Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA National Championship Runoffs 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCCA National Championship Runoffs 2015

With the rules changes in 2013 the Evo and STI have become less than competitive in the SCCA T2 class having given way to the Porsches, Vettes, BMW E92, Mustang GT/Boss and Camaro. There is discussion of giving us a competitive package and move us to T3 with the E46s, 370Zs etc..but that hasn't happened yet. This year the Runoffs was at Daytona so at the last minute things fell in place and I decided to attend. Daytona is the fastest track I have ever driven by a long shot. I was hitting 158 in quals, unfortunately most of the field were in the 166-167 range.

I was able to qual 9th out of 20 cars and ended up finishing 6th. All things considered i'm pretty happy with the results. Here is a little clip of the start of the race and later racing a C6 Vette piloted by 2 time National Champion John Buttermore. With 4 Championships between us I knew we would have a good time racing with each other even if it wasn't for the lead. Thanks To AMSPerformance for a great tune as usual. The little turbo just can't pull up top with the V8s and Porsches.

enjoy,

Marty

Old Sep 29, 2015, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Marty! Good finish considering. I was going to go there in November but it didn't work out. Funny how they wax us in the straights but come to the bus stop they don't stand a chance I think T3 is a better fit these days so I hope that goes through.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks! it was a good time. Here is a list of the cars we are running against.

1, (1), Kurt Rezzetano, Phoenixville, PA, Ford Mustang GT Coupe, 14.
2, (2), Cooper MacNeil, Boulder, CO, BMW E92 M3, 14.
3, (3), Preston Calvert, Potomac, MD, Ford Mustang GT Coupe, 14.
4, (5), Tim Kezman, Franksville, WI, Porsche 997, 14.
5, (4), Bill Collins, Saint Paul, MN, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 14.
6, (9), Marty Grand, Manassas Park, VA, Mitsubishi Lancer EVO, 14.
7, (12), John Buttermore, South Lyon, MI, Chevrolet Corvette C6, 14.
8, (6), Michael Lavigne, Hooksett, NH, Ford Mustang Coupe, 14.
9, (10), Jim Leithauser, Westminster, CO, BMW E92 M3, 14.
10, (8), Aaron Kaplan, Evanston, IL, BMW E92 M3, 14.
11, (15), Christopher Qualls, Los Angeles, CA, Chevrolet Corvette, 14.
12, (16), Natha Waldbaum, Omaha, NE, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 14.
13, (18), John Shannon, Oswego, NY, Chevrolet Corvette C5 ZO6, 14.
14, (20), Carl Fung, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 13.
15, (11), Oscar Hernandez, Miami Lakes, FL, Porsche 911/996, 13.
16, (19), Nicole Jacque, San Jose, CA, Ford Mustang Coupe, 13.
17, (13), Russell Peterson DVM, Menlo Park, CA, Chevrolet Corvette C5 Zo6, 13.
18, (14), William Moore, Chagrin Falls, OH, Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, 5.
19, (7), Albert Nocerine, Shavertown, PA, Ford Mustang GT, 4.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job Marty!

I have to be happy for Kurt tho. He is a good friend and a great guy.

I saw the podium pic and the second place guy was not there. Now that I see who it was I am not suprised. Lol He is a dick IMO! Was he whining?

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Sep 30, 2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I was surprised he didn't have the respect for the sport to go up on the podium. In all my years of racing I've never seen that before. Kurt and Preston did what they had to do to podium, they have lots of development time in the GTs. They have a very fast car that appears to be the best handling car in the field. I've asked for some rules adjustment for the past 2 years. Hopefully they will do something to bring back competitive racing to T2.

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Oct 1, 2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
From what I saw, cooper had to be on a plane to fill obligations at ren sport reunion. He was flying back and forth between the two events even for qualy...
Old Oct 5, 2015, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Nice run!

I remember doing that track in my GTX30 equipped Evo X GSR back in the 2011 One Lap of America event. I was trying to stay just a hair below the 8000 rpm rev limit on the high banks which ended up being about 170 mph, definitely ran out of gear!

Are you stuck using the stock turbo on your Evo 9 for the T2 class? How is the class system setup for semi equal performance? Considering your car was peaking 8-9 mph slower down the straights finishing 6th is quite good, congrats!

I managed to catch a few of the other races they had streaming and coverage was excellent.

Found the full T2 / T3 Race Video here: http://www.scca.com/videos/1972560

Race summary here: http://www.scca.com/articles/1998048...win-at-daytona

I wish there were more Evolutions racing out there! Marty gets some air time around the 46 minute mark, he got the 4 door grocery getter reference of course...

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 5, 2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately Im stuck with the stock turbo per the GCR but I am putting in to see if I can get an alternate turbo approved this off season. The issue is peak vs sustained power. The stock IX turbo makes a nice peak number on the dyno but the power falls off pretty good when you get up in the revs compared to pretty much everything I'm racing. A GTX30 would be perfect The SCCA did give me a spec weight of 3100lbs (with driver after the race) but under Touring rules the lightest I can get down to is 3304. Only mods allowed for power are Exhaust, FMIC and Tune on 100 oct.

In the video while drafting John B. I actually hit 160-drafting was clearly working for both of us. Without the tow the best I could get to was 158. Funny that the fastest T3 car was hitting 157.

Also appreciate you posting the race video, it does look odd seeing an Evo and a Vette racing. I did take off the rear wing in hopes of getting another MPH or two. I didn't get a chance to see if it actually did anything or not.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting, so it's not really a power:weight thing but they allow a certain swap of different parts and whatever you can safely get out of it with a tune is where you end up. Knowing that the stock turbo has significant taper they should at least consider allowing a basic bolt on turbo to equalize the power a bit more, it would be nice to run a boost level that isn't tapering above 5000 rpm's. Maybe they could just raise the minimum weight in exchange for a bump in turbo size given that you can't even drop below 3304 to use the spec weight anyways.

If the other cars were a several mph higher traps in the straights then you better have some kind of improved braking and/or cornering advantage to keep lap times competitive so that you can all get some good close racing. Often I think many organizations overstate the advantage of AWD once you start using sticky Hoosier tires. Where AWD is a huge advantage on the street with street tires it's much less of an advantage with sticky race tires on a road course.

Hopefully you can plead your case! Heck they could even allow a larger turbo but then trim back max boost if it turns out to be too much power without causing any major pain for rule sets or car setup.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Good points, i'll include them in my write up. AWD is actually a disadvantage for most dry road racing applications if you ask me, unless its a slow enough corner to spin the RWD cars tires on exit which as you said isn't easy to do with sticky Hoosier autocross tires. Its kind of like the El Camino of race cars....its really not a RWD and its really not a FWD. Next year the Runoffs is at Mid Ohio which is good from a drivers standpoint but bad from a handling standpoint. Porsches, Vettes, E92 M3s, and even mustangs all have a clear handling advantage. Makes me kinda regret selling my Solstice GXP
Old Oct 12, 2015, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Tis why I joined the Pray for Rain consortium lol. It's not really the car though, if you were allowed the right parts things would be different so lets hope it gets there or another club/class.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Interesting, so it's not really a power:weight thing but they allow a certain swap of different parts and whatever you can safely get out of it with a tune is where you end up. Knowing that the stock turbo has significant taper they should at least consider allowing a basic bolt on turbo to equalize the power a bit more, it would be nice to run a boost level that isn't tapering above 5000 rpm's. Maybe they could just raise the minimum weight in exchange for a bump in turbo size given that you can't even drop below 3304 to use the spec weight anyways.

If the other cars were a several mph higher traps in the straights then you better have some kind of improved braking and/or cornering advantage to keep lap times competitive so that you can all get some good close racing. Often I think many organizations overstate the advantage of AWD once you start using sticky Hoosier tires. Where AWD is a huge advantage on the street with street tires it's much less of an advantage with sticky race tires on a road course.

Hopefully you can plead your case! Heck they could even allow a larger turbo but then trim back max boost if it turns out to be too much power without causing any major pain for rule sets or car setup.
I am pretty sure it is written into the SCCA class guidelines that they don't give a **** if a car is competitive or not...

The whole "you can touch this, this and this but not this" rule-making method is pretty awful from a creativity and competitiveness view point. Why not just make everything a spec class because that is the way it is going to end up anyway?