Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never trusted the accuracy of the little accelerometers in our 'smart' phones. IMO those values should be taken with a grain of salt.

Here's a Solostorm video from a local B-Street STi. Around :30 or so you'll see his peak G numbers go over 2.0g.

Yeah....no.

Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
yeah phones will be in accurate. also keep in mind force spikes going from static to kinetic friction
Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be using the hankook RS3 245/40/17. I did get the diff restacked which was hands down the best thing I've done for the car. Had a well known suspension shop set up the camber -2 front and -1.5 rear. The car rotates so much better and placed me in 2nd in PAX our last race.
I want to get a FSB or RSB but everyone has a different opinion on what works best. Trying to do what I can and stay in street class to maximize the PAX handicap.

How good are the drivers at pro solo? I'm sure I'll get worked but I'm hoping I can learn some stuff from better drivers.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Prime12
I've never trusted the accuracy of the little accelerometers in our 'smart' phones. IMO those values should be taken with a grain of salt.

Here's a Solostorm video from a local B-Street STi. Around :30 or so you'll see his peak G numbers go over 2.0g.
The one important thing here is that Solo Storm recommends 10 Hz GPS (which is the one that I have), while smart phones have only 1Hz units. Once you are getting 10 reads per second, things are a bit more accurate.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
The one important thing here is that Solo Storm recommends 10 Hz GPS (which is the one that I have), while smart phones have only 1Hz units. Once you are getting 10 reads per second, things are a bit more accurate.
that's for the GPS, not for the g-force
Old Mar 4, 2015, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
that's for the GPS, not for the g-force
That is how Solo Storm gets its G data...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

That is how Solo Storm gets its G data...
no...

Lateral
Acceleration Yes
Left-right g-forces as recorded from on-board g-sensor.
Above the line are right turn and below the line are left turn
g-forces.
Longitudinal
Acceleration Yes
Acceleration/deceleration g-forces as recorded from onboard
g-sensor.
Above the line are acceleration forces, below the line are
deceleration forces.

http://www.petreldata.com/wp-content...User-Guide.pdf

unless you're using different acquisition hardware. i'm just using the software on my phone, qstarz gps, and obdlink mx scan tool

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 4, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kyoo is correct, Solostorm uses the on board accelerometers to record G data. However it is important to calibrate it for accuracy. It's much more accurate than using a 10Hz GPS unit. I used to use MaxQData back in the day, that software only used GPS and even with a 10Hz unit there were occasional cases where the extrapolated G data was inaccurate.

Solostorm's accuracy is only as good as the data given to it by the phone and GPS unit. If the phone/GPS are giving crappy data, well you are SOL .... I was getting horrible GPS drift with my old 10Hz GPS unit until I upgraded to the Qstarz 818XT. I've used it successfully on my HTC one X and it has been fairly accurate. Spiking to 1.2Gs during corners and usually hovering around 0.9-1.1G depending on the type of turn.

So the only reason I didn't post a video from my last event (apart from driving like crap and coning most of my runs) was because I forgot to charge the batteries for my GoPro. Next event is in a week and a half as long as the weather here gets better. I'll be sure to post up then.

Found this neat little product for those you with Qstarz GPS units:
Click here
Old Mar 5, 2015, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my 30-year old G-Analyst gives better G-Force data than Solo Storm? If I remember back then, all the car magazines said it was very accurate.

Does anyone know of any up-to-date system that is accurate for things like G-Force and still is affordable? If I remember correctly, I paid about $500 for G-Analyst back then.

-- joe
Old Mar 5, 2015, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the correction kyoo! I was under assumption that only GPS data is used for that! Live and learn!

Either way, I take those numbers with a grain of salt since they are looking on the high side to me...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

live and learn!

the only thing i wish from solo storm is that they'd tie their video syncing software to other cameras. lot of cameras coming out with wifi connectivity these days, but solostorm only works with gopro, which i'm really not a fan of.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
the only thing i wish from solo storm is that they'd tie their video syncing software to other cameras. lot of cameras coming out with wifi connectivity these days, but solostorm only works with gopro, which i'm really not a fan of.
Hear you there! I have one model that looks awfully lot like G-pro and even have Wifi, but I don't think it will work with SoloStorm...I guess I could still try it...

Another thing that I have not figured out is how to overlay the data I get with the video I get from my phone camera...one day I might figure this one out...

Last edited by MrAWD; Mar 5, 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Here you there! I have one model that looks awfully lot like G-pro and even have Wifi, but I don't think it will work with SoloStorm...I guess I could still try it...

Another thing that I have not figured out is how to overlay the data I get with the video I get from my phone camera...one day I might figure this one out...
i asked the developers, last i heard they said no.. apparently it's not as simple as pairing the devices and trying to make it work lol. lot of different connectivity standards beyond bluetooth/wifi i guess. i'll ask again
Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mario Linguini
So my 30-year old G-Analyst gives better G-Force data than Solo Storm?....

Does anyone know of any up-to-date system that is accurate for things like G-Force and still is affordable? ...

-- joe
Not necessarily Senor Linguini, as I said earlier, Solostorm's accuracy depends on the quality of the equipment you use. So if you use a good quality phone/tablet and GPS unit, the data it gives you is VERY accurate, IMHO. Just be sure to calibrate Solostorm with the phone and keep the GPS unit with a very open view of the sky (eg: roof or dash).

What I have always done is use my old phones to serve as my telemetry device. And since I've always had pretty good phones the data I get from them seems to be very accurate. 0.9-1.2Gs falls in line with what I expect the EVO to pull in corners with street tires.

As far as GoPro and Solostorm goes, I've found that to be buggy at times. Eg: If your battery dies on the GoPro and you replace it during a heat and the phone/solostorm and GoPro sync back up, it stops recording videos properly. The only way seems to be exit out of Solostorm and restart the app. Solostorm just released an update this week and one of the notes is bug fixes for GoPro so hopefully that bug is fixed.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Just an example of Solostorm from an auto-x last year when I was driving my Miata. It can be very accurate as you can see. Hopefully I will have more this year.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Mar 10, 2015 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion