Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

excuses your mates have had not to take their "hot cars" on the track with you

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
excuses your mates have had not to take their "hot cars" on the track with you

Well, the latest excuse I heard was one of the best so I had to make a thread to record it lol. So it was from a guy with a new M3, he said it would cost him to much in oil to take it out, it would need an oil change before the day which would cost him 600 bucks at service yard, then it would cost him another 600 bucks after and another 300 bucks at the track day thats 1500 bucks and he couldnt afford that. I'm wondering why he bought an M3

Another guy talked it up with his hot chevy, I called him out when I got my Evo and welll.....I never heard from him again

My mate who is a big car fanatic simply said he couldnt afford to hit the wall, at least he was honest..lol
Old Oct 25, 2015, 06:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Running your car on the track is not for everyone & I understand that

Track work certainly takes its toll & not all are in for that

The next big leap is actually racing your EVO vs track day. Racing is another level up

Track duty does separate Man from boi
Old Oct 25, 2015, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,562 Likes on 1,340 Posts
$600 for an oil change???
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Luxury car service mark up plus OP isn't in the US. US scheduled maintenance prices tend to be much lower than rates charged outside the US.

OT I think for many it's the cost of consumables and fear of hitting the car and writing it off. Gotta pay to play and not everyone will do that.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I call 'em Ramen-Noodle-Swagger.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 09:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by codgi
Luxury car service mark up plus OP isn't in the US. US scheduled maintenance prices tend to be much lower than rates charged outside the US.

OT I think for many it's the cost of consumables and fear of hitting the car and writing it off. Gotta pay to play and not everyone will do that.
Most luxury dealers in the US charge $250-$300 for an oil change only. So that's $350-$400 AUD. Someone is laughing the whole way to the bank..
Old Oct 26, 2015, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Some of the newish BMWs take $20/qt oil and need 9 quarts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...10-engine.html

And that's if you DIY and buy the oil not from the dealer..
Old Oct 26, 2015, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i cant even know where to start ... lol
Old Oct 27, 2015, 06:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Some of the newish BMWs take $20/qt oil and need 9 quarts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...10-engine.html

And that's if you DIY and buy the oil not from the dealer..
I'm well aware that Euro cars hold a lot of oil. I will stand by what I said. $600 is out of control.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw..._ycBoCn__w_wcB
L
Old Nov 20, 2015, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
honestly I can understand people who don't want to do a track day -- what I don't understand is people who get cars who don't even autocross -- usual excuse is that they don't want to hurt their car.... lol
Old Nov 21, 2015, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
that is why you buy something else then a "cheap" sporty car like the STI or the EVO.

Then you should buy an M3 or Porsche. Or just simply get a slightly older C AMG 63 ...

The Evo literally screaming for racing. To me if you have an Evo, and you never take it to the track, its like having a girlfriend, but never have sex with her to saving her for a next boyfriend.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy tells me he doesn't want to mess up the edge of his tires. Mind you, this is for an auto x not a track day. I don't give folks grief for not wanting to participate in track as it does take a toll and has risk involved.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly, If I were to buy a brand new M3 or 911, I don't think I would want to do AutoX with them. I would rather go drive some nice twisty roads and get more enjoyment out of it than spending all day doing 8 sessions ,less than a minute each, of autoX.

Originally Posted by kyoo
honestly I can understand people who don't want to do a track day -- what I don't understand is people who get cars who don't even autocross -- usual excuse is that they don't want to hurt their car.... lol
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by letMeIn
honestly, If I were to buy a brand new M3 or 911, I don't think I would want to do AutoX with them. I would rather go drive some nice twisty roads and get more enjoyment out of it than spending all day doing 8 sessions ,less than a minute each, of autoX.
That is the attitude of most buyers, I'd say. I guess it depends on how competitive you are. Twisty roads are nice for a casual drive, but only at illegal speeds, not to mention the danger to the car. Autox - zero danger, added competition, and requires actual skill to be fast/competitive.

Rob, you say evos/stis are "cheap" for trackday but that depends entirely on what exactly you're doing. Being competitive/actually racing will require at least a cage, among other things. PDX/Track Night in America, requires a lot less but on the flipside aren't timed/aren't races.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It doesn't matter whether or not you are competitive... In my current position I could afford to buy a $100k car if I wanted to. However I could not afford to take it to the track where I could wreck it. Thats why I have my Evo for track duties.
If I were a millionaire then its a different story. I would just buy 2 of each and I wouldn't think twice. As far as AutoX, sure its Fun for a minute, but I don't want to waist my whole day to drive for couple of minutes.

Also as you know, once you start racing ( hpde or AutoX ) then you start spending serious $$ on upgrades... Go ahead and buy your brand new M3 or 911. They are already great cars to begin with, but they can be made better and you will want to make them better sooner or later. Did you check prices for performance parts for BMWs and Porsches ?? I haven't, but from what Ive spent on my Evo8 ( thats already past 60K with the purchase of brand new car ), I would think its even higher for the other cars.

My next fun car, won't see any track. Im keeping my Evo for that.

Originally Posted by kyoo
That is the attitude of most buyers, I'd say. I guess it depends on how competitive you are. Twisty roads are nice for a casual drive, but only at illegal speeds, not to mention the danger to the car. Autox - zero danger, added competition, and requires actual skill to be fast/competitive.

Rob, you say evos/stis are "cheap" for trackday but that depends entirely on what exactly you're doing. Being competitive/actually racing will require at least a cage, among other things. PDX/Track Night in America, requires a lot less but on the flipside aren't timed/aren't races.

Last edited by letMeIn; Nov 23, 2015 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: excuses your mates have had not to take their "hot cars" on the track with you