Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2016 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 753 Likes on 578 Posts
Edit: Thinking about it, I probably cant post up how much I think I can sell this for since I'm not a vendor (would go through that effort when the time comes or have to sell through someone who is a vendor).

But basically, I haven't quoted them from the shop I deal with for work prototypes yet but I'll have to price them just high enough to make my money back.

If I can make $1000 profit per set I'll never actually pay myself back in the hours I put into it, but it will let me pay back the CNC, 3D printer, tooling, raw materials, etc.. Ideally I'd be able to sell enough to pay ourselves back and put more money into new tools and make more cool things. Next on my list of toys would be a hand held 3D scanner. Not cheap but would certainly open up my world of what I can remake lighter/faster/stronger.

The great thing about my plan is I don't have to live off profits and don't expect ever to do that. I have a great career, I'm just making parts I really want myself and trying to add a few $$ to buy more tools and make more things.

Last edited by Dallas J; May 16, 2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
After this weekend talking with the codriver (my wife) we think some double adjustable are in order for that and getting the car more compliant with our local bumpy courses. Damn asphalt seems to get worse and worse every year. I also need to start going thru suspension looking for stiction to make sure I'm not inducing anything.

So what's the hot ticket in doubles these days? I know FA seems to have a good following and their dreadnaughts are ran by lots of time attack and track guys. There's also MCS which is said to be the hottest hotness. And I know a certain cam mustang driver loves his MCS doubles.
What?! You didn't already have doubles??? I'd reach out to Guy Ankeny and see if there's anything he can do for you. He's partnered up with FRSport now.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,557 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I don't think anyone cares about posting a price on a niche part like this. It's not like any other vendor even offers something remotely similar..
Old May 16, 2016, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

The one thing I still need to figure out is rear grip on acceleration. Getting a ton of rotation on throttle. I know I can dial in more rear toe in but need to think about what else will keep the car gripping on sweeper exit on full throttle.
more rear negative camber, more rear toe in should fix it.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
i LOVE my ohlins flags. bryant had FA dreadnaught pro and we're going to work with FA and run them on the hillclimb car. from everything ive read they should work well

i might be selling my ohlins in july ...
Old May 16, 2016, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Meathooker
i LOVE my ohlins flags. bryant had FA dreadnaught pro and we're going to work with FA and run them on the hillclimb car. from everything ive read they should work well

i might be selling my ohlins in july ...

I think if you can get Flags to work out of the box they're great but the cost of revalving and local support definitely makes things tougher. I know the 510 doubles from FA had some complaints about force response lagging behind input from the S2000 guys but assuming those aren't an issue on the higher end Dreadnaughts.

Penske is an interesting option. I remember Ankeny being the source for the DSM Penske but didn't know they had a mount for evos.

Originally Posted by griceiv
more rear negative camber, more rear toe in should fix it.

Yep, this is the next course of action. I have a small amount of rear toe in but more camber will actually let me run more toe in. Not sure how high you guys go, but I'll try adding another -0.5 deg camber and going to 1/4" toe in (at 1/8" now).
Old May 16, 2016, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

My car is currently setup at -3.0 in the rear
Old May 17, 2016, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Yep, this is the next course of action. I have a small amount of rear toe in but more camber will actually let me run more toe in. Not sure how high you guys go, but I'll try adding another -0.5 deg camber and going to 1/4" toe in (at 1/8" now).
ballpark -3 and 1/2" in. Might need more rear roll stiffness than you have now to keep the car turning though.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

I'll just say that at -3 degrees, 3/8" toe-in, and 1100lb springs my car felt awesome prior to the aero. I probably could have used another 50-100lb though to REALLY get it to turn. I know you're trying to keep the car on the soft side, but it may be worth considering.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by griceiv
ballpark -3 and 1/2" in. Might need more rear roll stiffness than you have now to keep the car turning though.

Wow, def father than I thought Id have to go. I do have room to go stiffer in the rear (more bar available in rear and I have stiffer springs) and/or softer up front.

Looks like its time to go crazy!
Old May 19, 2016, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think I ever posted a pic of this here... Just waiting on a motor to go on.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion-image-1876726643.jpg  
Old May 19, 2016, 02:58 PM
EvoM Guru

If you want a motor to put it on, I think I could find a place itll fit :P
Old May 19, 2016, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure you can. I think mine should be done at the machine shop in the next couple weeks. My crazy spec list led to some delays at the machine shop, since my engine builder had to send it somewhere a little more specialized. I still need to buy my ecu and a couple other things before it will be running.
Old May 19, 2016, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I don't think I ever posted a pic of this here... Just waiting on a motor to go on.
Will you be able to get the turbo on/off the manifold when it is installed in the car?
Old May 20, 2016, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I'm sure you can. I think mine should be done at the machine shop in the next couple weeks. My crazy spec list led to some delays at the machine shop, since my engine builder had to send it somewhere a little more specialized. I still need to buy my ecu and a couple other things before it will be running.
AEM Infinity?

Quick Reply: 2016 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion