Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lexan windows! Who's got em'? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexan windows! Who's got em'? Thoughts?

Trying to do research on the subject specifically for road racing. My questions are...

Minimum thickness for legality? I have yet to find anything on this subject with NASA. I've read the SCCA requires 6mm (not sure if that is 100% correct). STM sells a full kit that is orientated towards their drag racing customers and is 1/8" thick which I have read will distort at speeds. Just trying to see some real world experiences. I will be installing supports for the windshield as well.

People who have Lexan, specifically windshields, who did you purchase yours from? My builder is recommended SHIELDS. http://www.racingshields.com/

Any general thoughts that can be added to the discussion would be awesome

Cheers

Craig
Old Jan 12, 2015, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ya I can't seem to find the specs on the new CCR either....it USED to be there. I'll ask. It used to be 3/16 for windshield and 1/8 for sides with two straps for the rear and 1 for the front I think. As for the windshield I personally wouldn't for your purposes unless you really really like tearoff's, scratches, dents, etc. Glass is a million times easier, and stiffer. You've been around enough real race cars to know
Old Jan 13, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yep Nasa got rid of the reqs, so follow SCCA's. I think mine are 1/8 and don't deform at all, can't really tell they're lexan .
Old Jan 13, 2015, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am intrested in this as well. I doubt I will convert to a lexan windscreen, but I do already have Lexan door windows, and I would like to convert the rear window to Lexan. I am mostly worried about the possible loss of strength since I assuem the glass adds some strength to the car. I guess with a full cage I should not be worried about it.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Yep Nasa got rid of the reqs, so follow SCCA's. I think mine are 1/8 and don't deform at all, can't really tell they're lexan .
I'd go 1/8 on the sides. But the windshield at an 1/8 thick deforms at speed, or so said the porsche guys I talked with. I'm going to have the bracing installed and probably install glass if I can get a good quote. That way I can always install lexan down the road with minimal fab work.

I'm surprised at the lack of responses to be honest. I assumed more evo dudes would have jumped to lexan.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are not bound by a rule, 3/16" is good for the front, with a couple braces. There are various ways to brace it, but you want some slight tension on the windshield and then it will not deform (assuming the braces are well spaced). The braces essentially disappear from sight as you are looking well ahead.
As mentioned, put a shield on the lexan (like from racing optics).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mouseIX
I'd go 1/8 on the sides. But the windshield at an 1/8 thick deforms at speed, or so said the porsche guys I talked with. I'm going to have the bracing installed and probably install glass if I can get a good quote. That way I can always install lexan down the road with minimal fab work.

I'm surprised at the lack of responses to be honest. I assumed more evo dudes would have jumped to lexan.
Yep 3/16's on the front/rears at a min, but like you said not required now but easy to do later. To be honest you could likely cut your own lexan out of sheet without paying for precut plus shipping. Esp the 1/8 sides. If you wanna do like mine with the clips you can bring some cardboard and we can trace it out etc, or use your glass as templates. If it doesn't end up like you want we can always order it later.

I think the time attack rules said you had to keep glass so thats likely why not a lot have done it. That or everyone's spending all their time on front splitters
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Yep 3/16's on the front/rears at a min, but like you said not required now but easy to do later. To be honest you could likely cut your own lexan out of sheet without paying for precut plus shipping. Esp the 1/8 sides. If you wanna do like mine with the clips you can bring some cardboard and we can trace it out etc, or use your glass as templates. If it doesn't end up like you want we can always order it later.
I was planning on making the side windows. The only reason I was considering purchasing the windshield was the option for the coatings (anti fog/scratch). I should be up at the shop this weekend to gut the doors. Matt, I might need to swing by your place this week to check out your doors.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be tackling this pretty soon. The plan was to use 3/16" for the front windshield, and rear. And 1/8" for the two front windows; the rear will be deleted as I'm making carbon doors for the rear which will delete the windows.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
I'll be tackling this pretty soon. The plan was to use 3/16" for the front windshield, and rear. And 1/8" for the two front windows; the rear will be deleted as I'm making carbon doors for the rear which will delete the windows.
did you see the carbon doors for ale in the classifieds? price was a steal IMHO. if i can find it ill drop the link on your facebook.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
did you see the carbon doors for ale in the classifieds? price was a steal IMHO. if i can find it ill drop the link on your facebook.
Got the link. Definitely a good price!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i do think only the rear and front windows worth the price /weight reduction. the glass window alone are very light in the evo on the sides.
We decided doesnt worth the hassle and price after we weight them.(side windows)

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 18, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i do think only the rear and front windows worth the price vs weight reduction. the glass window alone are very light in the evo on the sides.
We decided doesnt the hassle and price after we weight them.
That's good to know.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
I saw the link on Joe's FB lol. Carbon rear doors would be badass!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
too bad they arent more common. those are like half the price of the seibon's and probably better quality.

Quick Reply: Lexan windows! Who's got em'? Thoughts?