Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subscribed. A lot of good info
Old Feb 7, 2015, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Replacing bumpstops is legal and can be the same length or shorter but can't be longer than the stock size because it acts as a spring. The stiffness of the material is open, so one could go with a stiffer bumpstop of the same size to avoid the shocks getting bottomed out. Reason being different shocks usually have different shaft diameters and can come with their own bumpstops.
I didn't know you could replace the OEM bump stops. I though, you can only cut them to be shorter or open up the inside opening to match larger shaft. You learn something every day!!

Most of our auto-x slaloms are slower, it was just the last event where we had a fast slalom towards the end of the course. If you had cars flipping in your region they probably hit something, went of course, or the car shouldn't have been allowed on the course due to the static roll factor. I have yet to see a car fit over driving normally or even over the limit if they stay on course. Perhaps you can elaborate?
One those events was actually National Tour, so it is not region specific!
I was under the same impression originally thinking there is no way car can be flipped at autoX speeds, but they happened twice right were I was working, so I am believer now!
The way it goes is that several things have to take place in order for it to happen. One of the most important ones is a novice driver. Another one is a car with soft suspension and grippy tires (R-comps would do that). Third thing is a large EGO that would not allow them to let go once their car got our of control - like middle or beginning of the slalom. Driver looses rear end and than tries to catch it by overstering to the other side. That gets him in even bigger trouble on the next cone. When he gets to the third one, yaw momentum that is created is large enough to flip the car. One of them went on the side, while other went diagonally and landed on the roof. I can still remember those movements since it looked like it was happening is slow motion. The best thing is that neither driver got hurt beyond scratches for arm falling out of the window. The same could not be said about their cars!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is one of the reasons R-comps with stock suspension on most cars NEVER made any sense to me. I thought you were going to say they flipped the car on a off camber portion of the course but I can see it happen on fast transitions.

BTW, the Bridgestone RE-71R just popped up on Tirerack with an ETA of 3/1

Linky

This Sunday we have our 4th winter auto-x and we so far have 16!!! competitors signed up in BS. Should be a good time.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

That is one of the reasons R-comps with stock suspension on most cars NEVER made any sense to me. I thought you were going to say they flipped the car on a off camber portion of the course but I can see it happen on fast transitions.

BTW, the Bridgestone RE-71R just popped up on Tirerack with an ETA of 3/1

Linky

This Sunday we have our 4th winter auto-x and we so far have 16!!! competitors signed up in BS. Should be a good time.
Saw it earlier today! So far it looks promising! I would love to see them offer some 30 proffie tires between 265 and 285 for 18s with idea they would be under 25" for OID because that would be great help for car like EVO X. Right now the shortest option that is out there is 265/35/18 and several manufacturers offer it. Unfortunately, only Dunlop makes 285/30/18 which is even shorter, but it is questionable if that would even fit on the rim and be useful afterwards. So, I might try 265/35s in the next round, but that is still far out since current set is in pretty good shape.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ACD setting are you guys using?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Darwin's WW
What ACD setting are you guys using?
I have been using TARMAC exclusively so far, but I think I will be trying GRAVEL and most likely SNOW as well, this year.

Edit: after reading what I write it looked too dry.
So, the main reason why I didn't change things is because I was still learning how this car goes with what I have. TARMAC seemed like a good place to be (especially after FSB got in there and tamed rear end a bit) and car handled pretty well for the given setup. Since different shocks will change the way the car goes more than anything else on the car, any changes to this sub optimal setup didn't seem to be worth taking until the car and myself were ready for it. Now after few seasons of playing with EVO X, I feel more confident in what it can and can not do, so I could start with minor changes as well. I guess that puts me on one end of the Over Modifying Car Syndrome (hmm, OMCS looks good here ), but it served me well in the past as oppose to the other end, that was usually disastrous.

Edit 2: I have been using TC in OFF/OFF all this time. OFF/ON has some potential, but I didn't find it necessary so far.

Last edited by MrAWD; Feb 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:58 AM

I've been using Tarmac mode but haven't really played with the other settings at an event. I have used different settings on the street but hardly notice a difference. I use **** tires for my daily commute so I'm sure that doesn't help but don't really get to push it on the street in fear of the cops.
I'm restocking the rear clutch plates tomorrow so I'm hoping that will be a huge improvement and will help me notice the differences with the ACD settings.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Tarmac with off/on
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to be clear, the EVO 8/9 don't come with TCS/SM like the EVO X. It's basically the rawer (if that is a word) version of the EVO.

