Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
All those are legal in stock class. springs you can't do unless you do the whole package for ACR, and it was an option from the factory.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think his exhaust *might* be a catless exhaust, but even if it is, I'm not going to protest when 90% of my loss had to do with my crappy driving.

I am kicking myself for not going with 275s like MrAWD did when I was tire shopping last season. Back then I wasn't taking this autocross thing that seriously but now I am .
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:25 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Prime12
I think his exhaust *might* be a catless exhaust, but even if it is, I'm not going to protest when 90% of my loss had to do with my crappy driving.

I am kicking myself for not going with 275s like MrAWD did when I was tire shopping last season. Back then I wasn't taking this autocross thing that seriously but now I am .
i'm not sure of your guys' courses, but here horsepower doesn't amount to much. i beat a LOT of cars in that Neon, i'm talking about quite a few were many, many classes above GS, too. goes to show a fast car ain't always fast . the guy could just be a decent driver, like you are saying.
as for tires, i run 255s, on my car, and have no problem keeping up with others. granted, i'm not super into AX and haven't run a national event... but for local events, i haven't found a need to go with a larger tire. well, that and the treadwidth on my R-S3s (according to TireRack.com) is only about .3" narrower than most 275s. i didn't think that was worth a new set of wheels and tires, plus having to bump to 18" wheels.
i understand, though, that in Street classes you gotta look for every little advantage you can find.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Could you guys possibly criticize my run from yesterday?

That was a 75.5. I did run a 75.1 later but it was dirty. Would it have been possible to run, say, 2 seconds quicker with a proper driver?

Reason asking, I got completely destroyed by a local 370z in my class by 2.3 seconds. I'm still perplexed because we used to run fairly close last season.

To be fair, he did prep the whole car for this season (brand new 275 RE71Rs, Koni shocks, FSB, exhaust). I am on a stock GSR with just an air filter and a season old 245 Z2 tires.

I won't have any kind of mod money for a good while so I just have to concentrate on fixing my driving.

So... rip it apart, people. You won't hurt my feelings .
It is hard to see from that camera how things really are, but what it looks like is that you are a bit too close to the cones when you entering the turns. That brings being late on throttle application, because you have to wait for car to finish turning. Again, it is really hard to see from that video, but that is how it looked like to me on some spots.

I have no clue if better driving would bring you another 2 sec on that course....sorry.

About that Z, everyone is saying that RE71Rs are the fastest of those new ones right now, so I am sure that aside from his mods, which looks good on the paper, there is possible some time in tires as well. Also, this is a new season, so it takes a bit for everyone to get back to the decent level as well. If he raced more than you in past, that would do some damage as well.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 07:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MrAWD
About that Z, everyone is saying that RE71Rs are the fastest of those new ones right now, so I am sure that aside from his mods, which looks good on the paper, there is possible some time in tires as well. Also, this is a new season, so it takes a bit for everyone to get back to the decent level as well.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could you guys possibly criticize my run from yesterday?

I won't have any kind of mod money for a good while so I just have to concentrate on fixing my driving.

So... rip it apart, people. You won't hurt my feelings .
1st of all feelings disregarded. From what limited information I could gather you simply weren't driving fast enough. The tires weren't singing like they should at the limit. Very few times did it seem like you got close to the limit of adhesion. A multi-time national champ once told me, "drive at the limit of the tires" ....

Now, the lack of noise could be the camera position or the ambient temp or lack there of, but it certainly didn't seem like you were pushing. The car looked too controlled. In contrast look at Kyoo's video as he pushes his car harder struggling to keep it under control. Work on the driver mod, while his car seems to be better prepped you should be able to close the gap.

When you get the funds, get the RE71Rs as the 1st upgrade.

Kyoo: BTW in your 1st video it seemed like you had a bag of bolts and nuts rattling around in your car.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Apr 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Lots of people would not agree with running such a big tires on the stock rim. But, I would say that running stock size is not better as well! Still I have been wrong here and there, so...

I am hoping to get better data on tires once I take OEM dampers out of equation. I would like to test 255, 265 and also 285 (ZII* only at this time) to see how they will affect things. Since, that is quite a few tires to test, I am hoping to start with 265s first. So many things to do, so little time...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to say the same thing about the lack of noise coming from your tires, however i like the fact you are driving slow enough not to touch a single cone. Just try and increase you speed little by little until your tires really start singing.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Golden rule here is that you have to get comfortable with uncomfortable first!

I still remember that phase for me when I stepped up to higher level and started driving really nice and clean and comfortable. I though I was at the top of the world aside from my times still being 2 seconds off the pace from the top guys! That is when I started being uncomfortable out there and still trying to get that comfort back
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:28 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Golden rule here is that you have to get comfortable with uncomfortable first!

I still remember that phase for me when I stepped up to higher level and started driving really nice and clean and comfortable. I though I was at the top of the world aside from my times still being 2 seconds off the pace from the top guys! That is when I started being uncomfortable out there and still trying to get that comfort back
definitely. i did an event driving all nice and tidy.. then did a fun run after where i let loose and shaved 1.5sec LOL
a friend of mine is a really good driver. very calm and smooth. we told her to be more aggressive this Sat and she ended up beating her nemesis for the first time.
aggression, to a point, is definitely rewarded
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is true, when i drive to that level I absolutely murder the hell out of some cones!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the criticism guys. I had a spin on my 2nd run (which resulted in nose of my car getting uncomfortably close to the bay) and definitely under-drove the car afterwards.

I also found the video of the fast run by the 370z, and quite frankly, he drove much better.

About the tire how (or lack thereof) - our surface is very weird. It is old, grated concrete that is rather gravely and there just isn't much tire noise even when they are being pushed.

For instance, check out my run from last year on a different surface. There's plenty of tire howl.

Old Apr 15, 2015, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That video was much better. I think the saying is, "Drive it like you stole it". Unless you drive to the limit there is no real way of telling how much faster the other driver/car combo is.

Our next event is coming up this weekend. We have 22 people signed up in BS!!! I mean it could be a national level class based on participation.
Everything from S2ks, Corvette, 370Zs, STis, EVO 8 and X, Audi TTs, BMW Z4s, SLK 350s .... its going to be a Battle Royal!

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Apr 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
That video was much better. I think the saying is, "Drive it like you stole it". Unless you drive to the limit there is no real way of telling how much faster the other driver/car combo is.

Our next event is coming up this weekend. We have 22 people signed up in BS!!! I mean it could be a national level class based on participation.
Everything from S2ks, Corvette, 370Zs, STis, EVO 8 and X, Audi TTs, BMW Z4s, SLK 350s .... its going to be a Battle Royal!
Maybe, I need to move to CO...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Devens Tour registration is opening in 2 hours. If you are planning on racing there this year, better be ready to register fast, otherwise you might miss it...

Quick Reply: 2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion