Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

HPDE Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPDE Insurance

Who uses it? I'd like to do 10 events this year, and as the car basically sits when it's not at the track, I'd like to never worry about insurance if it's wrecked at the track. Curious as to what the average rate/per day is, and how exactly it works from someone who's actually used it.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use http://ontrackinsurance.com for all my events. The rate is per event, regardless of whether it's one day or three. The premium is based on the value you put on the car, although I think it needs to be within 80% of the NADA value. I believe the deductible is 10% but info is on their site along with a quick quote calculator.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never used it myself, but I heard good things about Lockton.

My #1 rule to tracking a car is that the car is paid off so if you total it you do not have to worry about payments on something you have no use for anymore.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Code Monkey
Never used it myself, but I heard good things about Lockton.

My #1 rule to tracking a car is that the car is paid off so if you total it you do not have to worry about payments on something you have no use for anymore.
Yeah my car is paid for, but if I total'd it at the track, I'd really prefer to get 22k for it than it be a total loss.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 08:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by boostincincy
I'd really prefer to get 22k for it than it be a total loss.
Never a total loss w/the EVO, The wing always survives

Never used the insurance, Im a bit of a gambler I guess
Old Mar 18, 2015, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
For pure track toys that sit, the insurance in my opinion is more for storage/transport then on-track incidents. On track stuff gets really messy with he did she did and you'll never be able to get full value. On the other hand having your whole trailer ripped off including 10k in parts and tools on top of the car is a bit more concerning to me.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've seen on the popular insurance websites it seems to range from 150 & up for one day of on track insurance. Deductibles vary but are usually 10% up to a certain max amount. I believe Lockton offers multi-track day packages as well. What I have read from people who actually had to use the insurance they pay out process is easy and hassle free.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:27 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
worth the peace of mind, IMO. my insurance covers as long as it's not a timed event, such as HPDE (it's considered a "school") but that leaves me stuck for GTA events. i just factor the price of the insurance into my budget along with the truck/trailer/gas.
then again, i only do 4-6 events per year. Ten would get quite pricey but also increases the chance of something happening, so... LOL
Old Mar 18, 2015, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I have not heard of a Track day insurance actually paying out for the car. I know they have paid medical but the car is uaually not covered.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:03 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
I have not heard of a Track day insurance actually paying out for the car. I know they have paid medical but the car is uaually not covered.

the premium is based on the value of your car, they pay out damages.

health insurance is your own personal insurance and they won't care where or how you get hurt.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 18, 2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GTABurnout
Not sure who you looked at for insurance, but both Lockton and OnTrackInsurance only cover the car, no liability coverage.

Last edited by Sawdust; Mar 18, 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
the premium is based on the value of your car, they pay out damages.

health insurance is your own personal insurance and they won't care where or how you get hurt.
Not true, my health insurance through my dad's employer does not cover injuries in sanctioned racing events, this can vary polic to policy though, so verify it with your isurance. And don't just talk to someone on the phone, look at your specific contract that has your member ID at the top, insurance companies are shady and they WILL lie to you about coverage.

It happened to a friend of mine. He broke his femur at a motorcycle race, and his health insurance didn't cover it though even though he was under the impression they covered racing form when he enrolled on the policy years prior. He got hit with close to $400k in bills. Luckily he was able to make a cash offer to pay the hospital medicare rates, 1/2 up front, and the other half over the next 12 months. Still cost him close to $45k..

I purchase a catatrophic policy through the sanctioning bodies that put on the off road races I do...

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 19, 2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:58 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Not true, my health insurance through my employer does not cover injuries in sanctioned racing events, this can vary polic to policy though, so verify it with your isurance. And don't just talk to someone on the phone, look at your specific contract that has your member ID at the top, insurance companies are shady and they WILL lie to you about coverage.

It happened to a friend of mine. He broke his femur at a motorcycle race, and his health insurance didn't cover it though even though he was under the impression they covered racing form when he enrolled on the policy years prior. He got hit with close to $400k in bills. Luckily he was able to make a cash offer to pay the hospital medicare rates, 1/2 up front, and the other half over the next 12 months. Still cost him close to $45k..

I purchase a catatrophic policy through the sanctioning bodies that put on the off road races I do...

i'll count my blessings then. i just go in if i don't feel well or am injured. they didn't care that i crashed my bike during a race, etc. i've never been turned down for "why" i'm being seen. that's brutal, dude. i've honestly never heard of such a thing.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i'll count my blessings then. i just go in if i don't feel well or am injured. they didn't care that i crashed my bike during a race, etc. i've never been turned down for "why" i'm being seen. that's brutal, dude. i've honestly never heard of such a thing.
Possible Obama care thing for letsgetthisdone. My insurance has covered 2 different injuries directly related to off road & my stupidity

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Possible Obama care thing for letsgetthisdone. My insurance has covered 2 different injuries directly related to off road & my stupidity

Definitely not. It's Teamsters Local 14. Been that way for as long as I've had it. The only thing about it related to ACA is it's my dad's policy, and I am legally able to stay on it until I'm 26 due to the ACA. So since it does not change my dad's premium for me to be on it, he let me stay on the policy. I just have to pay my own copays and deductibles for any claims I have..

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 19, 2015 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: HPDE Insurance