Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Alignment issues

For those that track their car, have you been having issues keeping the car aligned? Over the course of the day, i can feel the toe settings change dramatically, In both the front and rear of the car. I usually end up having to eyeball toe adjustments trackside 2-3 times in a track weekend. Also noticed that my front has issues keeping camber/toe as well. Was on a track that had 2 right turns out of 11, and my right front changed camber and toe on me. Steer ahead occured with 15 degrees of steering angle. I eyeballed my camber/toe back to near normal and it kept doing it. Now my front left tophat (vorshlag) reads on one end of the camber adjustment range and my right front reads on the other. And on this same track, my alignment out back which was zero toe turns into positive toe and the car shifts from a neutral feel to full on understeer. But then when i have to turn right, its super oversteer due to toe out on that side of the car. WTF is going on??

Suspension mods include
Robispec KW's
Vorshlag tophats
Perrin Offset PSRS
Whiteline RCK
Hotchkiss sways F/r
295 yoko ad08-r's
Whiteline camber arms

Last edited by hispanicpanic; Jun 22, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
For those that track their car, have you been having issues keeping the car aligned? Over the course of the day, i can feel the toe settings change dramatically, In both the front and rear of the car. I usually end up having to eyeball toe adjustments trackside 2-3 times in a track weekend. Also noticed that my front has issues keeping camber/toe as well. Was on a track that had 2 right turns out of 11, and my right front changed camber and toe on me. Steer ahead occured with 15 degrees of steering angle. I eyeballed my camber/toe back to near normal and it kept doing it. Now my front left tophat (vorshlag) reads on one end of the camber adjustment range and my right front reads on the other. And on this same track, my alignment out back which was zero toe turns into positive toe and the car shifts from a neutral feel to full on understeer. But then when i have to turn right, its super oversteer due to toe out on that side of the car. WTF is going on??

Suspension mods include
Robispec KW's
Vorshlag tophats
Perrin Offset PSRS
Whiteline RCK
Hotchkiss sways F/r
295 yoko ad08-r's
Whiteline camber arms
Well that sounds like tons of tun. Only three ways I can think of that happening, one being your not torque'd nearly enough (or bad bolts). Two is a part(s) failure. Three would be a loose or bent subframe/knuckle. Cause your talking about all sorts of different measurements at different points in the car on different wheels....

One other thing that may be is your wheel bearings. Do the test and see what you get.

Then start with your front tie rods, are they bent, are the ends whiteline or oem, is the backup nut moving (white paint marker). I've never used the whiteline camber arms I can't comment on those. Then check every nut for torque and re-measure everything on a flat surface. Or take it to a good shop and have that thing looked at.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,332 Posts
Sounds like fasteners aren't tight. Mark every nut and bolt head with paint pen and see what is moving..
Old Jun 24, 2015, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Fastners are tight. I have hairy palms.

Inspected hte uprights last week and found nothing. I'll be removing control arms this weekend and removing the downpipe and stuffs to try and get a solid look at the steering rack/subframe.