Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Few years back I have tried to install 285 710s on 8.5" wheel and they would not budge. Than I got a set of Hoosiers in the same size and they went on without much of an issue.

275s RE71s went on the same wheels with no problems as well. I was planning on trying 285s, but now I have second thoughts about it...

As of the FSB on X, Whiteline is the stiffest one you can get and it has three adjustment that can suit your needs. Mine is on stiffest through the year and extra stiffer for racing season, thanks to adjustable brackets from CIRODesign!
Do you use 2 (4?) collars to keep it from shifting sideways?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
Do you use 2 (4?) collars to keep it from shifting sideways?
I wasn't doing the work! Friend of mine who is quite experience with that kind of work was doing it...if he couldn't mount those 710s, I don't think other could! I was trying to help though, but can't answer those details.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
FWIW, Christopher (laloosh) ran 275 rivals on stock Enkei rims this season and they were rubbing a bit on the rear control arms.

Fedja (MrAWD) has run sizes up to 285 (I think) for BS duty but he does have 6mm wider track (max allowed by street class rules) through lower offset wheels and spacers.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I had run 285s, but with Hoosiers, not RE71s! Right now I am on 275s and I have no rubbing anywhere. But, my wheels have 35 mm offset which is why I have no issues in the rear. I also use spacers in the front as well.

Although, at the last event, we had one very tight turn before the finish (almost full 180) and there was some new sound coming from somewhere, but I have not seen any tire marks.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Prime12
FWIW, Christopher (laloosh) ran 275 rivals on stock Enkei rims this season and they were rubbing a bit on the rear control arms.

Fedja (MrAWD) has run sizes up to 285 (I think) for BS duty but he does have 6mm wider track (max allowed by street class rules) through lower offset wheels and spacers.
Is there much separating the MR and GSR? I think most people say the Bilstein shocks (and the springs are progressive vs linear) are superior on the street, but does that show up in the auto-x environment?

I guess it ultimately doesn't matter much because when people get serious the shocks are modified or changed out anyway.

Last edited by moparfan; Dec 4, 2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

I have never driven a MR so I can't comment how it compares to a GSR stock vs stock.

Bilsteins can be revalved to autocross specific valving whereas KYB's cannot.

If courses in your region frequently exceed 61+mph the MR will be at an advantage with its ability to use 3rd gear.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

So SCCA just released its Champ Tour schedule

- March 17-19: Tire Rack Dixie Championship Tour; Cecil, Georgia
South Georgia Motorsports Park

- March 24-26: Tire Rack Texas Championship Tour; Bryan, Texas
RELLIS Campus/Riverside Campus, Texas A&M University

- April 28-30: Tire Rack California Championship Tour; Crows Landing, California
NASA Crows Landing Airport

- May 27-29: Tire Rack Spring Nationals Championship Tour; Lincoln, Nebraska
Lincoln Airpark

- June 9-11: Tire Rack Rocky Mountain Championship Tour; Fountain, Colorado
Pikes Peak International Raceway

- June 16-18: Tire Rack Northeast Championship Tour; Ayer, Massachusetts
Devens Airfield

- June 30-July 2: Tire Rack Thunder Valley Championship Tour; Bristol, Tennessee
Bristol Motor Speedway

- July 7-9: Tire Rack Washington Championship Tour; Packwood, Washington
Former Hampton Lumber Mills Packwood

- July 28-30: Tire Rack Great Lakes Championship Tour; Swanton, Ohio
Toledo Express Airport

and here is the Match Tour schedule that was released some time ago

- March 3-5: Tire Rack Oceanside Showdown; San Diego, California
Qualcomm Stadium

- April 28-30: Tire Rack Heavy Metal Showdown; Wampum, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh International Race Complex

- June 2-4: Tire Rack Great Lakes Showdown; Peru, Indiana
Grissom Aeroplex

- July 2-4: Tire Rack Thunder Valley Showdown; Bristol, Tennessee
Bristol Motor Speedway

Nothing much for east coasters such as me. I guess I can do Pittsburgh Match Tour (350+ miles each way) or Devens (290+ miles). Ugh.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I guess it is Devens then!! See you in June!!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killed my clutch just prior to Packwood last year, fingers crossed for a healthy car come July since I don't want to miss another chance to... get stomped by C5s and S2ks.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

I just saw this video related to the AWD B-street cars. Interesting to say the least:

Not sure what is wrong with that guy in darker shirt since he can't seem to get passed the bad seats that latest EVO has...
Old Dec 25, 2016, 06:37 PM

Two weeks until my next AX, getting a new ACD pump compliments of Mitsubishi in the next few days.
Curious if I'll even notice a a difference other than that damn warning light finally going away.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:50 PM

Organizers decided that the event would no longer count towards the championship points, I and most of the others decided to opt out.
Why bother naming it the 'Slush Series' if you're going to chicken out at the first sign of inclement weather?
Edit: Lily-livered metric girly-men did it again, cancelled another event.
I'm not entirely convinced that there isn't a bias against AWD here.

Last edited by SnowMongoose; Feb 6, 2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 04:02 PM

One of the slush events actually happened!
Day started out damp, got wetter and wetter.
Started on 71's, switched to all seasons (DD DWSes) at lunch, promptly dropped from the mid 53's to the low 51's.
Got beat out by a stupid quick last run of the day from an FRS driver who kinda sorta won the 'Top Gun' category for this series last year.

Super cool that non-TRD FRSes will be running DS soon, guess there are perks to running a more commonly autocrossed car, huh?
(Not bitter at all, of course not)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 06:15 PM

Just got her back from an alignment, was happy to see that the numbers hadn't wandered too far over the year between visits.
Slush Series #6 on Sunday, scheduled to sprinkle in the morning... the part where it's supposed to dry up in the afternoon makes that a moot point though, all the S2ks and C5's need is one dry run and I'm toast.

Curious though, mostly to MrAWD - though anyone else is more than welcome to chime in - what did it take to get to your alignment numbers?
Closest anyone around here (granted, I have the only Evo locally that does anything resembling racing so finding people with actual experience is hard) has been able to get is -1.9 in the front and -1.2 in the rear, AFAIK there aren't any crash bolts available from Mitsubishi...
(forgive me if it's been covered in the previous 55 pages and I missed it)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I have aftermarket struts there and the builder double checked with their specs with SCCA folks (Dough G. I think) and they were within the rules. Even my OEM struts came to be 2.1 and 2.0 when I ran with them. Rears were always 1.5 to 1.6 range, so I am not sure where 1.2 comes from.

Quick Reply: 2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion