Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

My Evo VIII track build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Evo VIII track build

New member here, thought i would share my build for a track day/TT3 car and get some opinions.

Plan: Working on race license currently, would like to run TT3 next year. Evo currently being finished for this year's NASA season.

Have been running an orange BOSS 302 since I bought it in 2012. It's an expensive car to run at the track and the CFO (wife) has been getting on my case regarding running costs. So, decided to just build a dedicated track car. Original idea was to build a STi. Had one of the first ones in the USA back in 2004, sold it in 2012 and regreted it ever since.

Couldn't find a donor priced low enough that would allow me to do all the mods i wanted and came across a 2003 VIII that was priced right and jumped on it.

So, here's the plan. let me know if you think anything else.

Car is currently at Rock Bottom Racing in Tooele, UT. Inside Miller Motorsports Park. Check them out and my build on facebook.

ITEMS MITSUBISHI EVOLUTION 8 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution 8

HARNESS BAR Custom Made Harness Bar

DRIVETRAIN Exedy Performance Clutch/Flywheel ARP Flywheel Bolts SS Clutch Line Throw Out Bearing Shifter Bushing Kit Short Shift Kit
INTERIOR Race Seat Driver-OMP Sliders Mounting Brackets
ENGINE WORK Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator Silicone Radiator Hoses Intercooler Kit Evo 9 BOV BR 65mm Throttle Body BR Ported Intake Manifold ARP Head Studs OEM Complete Gasket Set 255 Fuel Pump 850 cc Injectors Boost Controller Cobb Intake ECU Tune
EXHAUST BR Turbo Back Exhaust BR Exhaust Manifold BR SS O2 Housing
SUSPENSION Fortune auto 510 series Apex Camber Plates
AERO APR GTC-200 Wing APR Rear Diffuser APR Front Canards
WHEELS/TIRES ARP Extended Wheel Studs
INSTALL SEAT BELTS/NETS Harness X 2 Eyebolt Hardware Kit
BRAKES W/ UPGRDED FLUID Stoptech SS Lines 2 Piece Girodisc Rotors (Front) Carbotech Pads Titanium Shims Brake Ducts Castrol SRF

BOSS 302 and 350Z (Spec Z build) at MMP

Cheers,

RK403
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Welcome! Interesting mod list. For the wing if you go with APR you want the 300. I believe the APR 200 years ago was shown to be as effective/less than the OEM spoiler on the Evo (works great on other cars) but I'm not sure if that affects your classing rules.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:12 PM

Interesting as in "Good God, does this moron know what he's doing" or as "Hmmm, maybe this car will turn a corner or two"?

Car is being tuned this wednesday for next weekend NASA Utah opener. will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the info ont he APR wing, will ask builder tomorrow about it.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by codgi
Welcome! Interesting mod list. For the wing if you go with APR you want the 300. I believe the APR 200 years ago was shown to be as effective/less than the OEM spoiler on the Evo (works great on other cars) but I'm not sure if that affects your classing rules.
There is a revision back in 2012 or 2013 when Andrew Brilliant redesigned the profile
There are always gurney flap and extender to help with GTC 200 as well as vertex generator that should help with all sort of wing
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome..... if you're wife thought the Moosetang was a money pit..... be prepared for that talk again....especially running TT3.

I cringe every time I see someone put a harness bar in a dedicated track car. Please do yourself a favor and run a back half roll cage, it would be almost safer to run factory belts in a roll over compared to just a harness bar.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rk403
Interesting as in "Good God, does this moron know what he's doing" or as "Hmmm, maybe this car will turn a corner or two"?

Car is being tuned this wednesday for next weekend NASA Utah opener. will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the info ont he APR wing, will ask builder tomorrow about it.
bad choice of word on my part . Basic list looked ok for a start. Better?

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
There is a revision back in 2012 or 2013 when Andrew Brilliant redesigned the profile
There are always gurney flap and extender to help with GTC 200 as well as vertex generator that should help with all sort of wing
Good info to know. Yeah this would have been way back around 2006/2007.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:24 PM

https://www.facebook.com/RBRacing77#...type=1&theater

something like this?

Had to make a deal with the CFO, Porsche has to go so I can keep going to the track.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

I personally would not run something like that harness bar and here is why....

Imagine that you have an unexpected off that results in a roll over and the roof crumples down to the level of that harness bar. If you are using the factory 3pt it will allow for movement to the right in the event the roof crumples. If using that bar you will be strapped in with no possibility of moving. If the roof crumples you will have no escape route and it will more than likely result in a broken neck, back, and possibly worse.

If you're strapped into a car with a 5pt or 6pt harness you need to have rollover protection to not allow the roof to crumple into the cockpit.

I know we all think that we'll never have an incident on track. I was that way until I ended up in the wall 2 years ago, that's when I decided to back half my car. Just seriously consider what would and may happen if you roll that car, and you'll see that the harness bar is not safe to run.

Edit: Also.... safety items are things to never cut corners on. Let your CFO know that (I had the same talks with my CFO so good luck!).

Last edited by ReaperX; Mar 23, 2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Yes and yes. Back half welded in roll cage if you really plan on making it a safe track car. Bolt in is ok but make sure to do extra wide welded in base plates because the floor pan is mm's thick. Other call out's:

1. "exedy performance clutch" specifics there, the MM022HD is the winner overall
2. Fortune 510's, which springs and spring rates, and do the top mounts allow camber and caster
3. Brakes are "ok" but you'll toast the brembo's if you start using slicks and really getting fast, so keep an eye on those seals.
4. Second race seat with second harness - wither it's CFO or Instructor they'll thank you for it.
5. I don't see any bushing upgrades which are a weak point in the chassis, such as the usual whiteline goodies plus PSRS.
6. Which gas are you planning to run?
7. If you jump on the APR 300 or above wing, be sure to do something with the front as well.
8. What tires you planning to run?
9. Follow up meeting with CFO to make sure she hasn't fired you yet
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Every CFO has her weakness. Some its shoes, some its bags, some its trips to exotic locales. Get the correct safety equipment and pay off the CFO later. Or better yet buy the equipment while the CFO is out of town. If this gets you fired you never heard it from me
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Balrok
Yes and yes. Back half welded in roll cage if you really plan on making it a safe track car. Bolt in is ok but make sure to do extra wide welded in base plates because the floor pan is mm's thick. Other call out's:

1. "exedy performance clutch" specifics there, the MM022HD is the winner overall
2. Fortune 510's, which springs and spring rates, and do the top mounts allow camber and caster
3. Brakes are "ok" but you'll toast the brembo's if you start using slicks and really getting fast, so keep an eye on those seals.
4. Second race seat with second harness - wither it's CFO or Instructor they'll thank you for it.
5. I don't see any bushing upgrades which are a weak point in the chassis, such as the usual whiteline goodies plus PSRS.
6. Which gas are you planning to run?
7. If you jump on the APR 300 or above wing, be sure to do something with the front as well.
8. What tires you planning to run?
9. Follow up meeting with CFO to make sure she hasn't fired you yet

1. yes, MM022HD.
2. I'll ask builder tomorrow. he told me but i forgot it at the moment
3. seals replaced, but will keep an eye on it.
4. That's in the works. have one lined up (used OMP)
5. That's the next step. Maxed budget out at this time. Will have to wait a bit to get those. Cease and Desist letter from CFO received (Hand delivered-along with stern verbal warning)
6. At this time, 91 octane
7. Car has a small front splitter at this time
8. Nitto Nt-01, 255. Eventually move to BFG R1
9. See #5

In other news, wednesday came and went and no tune done. BR was late with some parts so car will not run this weekend. I'll just use my friend's spec Z on sunday. disappointing, but not a total loss. Spec Zs are a blast.

What rotors do you guys recommend? The girodiscs haven't arrived and I'm pissed at BR for messing up my order so I'm thinking of switching.

Has anyone ever used RacingBrake? My friend runs a 2012 M3 and swears by those, says they're almost as good as a BBK but way cheaper. Another option would be 2 piece stoptech. Ideas?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:51 AM

I'm a big fan of using cheap blank rotors for track use. They save a lot of money and still get the job done well. I'd recommend centric blanks.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Has anyone ever used RacingBrake? My friend runs a 2012 M3 and swears by those, says they're almost as good as a BBK but way cheaper. Another option would be 2 piece stoptech. Ideas?
im using RacingBrakes two piece rotors (surface mount) now. had them on since the end of last season. they work great with DTC60 pad.

previously, i've used centric rotors from RockAuto for the past 4 years. they are cheap but would crack after 4-5 events. it looks like the RB is lasting longer than that at this point. the main reason i switched to 2 piece is to drop unsprung and rotational mass in the front. i'm also using RB stainless pistons and high temp dust boots.

Last edited by honda-guy; Mar 27, 2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

5. That's the next step. Maxed budget out at this time. Will have to wait a bit to get those. Cease and Desist letter from CFO received (Hand delivered-along with stern verbal warning)
If I had taken a drink while reading that it may have ended up on my screen.

As long as the letter isn't hand delivered, written on the palm of said hand, to the cheek I think you're good for now lol.

You're going to go through rotors if you don't have cooling ducts setup pretty fast. Centric blanks are a great and cheap alternative to the 2 piece rotors until you can afford them.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
When you decide to drop the coin on BBK go with the AP kit from Essex, hands down.

Quick Reply: My Evo VIII track build