Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Fire system discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
are you guys still have the oil cooling line for a turbo?
oil line is for the turbo bearing. turbo cooling use coolant line. unless they have after market turbos that only use oil for cooling, and no coolant lines.

Last edited by honda-guy; Dec 17, 2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
oil line is for the turbo bearing. turbo cooling use coolant line. unless they have after market turbos that only use oil for cooling, and no coolant lines.
Just my opinion on this, if anyone cares , lol

My experience if you build a race car you don't use Turbo cooling feeding lines.
Engine and cooling system doesn't really need and extra component which will make the system hotter and therefore adding extra stress.

Yes it does makes the Turbo life shorter, but its a race car, so the safety is more important then a Turbo life span maybe two (if) events more.

I have an ALS , and I don't have a feeding line. My turbos doesn't die fast.

about fire extuingishers.

this is my system, its not electrical, cable triggered from inside and out.

inside , we both can reach it, also the first picture you see one additional fire extuingisher for a co driver:

outside right under the letter E on the codriver side next to the windshield wiper

in the cabin system:

at the A pillar bar on the top pointing one of that nozzle to the co-driver from above, same as the driver side:

at the bar junction at the below, one nozzle pointing from below to the co-driver same as the driver side

at the far strut tower pointing to electrical components at the closer strut tower pointing to the back of the engine:

I hope this is somewhat its a good info .

Rob
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
So besides your...french....accent killing us specify what you mean by cooling. Because most every turbo is Oil cooled. Oem mitsu or mitsu "based" turbos require water cooling as well and it's what most can afford to use. You talking about some exotic sealed turbo?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

so two nozzle for each person in the car, and two in the engine bay. for the engine bay, point one near the turbo area and one near the fuel rail area? what about the fuel tank and fuel pump area.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
So besides your...french....accent killing us
Hungarian*
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

So besides your...french....accent killing us specify what you mean by cooling. Because most every turbo is Oil cooled. Oem mitsu or mitsu "based" turbos require water cooling as well and it's what most can afford to use. You talking about some exotic sealed turbo?
no cooling what so ever. I am strictly running OEM Mitsubishi turbo. I changed turbo once since 2008. I did race many thousands miles in the first one, Now I am running a second one. I have two more in my garage I am buying them from the Ebay ,used with low mileage. They cost around $400 each. Perfect. Good thing many people think the OEM turbo is garbage ....lol I just have to keep them believe that, and I am fine.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 17, 2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

so two nozzle for each person in the car, and two in the engine bay. for the engine bay, point one near the turbo area and one near the fuel rail area? what about the fuel tank and fuel pump area.
I am still running stock set up , besides the fuel pump.
So there is no nozzle towards them.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Hungarian*
and that makes it even worst
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

and that makes it even worst
Yeeep lol. So no, the OEM turbo has a pressurized oil and water supply (lines). Unless you had all that welded up when you did the restrictor. Or plug the CHRA holes...so it's got (some) oil in there lol.

Last edited by Balrok; Dec 17, 2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yeeep lol. So no, the OEM turbo has a pressurized oil and water supply (lines). Unless you had all that welded up when you did the restrictor. Or plug the CHRA holes...so it's got (some) oil in there lol.
i dont want to say how they plugged them, because it dont know. i never checked it. But i know its no cooling goes there.
as much as i know, one is the cooling issiues for the engine
two for the fire safety ( as i posted before that evo burned dowm because the oil line failure)
then, much faster and easier to change turbo during the race (if its fails) because when you have limited time to change things, you dont want to deal with hot oil, engine cooler etc.
thats is all i know.
mechanics always tell me what they do and why, but very few times they tell me how. lol
for me same as an engine tuning. i know what i will get and many times why, but never known how. lol
Old Dec 18, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

i dont want to say how they plugged them, because it dont know. i never checked it. But i know its no cooling goes there.
as much as i know, one is the cooling issiues for the engine
two for the fire safety ( as i posted before that evo burned dowm because the oil line failure)
then, much faster and easier to change turbo during the race (if its fails) because when you have limited time to change things, you dont want to deal with hot oil, engine cooler etc.
thats is all i know.
mechanics always tell me what they do and why, but very few times they tell me how. lol
for me same as an engine tuning. i know what i will get and many times why, but never known how. lol
Well, for all of our sake, ask I even remember seeing f1 turbo motors with oil cooling AT LEAST. But still an interesting concept. Even oil filtration which we've seen in pics is an issue. Hard to think "yes I know this will fail during a race but that's ok" rather then the usual "do what it takes for this not to fail, but risk a fire"

Last edited by Balrok; Dec 18, 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

it must use pressurized air bearings in the turbo.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The oil in the turbo is not for cooling, it's for lubrication. A journal; bearing turbo WILL dies in very short time without oil, were talking miles, a few miles, if that. There is not way your turbo is not getting oil, Rob. They may deleted the water lines for better engine cooling while sacrificing turbo life, but I guarantee you the turbo is still getting oil.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The oil in the turbo is not for cooling, it's for lubrication. A journal; bearing turbo WILL dies in very short time without oil, were talking miles, a few miles, if that. There is not way your turbo is not getting oil, Rob. They may deleted the water lines for better engine cooling while sacrificing turbo life, but I guarantee you the turbo is still getting oil.
You guys probably right, I will ask just for making sure.
I remember talking with them taking off the cooling from the turbo. That is why I think ( never checked) the oil is also not there. But I can be very well wrong on that.
Probably the water is off only then . Sorry if i did know wrong.

i might have to really look at my turbo . lol
The water is off for sure.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry guys, you were right, oil line is there.