Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2016 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 750 Likes on 578 Posts
I think the steering forces are indeterminate by math but I have a plan! I know the arm didn't immediately self destruct and lasted 3 runs before failing so I must have been teetering right around the yield strength and probably exceeded it with a force spike since sustained would have kept bending it. This is also with sticker A7s in 295s, top of 2nd sweepers, and 3rd gear heavy transitions. So I feel the forces are indicative of heavy standard loads (not bump or collision). Maybe track guys with aero hitting curbs will see higher but hard to know how much.

I came home and ran some quick FEA numbers and the parts fails around 500lb of force. So the goal is 5000lbs of force. Now I cant make this thing indestructible, and if 5000lbs is exceeded well you have other issues. 5000 should be an easy target but will keep "y'all" updated.

I also checked the bolt pullout forces for M8 screws in aluminum and have calculated 7000lbs pullout force each and I'm using two inside and two outside. There's also leverage to take into account, which is about 2.25:1. I've considered upping these to M10s but I don't think its necessary and it does take up more space.
Old May 3, 2016, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I think the steering forces are indeterminate by math but I have a plan! I know the arm didn't immediately self destruct and lasted 3 runs before failing so I must have been teetering right around the yield strength and probably exceeded it with a force spike since sustained would have kept bending it. This is also with sticker A7s in 295s, top of 2nd sweepers, and 3rd gear heavy transitions. So I feel the forces are indicative of heavy standard loads (not bump or collision). Maybe track guys with aero hitting curbs will see higher but hard to know how much.

I came home and ran some quick FEA numbers and the parts fails around 500lb of force. So the goal is 5000lbs of force. Now I cant make this thing indestructible, and if 5000lbs is exceeded well you have other issues. 5000 should be an easy target but will keep "y'all" updated.

I also checked the bolt pullout forces for M8 screws in aluminum and have calculated 7000lbs pullout force each and I'm using two inside and two outside. There's also leverage to take into account, which is about 2.25:1. I've considered upping these to M10s but I don't think its necessary and it does take up more space.
Couldn't be helped

Old May 10, 2016, 08:02 PM
EvoM Guru

^^ Hahaha. Classic.

Back in business!

2016 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion-rfysd1t.jpg
Old May 11, 2016, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 144 Likes on 120 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for the pictures.

So did you manage to get any useful impressions before the failure last time around?
Old May 11, 2016, 02:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, less front bar and more rear. I started full stiff on front stock (cusco bracket) and full stiff rear (Hotchkiss bar). I went to full soft on the front bar and still the rear wouldn't move.

I just swapped in my 26mm whiteline bar which is basically like taking the adjustment range of the Hotchkiss exactly 3 steps further. In other words, softest on the whiteline is like one setting stiffer than stiffest on the Hotchkiss. To start next event, both are set to middle and effectively 2 steps stiffer rear, one step stiffer front. There I can easily go up or down on either end based on what the cars doing.

Now just fingers crossed the rain holds off for Saturday morning testing.
Old May 11, 2016, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Yes, less front bar and more rear. I started full stiff on front stock (cusco bracket) and full stiff rear (Hotchkiss bar). I went to full soft on the front bar and still the rear wouldn't move.
one would hope that better front geometry would make the car crazy loose.

are you sure your steering arms weren't so soft and floppy before that you were feeling 'understeer' when in reality it was just that the wheels weren't steering?
Old May 11, 2016, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Still leans over the front or noticed difference in lean/roll resistance beyond bar adjustment?
Bars are fine tuning sort of, 70mm raised spindle I thought front would feel a lot stiffer from raised roll center.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:05 PM
EvoM Guru

At the bar rates most evo guys run, especially rear, they aren't just a fine tuning device and are a significant part of roll rate.

Marshal, I think it was a little different result based on my old setup that worked "ok" on asphalt. Less roll moment meant car had too much front bar/ not enough rear bar. But as a result of fighting the hopping had me running too much front bar/not enough rear previously and too much rear rebound. It helped the hop, but caused more low speed push and high speed twichiness. Didnt hop but as we discussed, moved outside the happy window.

The front definitely bit harder, but since I was much more concerned with checking the strength I didn't put nearly enough thought into balance and overall effect. I have no doubt the arms were flexing considering they eventually bent so its hard to really use the 3 runs a serious data point. Hoping this weekend I can get a better feeling of things.

Im just one car with other life things going on. Will be nice to get a set on another high level build for testing. Have a car in mind, but making these things isnt quick. Its several full days of work to make one set and this is just a side project to my real job.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your results from your next event. I think I mentioned my plan was to buy the Racefab LCAs and tie rod ends, but I'm wary of a 30mm spacer on the lca ball joint and the tie rod ball joint. Seems like it's just asking for trouble. Your setup seems like a much better solution all around.

Are you running the Evo 10 LCA? I can't remember.
Old May 14, 2016, 09:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok, ok, ok, wtf, ok.....

I don't even know where to start, this is different. Like, re-learn to drive different. Even my wife that's not really too interested in understanding the difference consistently drove into cones because the car never turned in like this. There is no wait for the front to settle, its already there. I literally want everyone to feel this before and after.

So what changed? We moved the roll center up back to factory height, dropped front roll back to stock, upped rear roll bar to mid setting on 26mm swaybar.

I just dont know what to say after today. Its a new car. Few things have felt as different this but totally in a great way.

I need to take a pic of the angle of my buddies control arms compared to mine. Its significant!
Old May 14, 2016, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Sounds awesome!

Are you going to start tweaking your suspension now to optimize the new front end?
Old May 15, 2016, 09:10 PM
EvoM Guru

My method of setup still isnt changing, dial in spring rates to a reasonable natural frequency, balance with bars. So my spring rates arent changing at all but I did change front bar significantly.

Previously I ran WL 26 front full soft and 26mm rear full soft. I did really need to up the rear bar a little and reduce rear rebound but didnt get to try it before changing to these hubs. Now Im running stock bar (stock setting on cusco bracket) and 26mm rear bar at med stiff.

The one thing I still need to figure out is rear grip on acceleration. Getting a ton of rotation on throttle. I know I can dial in more rear toe in but need to think about what else will keep the car gripping on sweeper exit on full throttle.
Old May 16, 2016, 06:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,557 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Soften compression damping a bit in the rear, let it squat.
Old May 16, 2016, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

After this weekend talking with the codriver (my wife) we think some double adjustable are in order for that and getting the car more compliant with our local bumpy courses. Damn asphalt seems to get worse and worse every year. I also need to start going thru suspension looking for stiction to make sure I'm not inducing anything.

So what's the hot ticket in doubles these days? I know FA seems to have a good following and their dreadnaughts are ran by lots of time attack and track guys. There's also MCS which is said to be the hottest hotness. And I know a certain cam mustang driver loves his MCS doubles.
Old May 16, 2016, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,557 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Ah, I was under the impression you already had doubles for some reason.

How much do you think you'll be bale to sell those knuckle for if you were to offer them?

Quick Reply: 2016 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion