Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Roof Panel Replacement - SM AutoX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Panel Replacement - SM AutoX

I'm looking for some clarification for the SCCA Solo rules and roof replacements. I have a 2003 GSR with a sunroof that I autocross in SM and want to replace the roof with a non-sunroof panel but I'm not sure whats legal. I have read the rules and think I have them straight but was wondering if others have been through this. The rules state:

N. Removable OE hardtops, T-tops, targa tops, sunroofs, moonroofs, and similar roof-mounted panels may be removed/replaced with alternate panels provided that the area of interface is limited to the original perimeter of the t-top, sunroof, etc. or utilizes the OE panel mount points, and that the contour of any replacement panel surface does not vary from the contour of the part being replaced by more than 1” (25.4 mm) in any direction. The material used to construct the alternate panel and the method used to attach it to the interface is unrestricted. Any actuation mechanism and the associated wiring, if any, may be removed. Vehicles utilizing alternate (non-OE) hardtops will be considered as open cars in regard to Section 3.3.1.

I would really like to put a carbon fiber roof or the RS/MR aluminum roof but I am not sure of the interpretation of panel and if they are referring to just the glass piece or the whole roof body panel.

Last edited by PAdutch; Nov 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

What further confuses me is that in street prepared the rule is this:

O. Sunroof-equipped cars may be converted to a solid-roof configuration provided a model without a sunroof is listed on the same line in Appendix A.

Appendix A lists all years Evo 2003-2007 (including models with aluminum roofs) and because SM inherits all allowances from SP doesn't this mean it is legal to change to the aluminum roof?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 03:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
It would seem to me that your sunroof is not "removable," so the SM rule is irrelevant. Under the SP rule, you can convert your roof to another OEM configuration, like a Mitsu aluminum roof. I don't think a CF roof would be legal on an Evo. By contrast, on my SM t-top Camaro, I could replace the t-tops with CF pieces though, provided they work with the stock attachment points, etc.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
It would seem to me that your sunroof is not "removable," so the SM rule is irrelevant. Under the SP rule, you can convert your roof to another OEM configuration, like a Mitsu aluminum roof. I don't think a CF roof would be legal on an Evo. By contrast, on my SM t-top Camaro, I could replace the t-tops with CF pieces though, provided they work with the stock attachment points, etc.
I think the "removable" part is only referring to the "Removable OE hardtop", like a single unit. I've never heard of a removable sunroof/moonroof but I don't know everything. What further enforces that is they talk about removing actuators and wiring. Anything with an actuator and wiring is not going to be "removable". So I again am wondering if they are referring to panels as in the whole roof panel or simply the glass.

I guess the safest thing to do would be the OE aluminum roof but what does a full conversion entail. I would guess the non-sunroof headliner, but is there anything else?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do believe that replacing the roof to CF is legal in SM, as far as I understand replacing parts ie; fenders, bumpers, doors, hood, trunk to CF is legal. Changing rear bumper to JDM tho isn't. Weird. C
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Replacing the roof with CF is definitely not legal in SM. There's nothing that says you can do it explicitly, so you should assume that you can't. Replacing door or glass is also not legal.

The JDM bumper itself is legal; however, the fact that you have to modify the rear crash beam for it to fit is questionably legal. IMO, if you can make the necessary modifications by only removing < 1lb of material from the crash beam, then it's fair game. I've yet to see anyone demonstrate this though. I don't care enough to be a guinea pig.

Last edited by RJones; Nov 13, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
Replacing the roof with CF is definitely not legal in SM. There's nothing that says you can do it explicitly, so you should assume that you can't. Replacing door or glass is also not legal.

The JDM bumper itself is legal; however, the fact that you have to modify the rear crash beam for it to fit is questionably legal. IMO, if you can make the necessary modifications by only removing < 1lb of material from the crash beam, then it's fair game. I've yet to see anyone demonstrate this though. I don't care enough to be a guinea pig.
As I have questioned previously, you could modify the rear bumper to shorten the brackets as needed and then weld back on some of that removed weight to another part of the bumper to make it the same weight as the unmodified version.