Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Does anyone like NASCAR racing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2002, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well to put it mildly...
it's boreing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all they do is go straight then turn left
wheres the fun in that??
now maybe if they took off the governers...
or allowed the car makers to use their brains to do whatever they can to the body...
it could be interesting
but for now the only thing i like is all the trashy girls that watch...
just my 2 cents because you asked
Old Oct 17, 2002, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

NASCAR is all about parity. the goal is for the better driver to win - but they emphasised this too much. now, the cars are 100% equal - drivers don't even matter any more. that, and it pisses me off that they call the cars Taurus, Intrepid etc and have NOTHING to do with the production cars. I understand that C5Rs and 911 GT2s don't roll off the production line by the hundred, but they do at least start their lives as generic vettes or 911s. NASCAR is just boring... no drama, except the crashes - which are spectacular....
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

no drama...man....you should watch a season. sterling marlin was leading the entire season and bam he gets in a crash and is out for the rest. the points lead has changed hands a couple times now and it is all up in the air.

i don't see how nascar is soooo much different than watching any other race. they all go fast....i mean watching an F1 race isn't all that great to me, ferrari always wins, and once you see a car make a turn real fast once, how many times do you have to see it? the exciting part (as any nascar fan will tell you) is rooting for your favorite driver. if you don't pick a driver it definitely could be boring. but that's the same for any sport...if you have no interest in two football teams playing than that's gonna be boring to watch too. also....for everyone who is bashing nascar and promoting F1, I assume you watch F1 (or whatever else) constantly? or you're just saying that F1 is cool cause they go around turns. there's more to racing than the amount of turns you make. on a short track....there's so much skill involved (as with any other type of race) in proper cornering and braking, not so different than F1. on long tracks, there's something to be said about going 200mph for 3 hours straight with 42 other cars within 500 feet of you. dont' bash it til you watch it. it's gaining popularity for a reason, cause more people are understanding it. you're allowed to have your opinion but give it a try first.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I think you even regular drivers can do well in Nascar.

IMO, Nascar races are boring...Not much skills involved

Drag racing, rally, and circuit racing are the best!
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

its all about rally racing and f1. those are the best drivers in the world....and they dont go in circles.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Yah I agree with you 100%
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:35 AM

IMO NASCAR is dull...

When I watch WRC, I am on the edge of my seat, if I watch NASCAR, I find myself restless and looking for something else to do. Dont care about any of the specifics of the sport, I just know that I dont find it entertaining.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Nothing compares to WRC. However as with all things in life it is how you interpret the event that will determin your happiness. For the record I like to go to the winston cup west series at irwindale, CA (irwindalespeedway.com)with a few friends of mine every now and then and let me tell you, it's a blast. The races are short and usually pretty intense and the fans are so die hard steriotypical NASCAR fans that its also part comedy show. Every now and then theres a wreck which is spectacular and sometimes even a demo derby or figure 8 track race. NASCAR on TV can be boring if you don't understand how it works and what makes it competetive and such. However if millions of people can find this as there passion then so can you, with the right mindset of corse.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

i agree guack! see, you don't have to choose ONE type of racing to like...you can like them all!!

i went to the dover downs race this year and it's true, it is funny to see everyone wearing their white trash nascar BWOW! graphics t-shirts. but to hear those things go buy you, it is so amazing how incredibly LOUD it is!!!
Old Oct 18, 2002, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cupOZnj
i believe one of the main reasons that nascar does not want toyota, or any other foreign car manufacturer in their series, is because they are foreign. this is a truely pure american sport, if you watch it they even say a prayer at the beginning of each race. i am not religious and do not find myself drawn to the fact that they pray, but you have to look at the fact that the majority of fans that watch this are christians. only recently has there been introduction of african-american owners....and introducing foreign cars into this race series would not be a smart move in terms of fan interest. i also disagree that competition would be really stiff. since that these supposed toyotas would be restricted to the same terms as the other manufacturers, than all the cars would be pretty similar and have equal opportunity, which is the point of stock car racing.

That sounds like the status quo for the good old boy network, and christianity or not has nothing to do with it.

Here are some flaws w/ that logic:

1) Look at CART. They pray too, but it hasn't stop Honda and Toyo from competing with Cosworth-Ford and Mercedes/Chevy-Illmor.

2) If BMW wants to enter their 3 series sedan, they will be meet with fierce resistance, because they are foreign Germans. That's hard to believe in this time in age.

3) Heck, even in CART, there is a 19 yr-old girl racing pro. How many 19 yrs in the US are mature enough to handle +225 mph. Extremely rare . . . don't say you can too at that age.

4) Hendrick is the first person to launch the honda program in NASCAR (he has a dealership - "win sunday and sell monday" concept), but he is being met with nick-picking and stonewalling excuses.

5) You probably know full well that NASCAR is a pure marketing scheme, and that's why Toyo and Honda want to enter it and leave IRL/CART to die on its own.

6) You're probably saying that Toyo and Honda have no V8. Fortunately, they can raid their luxury division or their CART program for the block and use carby.

Look how much money they will be saving w/o R&D in a TC system. Every manufacturers want to save some money on the racing program, except for F1. Unfortunately, that's why Porsche hasn't had a factory backing of any car since the late 90's - fiscal tight-wad now).

Then again, why did you not explain the reason for the resistor plate since Awesome Bill blasted Talladega +210 mph.

http://www.dailyhome.com/sports/2002...-2d16r3327.htm

Here's the link.

Awesome Bill, Big Dale, The King, Rusty, and few others all hate the resistor plate! In turn, rule makers make them grumble away in anger.

Who like to see a bunch of scared drivers leaving the gravy train to pass someone w/o a drafting partner? This is not racing, just ask The King whenever you get the chance to meet him (very anti-restrictor plate).

This is why I dislike NASCAR. Once Davie Allision died, Awesome Bill lost his speed, Swervin Irvin changed to Ford, and Hendrick's trio of racers sucking, I gave up on the sport because of restrictor.

If I want driver skill, I just watch IROC!

Hey, this is not being mad at you personally, just venting the stupidity of NASCAR.

Last edited by bahamut; Oct 18, 2002 at 06:30 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

about the toyota point. as i said this is an american sport (the christianity and whiteness was a sidenote). do you see japanese teams playing in the NFL? it is completely domestic and non-international. CART whoever IS international and it even competes on foreign soil. nascar racing was bred in the deep south, by moonshiners and good-ole boys. this is their fan base. it is expanding, but the majority of race fans are these types of people, who want to see ford, chevy, dodge, pontiac race, in their opinion american muscle, not little **** kicker hondas. IMO, the sport wouldn't be the same with foreign cars.

as for restrictor plates, i agree they are gay. but you have to agree that they have made major improvements in the form of safety over the past couple years, specially since Dale Sr. died. nowadays, drivers walk away from huge crashes with mild scratches, which i think is a good thing because then they are NOT DEAD and can race again! these cars have much more tendency to lose control than open wheel, and you have to admit there are much more major crashes in nascar. they are just trying to keep it safe.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Being one to go to NASCAR events. Even the fan base in california, one of the more liberal states, would not want anything but the american cars that are already in it and maybe a crysler or cadillac but certaintly not a honda. Despite the hope that the country and world have becoming open minded it just isn't true. Yes they are slowly opening up but I wouldn't expect it for at least 10 years. As for saftey and the restrictor plate. The plate does help keep speed down but as for the drivers walking away that is thanx to new technology like the hans neck device not the restrictor plate.

my 2 cents

Old Oct 20, 2002, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

well....the restrictor plates don't help people walk away from accidents, but it helps PREVENT accidents. they are trying to make it as safe as they can. granted, it does take a little away from the sport, but safety is much more important than appeal in my opinion. i didn't like the smaller fuel cells (for increased pit stops and bigger pack spacing between cars), but it is all about safety.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
my opinion on nascar:

"real drivers turn right"

wrc is definitely where it's at. not only do you actually have to take the COURSE into account when prepping for a rally (i.e., the safari rally) but in what other racing event do people finish stages on 3 wheels and get flipped back over by the crowds when they go offroad?

not to mention, they turn the steering wheel more than 1 degree at a time. i like F1, cart, and of course autox too but spectator wise, rally is #1 for me.

-bd
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
not to mention, seeing those things glorifying dale earnhardt as some american hero makes me sick. it's sad when anyone dies, but race car drivers are not heroes. teachers, parents, police, nurses, firefighers, but not professional left turners.

-bd