Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Knee Pads

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Knee Pads

Any of you guys install soft knee pads in your cars? Especially in my case, I am really rubbing/bruising against the driver's side door, and making a mark on the door as well. I'd rather not change seats, and I use a harness.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You should move your seat back a little so you aren't sitting so close to the pedals.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I know you've read how bad it is to have a harness and a non-containment seat? Any instructor or driver will tell you you're loosing concentration by focusing on bracing your body, which could lead to mistakes. So I'd simply say to find a way to swap seats if you're that concerned with the looks. If done right 4 bolts should take one out and put another one down. Personally there are some racing seats out there that look better and feel more comfortable then the OEM's.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
+1 on the seat. in my street evo there is a rub mark from bracing myself on the door card. in the race car we have a full containment seat and it is amazing how much less effort it takes to drive the car when you don't have to focus on not sliding around.

in my off-road race rzr i have and ultrashield rally seat that works well but i still move a bit (and its much rougher) so i put a 6"x6" square of dense foam on the door panel where my feet were rubbing.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I know you've read how bad it is to have a harness and a non-containment seat? Any instructor or driver will tell you you're loosing concentration by focusing on bracing your body, which could lead to mistakes. So I'd simply say to find a way to swap seats if you're that concerned with the looks. If done right 4 bolts should take one out and put another one down. Personally there are some racing seats out there that look better and feel more comfortable then the OEM's.
Originally Posted by Meathooker
+1 on the seat. in my street evo there is a rub mark from bracing myself on the door card. in the race car we have a full containment seat and it is amazing how much less effort it takes to drive the car when you don't have to focus on not sliding around.

in my off-road race rzr i have and ultrashield rally seat that works well but i still move a bit (and its much rougher) so i put a 6"x6" square of dense foam on the door panel where my feet were rubbing.
I've swapped the seats a number of times now, last time when I replaced the carpet, installed lower seat rails, etc. will consider the seats then
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I came in here to make a joke but I guess you're talking about a different kind of knee pads so Ill see myself out...

Actually scratch that. How tight are your harnesses? I think we have the same setup i.e Schroth 4 point ASM's or whatever its called. When I buckle up I clip in with the betls loose and then crank em down. I used to use a CG lock before I upgraded to harnesses and I used to have burns on the outside of my knee too. But now with harnesses it doesnt really happen, or at least not nearly as bad.

Last edited by heel2toe; Aug 31, 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I came in here to make a joke but I guess you're talking about a different kind of knee pads so Ill see myself out...

Actually scratch that. How tight are your harnesses? I think we have the same setup i.e Schroth 4 point ASM's or whatever its called. When I buckle up I clip in with the betls loose and then crank em down. I used to use a CG lock before I upgraded to harnesses and I used to have burns on the outside of my knee too. But now with harnesses it doesnt really happen, or at least not nearly as bad.
I put them on pretty darn tight, my body doesn't move but my legs do. hold my left leg against the dead pedal but there's still some left right movement. I can't go much further back in seating without being able to reach the pedals lol. maybe I'm "depending" on my left leg for stability too much.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ya i've been resisting asking what Kyoo was doing with knee pads when I read the topic too .

I'm also guilty of installing 4point ASM's when I started out, but after seeing first hand how that combo does NOT work in those conditions I quickly adjusted my plans.

Worth considering - just this last weekend one of our regulars met unfortunate conditions which led to an impact but since he spent money on seats/half cage/safety stuff first he literally walked away without a scratch. Knowing all the knee issues people have I wanna keep mine intact and no pad is going to help with that. Ya it's best to do full stuff, but even the Bolt in's are hundreds of times better and you still keep the carpets.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

yes, specifically in regards to autoxing, a soft pad for the left side of my knee rubbing against the door lol
Old Aug 31, 2016, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

It was your "knee" rubbing against the door in that video...Ahhhh....Gotchaaaa.....
Old Sep 1, 2016, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're best to swap seats really. I built my car slowly and remember getting to the point where I was in pain driving home after a track day from trying to keep myself in place. After I switched seats not only did I never experience that again but I picked up a few seconds at my home track as I was no longer focusing on staying in my seat and could just drive. Not to mention the safety aspect as Matt touched on.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 07:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
i used those phone gel pads before (for another car). i even used those (mouse) wrist gel pads
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
+1 for seats. Before I bought my car for STU I assumed I'd be able to keep the Recaros because they are such great seats.. yeah.. not great enough for throwing the car back and forth at autox. After I put seats in, I stopped having to brace myself off the dead pedal.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes on pads, but on the driver, not the car.

Trick came from AutoX guys, who would use volleyball knee pads to keep from banging up knees/lower legs. It's easier than "installing" on the car, and protection stays with the leg.

Of course, AutoX can be more "frantic" than road racing, you didn't say what kind of racing you were doing.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by IMPdemon
Yes on pads, but on the driver, not the car.

Trick came from AutoX guys, who would use volleyball knee pads to keep from banging up knees/lower legs. It's easier than "installing" on the car, and protection stays with the leg.

Of course, AutoX can be more "frantic" than road racing, you didn't say what kind of racing you were doing.
Probably drag racing....lol...j/k...but yeah, wearing knee pads are the best. Depends on how tall you are, the best solution is still to move the seats back and get some extended hub for the steering wheel if you are already using aftermarket.

I prefer sitting further back if I could, that gives you more stretch to the leg and less fatigue.