT interface/start/stop cable so I can "start" video and logging at the same time via the Dash3. Note that this isn't necessary as the software will sync via the timestamps on the files, or manually, but who wants to remember to push 47 buttons before you go out on a session ya know. Your other option is the Video4 unit like above using their cameras for an even slicker setup. This thing is unbelievable with the amount of s*** you can capture and analyze. Should be here on Tuesday, gotta steal a windows laptop from work...as many times people have asked, one of these vendors needs to make iPad software for these things. Or at least OSX.

PM me your email so I can take a look at a session of data and video, i'll practice with yours/figure it out and let you know the shortcuts.
Old Apr 14, 2014 | 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by apex electric
Were using OBD2 but you need the $400 module. They get you coming and going! Great system someone needs to help me post the video/data. The video screen layout Charlie worked on is perfect.
I'd love to see this screen layout.

Also, how is the software for analyzing the data? Can someone post some screenshots?
Old Apr 14, 2014 | 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have searched the knowledge section of Race Tech's web site but I can not find a description of how to post the video/data overlay on the web/u tube...Can anyone shed some light on this?
I have race recordings form Pocono, Watkins Glen and Mid Ohio.
Old Apr 14, 2014 | 11:44 AM

I have a Mk1 green connector DL1 for sale, if anyone is interested, PM me. Comes with GPS module and spare connectors. Functionally the same as the MK2, but has 7 analog inputs instead of 8.
I think the Race Technology software is top notch - it is powerful, so there is a learning curve, but it makes Traqmate look like a joke.

Apex - PM me your email and I'll explain the procedure.
Old Jun 19, 2014 | 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am thinking about getting this for my data logging. I want to know mostly about the OBD-2 connection.
  • How hard is it to setup?
  • The OBD-2 can pull in many different variables from the ECU. I have it setup for stand-alone logging with my Tactrix 2.0 which had a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to setup. How difficult is this to setup for OBD-2 logging? Can you log all parameters you want or is there a limit?
  • Are there useful guides to setting up everything you want? Is there an API to it or is it all pre-defined?
Old Jun 19, 2014 | 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I personally wouldn't use the RT OBD2 connector again, I returned mine. From what I've seen and what Apex said above you only really get RPM, Water, and a couple other things. I went full analog and got RPM, Throttle Position, Boost, AFR, Water Temp, Oil Temp, and Oil Pressure - then the rest you get with GPS and Gyro. The wires were there for the Zeitronix and the ECU was right next to it so it was fairly easy. Still fine tuning the zeitronix sensors however so I'd recommend getting RT sensors so it's just a drop down instead of a equation mission. Also be sure to get the GoPro license if you plan to use that.
Old Jun 20, 2014 | 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I personally wouldn't use the RT OBD2 connector again, I returned mine. From what I've seen and what Apex said above you only really get RPM, Water, and a couple other things. I went full analog and got RPM, Throttle Position, Boost, AFR, Water Temp, Oil Temp, and Oil Pressure - then the rest you get with GPS and Gyro. The wires were there for the Zeitronix and the ECU was right next to it so it was fairly easy. Still fine tuning the zeitronix sensors however so I'd recommend getting RT sensors so it's just a drop down instead of a equation mission. Also be sure to get the GoPro license if you plan to use that.
In the RT software, does it give you a limited menu of the parameters it will pull from OBD-2 or can you program in the requests yourself? What functionality does the software give you to scale/program/set things?

For the RPM, do you have to splice into a coil wire?
Old Jun 20, 2014 | 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nollij
In the RT software, does it give you a limited menu of the parameters it will pull from OBD-2 or can you program in the requests yourself? What functionality does the software give you to scale/program/set things?

For the RPM, do you have to splice into a coil wire?
For RPM no not at all, there's a green wire going into the ECU that Zeitronix and several other half-data loggers use in their directions. You can cut and splice or tap. I taped because I ran out of time but i'm going to cut and splice later on. Same for Throttle which is a grey wire. RPM goes into RPM-L since it's the low voltage reading, Throttle into one of the analogs.

For OBD you have to disable ALL of the analog readings to get anything from OBD/Serial, then you run the monitor program and watch whats coming in, then you have to map them to what you want, only to find the limited amount of readings. Save the 300 bucks for sensors you don't already have and/or the video license.
Old Jun 20, 2014 | 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
For RPM no not at all, there's a green wire going into the ECU that Zeitronix and several other half-data loggers use in their directions. You can cut and splice or tap. I taped because I ran out of time but i'm going to cut and splice later on. Same for Throttle which is a grey wire. RPM goes into RPM-L since it's the low voltage reading, Throttle into one of the analogs.

For OBD you have to disable ALL of the analog readings to get anything from OBD/Serial, then you run the monitor program and watch whats coming in, then you have to map them to what you want, only to find the limited amount of readings. Save the 300 bucks for sensors you don't already have and/or the video license.
Well that just seems useless to not be able to log the analog inputs and the OBD at the same time.

I guess I could just keep on using my Tactrix and use the RT for everything else. The only overlap I could want on both is Throttle and speed (albeit the ECU/Tactrix does a **** job at speed). I guess it is time to put the AFR gauge onto the ECU through the rear O2 sensor input.

Thanks for the advice. What did you all use as a 5V fuse bus for the sensors to keep the wires relatively clean?
Old Jun 21, 2014 | 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nollij
Well that just seems useless to not be able to log the analog inputs and the OBD at the same time.

I guess I could just keep on using my Tactrix and use the RT for everything else. The only overlap I could want on both is Throttle and speed (albeit the ECU/Tactrix does a **** job at speed). I guess it is time to put the AFR gauge onto the ECU through the rear O2 sensor input.

Thanks for the advice. What did you all use as a 5V fuse bus for the sensors to keep the wires relatively clean?
No you can log analog and obd2, but you can only use a predetermined channel on one or the other. For example if you are pulling analog water temp and are doing the calculations ON the DL1, then you cannot pull OBD2 water temp. Same in reverse. Such as my case I have an external water temp sensor logging to analog, so it will NOT show up on the OBD. However if you use one for water temp, then call analog1 something else and just log voltage, THEN do the calculations in display or analysis called Water2 thats also acceptable.

Again by default theres not a lot in OBD it'll read automatically, best to just wire the sensors directly, plus no risk of a fancy obd2 adapter going bad and not getting data.
Old Jun 23, 2014 | 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone know why this is available in the UK region but not in the US?

http://www.race-technology.com/tyre_...e_2_31116.html

Quick Reply: Race Technology DL-1 discussion - v2