Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Fire system discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Fire system discussion

Ok so most of us saw the recent videos, lets get serious about fire safety, specifically for the track Evo. Andy and others please share your comments/experiences.

Firstly, watching Andy's video it looked like he had an on-board halon/gas based system. At speed the halon went....nowhere it seemed...and by the time he got back to the pits it was empty and the fuel was still everywhere ready to ignite.

Lesson 1: Have a portable fire extinguisher available IN the car, IN reach, in the case that your up a hill or down pit road, and only YOU can deal with the issue.

Continuing on systems, an AFFF or liquid based system seems to be a better option given it "sticks" as a liquid rather then a gas. With so much air entering the cabin and engine bay a gas based system seems to inadequate. At rest however a halon extinguisher could save you from having to fire a foam based system. So maybe a hybrid approach?

Lesson 2: Make sure your pit crew knows where the portable units are and has them on pit wall.

Andy was lucky enough to drive with full gear. Had the fire erupted into the cabin he was wearing the right equipment to prevent serious issues (and would have pulled over RIGHT away instead of coasting i'm sure). But still, fire is nature, you cannot predict where it will go, so don't F* around anymore and get the right gear. Parts wise, it seems he had an OEM fuel supply line to the rail that failed? I've never seen or heard of this before. Could it have been nicked or damaged before, sure, but it IS rubber. So it COULD and DID happen. I think we can all rest assure that a braided or equivalent hard line to rail hose is more of a concern now then before.

Then there's the helmet visor. We all know and love open air flow because we're, lets face it, out of shape and need all the air we can get. HAD the flames burst into the cabin and regardless if he had the head sock on, it wouldn't have mattered much due to the upright visor. The same goes for crashes - having sunglasses on can literally break your face if something gets in there Vs the well tested 3mm visor. Should we start dealing more with forced air systems and correct visor tints instead? We're not pros by any means, but it still brings up the point.

Last edited by Balrok; Dec 14, 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I have one build in system and TWO portable extinguisher, The reason is , one portable woth basically nothing. As said as its sounds , its true. So you set off your build in (larger System) then get out and spot extinguishing with that two where it is needs to be. And HOPE for a best.
Race car fire usually very nasty, and needs a pro team to actually taking control over it. Only if you catch it in time these small units works.

Just a problem it is real hard to notice fire early.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
yeah my old fire system was very small. If anything, it delayed the fire a few seconds.

I've used (well, haven't had to really use it yet) in my ChumpCar and I'd recommend to anyone.
4.0 Liter Multi-Flo Steel Mechanical AFFF System
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2426
Old Dec 15, 2015, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Great information. I was actually planning on getting a fire system for my SM car. Probably overkill for autox, but as someone who's had an engine fire on course once before, better safe than sorry.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A fire system has been on my mind for a while now as I slip deeper down the slope. This thread is long over due and I'm looking forward to hear what others have to say. Especially the compromises for different levels of racing.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
WTH happened there? That whole car was on fire before he could slow it down.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

I've also started to bring my own fire bottle with me for in the pits. If you have a pit bike or something, mount one to that as well.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I started with the ESS 2.25L due to it's price but after awhile it started leaking and corroding (never fired) so I ditched it and went with the SPA 4.0 multiflo as well. There's a company on the Nasa benefits page with a nice discount. Due to it's "snap and twist" nature I installed it myself in one night. Plus lots of retailers can recertify/service/fill it without having to send it to somewhere else. I do think i'll be getting a portable Halon in the cockpit and a standard big guy for the pit wall for sure.

However on your failure Andy, how did the line get cut?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I started with the ESS 2.25L due to it's price but after awhile it started leaking and corroding (never fired) so I ditched it and went with the SPA 4.0 multiflo as well. There's a company on the Nasa benefits page with a nice discount. Due to it's "snap and twist" nature I installed it myself in one night. Plus lots of retailers can recertify/service/fill it without having to send it to somewhere else. I do think i'll be getting a portable Halon in the cockpit and a standard big guy for the pit wall for sure.

However on your failure Andy, how did the line get cut?
I actually believe the fire was started from an oil line. The fire then melted the fuel line which is where it really went up in flames (for only a few seconds thank god).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
I actually believe the fire was started from an oil line. The fire then melted the fuel line which is where it really went up in flames (for only a few seconds thank god).
Which line? How?

I have an AN oil return line which leaks about a quarter size a week, so your situation makes me nervous .
Old Dec 16, 2015, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

are you guys still have the oil cooling line for a turbo?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Which line? How?

I have an AN oil return line which leaks about a quarter size a week, so your situation makes me nervous .
well after the fire, everything came out of the car and I put my stock turbo back on. I did notice my oil feed line to the big turbo was not 100% tight and I think that may have sprayed some oil onto the exhaust manifold which started the fire.

if you have any leaks, i'd recommend just getting them fixed.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
this is a great discussion and just in time. i got a fire suppression at the end of this season and planning to install it this winter. looks like i'll take Rob's advice and install a large portable one in the car also. i need about 200 lbs ballast in the back of the car for next year anyways.

i have a 3 layer suit but i'm kinda lazy wearing it. i usually just wear my single layer pants and jacket (drag racing style) because it's better than wearing jeans and long cotton ****, and it's easy just to remove the jacket in the pit.

i got this system from OG Racing. what's your input on it. any advice to where to put the nozzle?
http://www.ogracing.com/spa-afff-fir...ter-mechanical

what's a good portable extinguisher to get?
http://www.ogracing.com/halotron-fir...guisher-2-5-lb
http://www.ogracing.com/sodium-dry-p...guisher-2-5-lb

Last edited by honda-guy; Dec 17, 2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
well after the fire, everything came out of the car and I put my stock turbo back on. I did notice my oil feed line to the big turbo was not 100% tight and I think that may have sprayed some oil onto the exhaust manifold which started the fire.

if you have any leaks, i'd recommend just getting them fixed.
filthyJoe had a fire from leaking turbo oil return line. that's right where hot downpipe is.

Quick Reply: Fire system discussion