Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

America's Tsukuba Circuit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:18 PM
Y2A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
America's Tsukuba Circuit?

It seems that the Tsukuba circuit in japan is the top spot to claim the time attack crown, as top tuners such as HKS and JUN always go there and test their setup to become the fastest around the track. As of right now, the HKS CF EVO holds the record, at 54.7 seconds . So is there a track like the Tsubuka in the USA? I wanna test and improve my driving skills, and have fun Im in MD sooo I dont think we have a track like that here
Old Mar 16, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Don't know about any short "time attack" style circuits, but I'm sure you'll have fun on most of the road courses we have here in the states.

Being on the east coast you should be a reasonable distance from many tracks. I'm guessing that VIR, Virginia International Raceway, would be closest to you. Maybe also Pocono Raceway, but I don't know what kind of programs they offer.

Other names that come to mind but are probably farther away, Beaver Run, Barber Motorsports Park, Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, etc. etc.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

VIR
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

I've seen the track maps and read the reports and VIR sounds very impressive.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:08 PM
Y2A

so how much does it usually cost to rent out VIR for like say....a whole 2 day weekend? and what's their website(if they have one)
Old Mar 17, 2004, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Wish we could have a time attack in America. Would love to watch the tuner cars fight it out here in.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

My information may be incorrect, but the last figures I saw was that 2-day rental of VIR is roughly $40K and you have to have a $20M insurance coverag

Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I read that HKS's Evo set some sort of lap record at the Streets of Willow last year and they want to continue to improve it.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Y2A
so how much does it usually cost to rent out VIR for like say....a whole 2 day weekend? and what's their website(if they have one)
You don't just go to a track and rent it for a weekend! There's so much involved, like corner workers, ambulance, wrecker, insurance, etc., etc. Total cost for a 2-day weekend at a premium track like VIR might run $50,000 or more.

What you do is join a club like the BMW CCA, PCA, COMSCC, Trackmasters, etc. and sign up for their High Performance Driver's Schools (sometimes called "HPDE," for High-Performance Driver Education). These are run a racetracks all over the US and Canada. Most clubs have a membership fee of $35-50 per year, which allows you to run events with them. The typical registration fee for a track event is somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 per day. For that money, you get classroom instruction, an instructor in your car, and 4-5 sessions of 20-40 min each per day. That doesn't sound like much track-time...but believe me, it's plenty!

Emre
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:36 PM
Y2A

hmm, so is there a club like that just for EVO owners?
Old Mar 23, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Y2A
hmm, so is there a club like that just for EVO owners?
Yes, I think there's a new one in Southern California. You have to keep in mind Evos have only existed in this market for a year or so. The BMW CCA has been organizing driving schools for over 30 years. The PCA started a little later, IIRC, but still has been doing it for at least 20 years. It will take some time before any Evo club can match them.

Emre
Old Apr 16, 2004, 01:05 PM

Tsukuba style time attack events have arrived in the US. Take a look here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=540455

It's a Subaru link but I'm sure you'll get over it

Thanks,
Phil
www.elementtuning.com
Old Apr 16, 2004, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Y2A
It depends on who you go with. I have been to VIR twice and have loved every minute of it (not in the EVO yet ) But that was what prompted me to buy one. I took some parade laps in an EVO and said that I have to have one.

Anyway....going with NASA it was $350 for a weekend and with Mazda Driving Associates it was $320. The local chapter of the BMW club also frequents VIR (not sure on their cost). Just check around to find out what clubs are going to what track and tag along.
-FYI don't go to any Viper Days, I have heard nothing but bad things. That is just what I heard though so take it for what it's worth.

Don't forget about the other tracks in the area:
-VIR (VIR north would be the best for Time Attack)
-Beaver Run (PA)
-Summit Point (WV)
-Lowes Motor Speedway (NC)

All are within 4hrs of NoVA

You will have a blast at all of them. Between the two events that I have been to, I would say that Mazda Driving Associates (MDA) gave the most track time. I put 175 miles on my 240sx in one weekend w/ MDA.

If any local peeps want more info PM me. I will be hitting up a couple of events this year to get to "know" the EVO better
Old Apr 16, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Good Link!
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...threadid=540455

"Our class leader the Sparco EVO VIII held the fastest time of the day with a commanding 1:57.xx"
"During session four we debated whether to up the boost to 30 lbs and try to chase down the Sparco EVO VIII, but in the end it was decided that the almost three seconds could not be made up by and amount of HP."

OH YEAH!!
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
Good Link!
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...threadid=540455

"Our class leader the Sparco EVO VIII held the fastest time of the day with a commanding 1:57.xx"
"During session four we debated whether to up the boost to 30 lbs and try to chase down the Sparco EVO VIII, but in the end it was decided that the almost three seconds could not be made up by and amount of HP."

OH YEAH!!
I appreciate the unbiased journalism as their STI ran strong all day. I do want to point out that our suspension is the A'pexi N1 and is definitely a street set-up that had a good alignment. The shocks were adjusted toward the stiff range.....but definitely a streetable set-up.

Quick Reply: America's Tsukuba Circuit?