I read the paper on the different ACD settings for Tarmac, Gravel and Snow a long time ago. It mostly controls how soon the ACD disengages/engages the center diff during braking. Tarmac releases/engages the soonest and Snow the slowest, if I remember correctly.

This mostly affects stability during braking and turn in. With Tarmac, the car will be a little more unstable during braking and have quicker turn in and vice versa with Snow. With Gravel and Snow settings, there will be more stability during braking and turn in will be a little slower which is good in wet/damp conditions. So a car that oversteers during turn in into a corner during damp conditions can be some what tamed.

You'll probably only feel the difference when you push your car to the max.

Long ago BMI video did a race on Tsukuba with the driver switching settings as he was entering and exiting the corners on a wet track. It seemed to make a big difference as he easily pulled away from the competition.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Long ago BMI video did a race on Tsukuba with the driver switching settings as he was entering and exiting the corners on a wet track. It seemed to make a big difference as he easily pulled away from the competition.

Skip to 16:10 or so. At 16:49 Hattori explains that he is using "gravel" some in the start/ middle but using "tarmac" for most of the back half. And some more at 19:10 or so.

Also, keep in mind their trim levels are not the same as ours.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
EVO IX The Next Evolution - Best Motoring International - YouTube

Skip to 16:10 or so. At 16:49 Hattori explains that he is using "gravel" some in the start/ middle but using "tarmac" for most of the back half. And some more at 19:10 or so.

Also, keep in mind their trim levels are not the same as ours.
Right, those are more like EVO X, since they have Supper AYC in the back as well, unlike USDM cars...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Right, those are more like EVO X, since they have Supper AYC in the back as well, unlike USDM cars...
hattori drives the RS in this video, which do not come with AYC - came with a 1.5 way mechanical rear diff. and tanaka, driving the gsr WITH sayc, comments that he doesn't like how the rear responds.. food for thought lol. it is a wet race though.

bumpstop tuning is huge for stock class racing, i don't know how much in 'play' it is for the evo - the mini is said to practically ride on bumpstops, so i reach the bumpstops very quickly, but i'm not sure for the evo where the bumpstops sit.

but yea, basically stiffer springs without actually using stiffer springs. i just swapped out my rear bumpstops on the mini for even stiffer ones to get the car a little looser.

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 1, 2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hate to be the nit-picker but most RS models that appeared in Best Motoring were optioned with tarmac packs and had AYC, Brembos and Enkei wheels. I can't remember the exact episode where they said this but afaik they never drove a non-ayc equipped RS when they tested the cars on tsukuba.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
bumpstop tuning is huge for stock class racing, i don't know how much in 'play' it is for the evo - the mini is said to practically ride on bumpstops, so i reach the bumpstops very quickly, but i'm not sure for the evo where the bumpstops sit.

but yea, basically stiffer springs without actually using stiffer springs. i just swapped out my rear bumpstops on the mini for even stiffer ones to get the car a little looser.
So, we can change bump stops in B-Street? I though we could just cut OEM to be shorter, but that might be different class altogether...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Prime12
Hate to be the nit-picker but most RS models that appeared in Best Motoring were optioned with tarmac packs and had AYC, Brembos and Enkei wheels. I can't remember the exact episode where they said this but afaik they never drove a non-ayc equipped RS when they tested the cars on tsukuba.
i've actually never heard of a 9RS that came with AYC.. from scanning euro forums as well, it doesn't seem to be in the indication that any have ever come with them. could be wrong, idk? anyway we were talking about acd's lol.. different point, different thread

Originally Posted by MrAWD
So, we can change bump stops in B-Street? I though we could just cut OEM to be shorter, but that might be different class altogether...
yes! a big help! you can cut it shorter, but u may be better off getting stiffer and tall as oem to add spring rate. BUT, that only works/makes sense if the car ever encounters bumpstops when cornering. for the mini, all the time and makes a huge difference. not sure for the evo. if you have bilsteins, at least the fronts are going to be inverted & the bumpstops should actually be inside the damper though.

anyway yea - here's an example of varying stiffness bumpstops - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/iss-310-3018-39

anyone have any info on how much travel the evo has before hitting bumpstops?

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 1, 2015 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion