Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Which kirkey for AX and future HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Which kirkey for AX and future HPDE?

Hey guys, Im wanting to swap my stock seat out for something that fits me a little better. Kirkey is extremely economical and I would be able to follow all provisions for mounting. I don't think I need intermediate road race, but when I look at seats that say "drag" I get scared. Any advice?

I have not done any HPDE, but Im trying to gear my set up towards something that can be safe for that also.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a big preference. Some people like aluminum seats like Butler and Kirkey. Others absolutely don't like them in sedans. Have you sat in a sedan with one?
Bigger drivers use them since you can have them custom sized for height ect..
Also fixed seats need a race harness which is not smart in a street car unless you have a roll bar to hold the roof up.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:23 PM
EvoM Guru

So which kirkey seat would be more appropriate? I'm 6'6 275 it's certainly a fitment issue

Like I said mounting provisions will be met. In Kirkey seats I believe you need a back plate for support and I won't be able to do that sans roll bar.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Apr 26, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

sub'd

Im also curious. 6'6 200lb here and have a hard time with most fixed seats. Im currently running a corbeau forza sport that barely gets the job done, but id like to get something custom sized that is affordable and lighter.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
im 6'1" 240. Had a buddy club wide in one of my old hondas. very comfortable seat, and pretty cheap. definitely more comfy than all aluminum.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 06:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Hey guys, Im wanting to swap my stock seat out for something that fits me a little better. Kirkey is extremely economical and I would be able to follow all provisions for mounting. I don't think I need intermediate road race, but when I look at seats that say "drag" I get scared. Any advice?
Find a local race shop, and sit in things. Or ask around at your next local autox/HPDE if that's not an option.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

The only shop around here is for roundy rounds and they won't order a seat to let me sit in. I'd have to have the model picked out and best measurements to verify fitment, order once and done.

They don't have any advice for the seat style. I have asked. STM would be the nearest import shop at 2.5 hours away, and Kirkey itself is about 2 hrs in Canada. Ibsanspassport

It's a tough fit I'm kinda the lurch wherever I go. Not easy sitting in a 16" seat saying yeah larger would be better when it feels like crap to begin with.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Apr 27, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
im 6'1" 240. Had a buddy club wide in one of my old hondas. very comfortable seat, and pretty cheap. definitely more comfy than all aluminum.
I'd go that route, but how tall was the back I find that the harnesses tend to have poor fitment with tall shoulders like I have, so that when tensioned they compress my back.

I'll measure again tomorrow but I know I need an 18" hip width.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You really need to find friends with seats to try, go to a speed shop and try seats, or attend a track day and ask folks to try seats, most are happy to help.

For us larger people, you really need to see what fits.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
The only shop around here is for roundy rounds and they won't order a seat to let me sit in. I'd have to have the model picked out and best measurements to verify fitment, order once and done.

They don't have any advice for the seat style. I have asked. STM would be the nearest import shop at 2.5 hours away, and Kirkey itself is about 2 hrs in Canada. Ibsanspassport

It's a tough fit I'm kinda the lurch wherever I go. Not easy sitting in a 16" seat saying yeah larger would be better when it feels like crap to begin with.
Go to Stable Energies in Jersey, I'm not sure how far they are from you but it's worth the drive. They have all Kirkey seats in stock, and all Recaro Seats as well, so you can sit in literally everything and find the right seat. My buddy just bought a set from them for his Miata, and I just spent an hour there trying helmets on, before picking the right one.

Like helmets, seats are very hard to buy without personally sitting in them first.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by boostincincy
Go to Stable Energies in Jersey, I'm not sure how far they are from you but it's worth the drive. They have all Kirkey seats in stock, and all Recaro Seats as well, so you can sit in literally everything and find the right seat. My buddy just bought a set from them for his Miata, and I just spent an hour there trying helmets on, before picking the right one.

Like helmets, seats are very hard to buy without personally sitting in them first.
6-8 hours. I'm 5-6 north of NYC
It's not that big of a deal. I wanted to know which Kirkey for ax, that's all. I bought my Simpson online with out trying one on, measure twice buy once!