Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:29 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Had to take a couple weeks off making progress to get the new engine build started (2.3l blew up after 2.5 years of banging off 7800-8200, depending on event, rev limiter).

Got these in for the control arms so I can finish up a batch of just 3. Right now Professional Awesome, EvoBro, and myself are the only ones with the arms. By the time these are finished they should have verified the arms can handle "it"

Spacers are 303ss, chosen because aluminum wasnt the right thing considering the bolting compression and 303 is a free machining stainless steel. The ball joints are 4140 normalized and ground to right diameter on both sides. They also have full annular groove instead of the single spot like OEM (which was always annoying to me)
Attached Thumbnails Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023-control-arm-spacers.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
Kidloco51 (Jun 11, 2017), V.8MR (Jun 10, 2017)
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Something tells me I will have a set one day. Nice work Dallas!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 07:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
It's worth buying a set just to never have to
​​ line up that ****ing ball joint again.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 08:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Something tells me I will have a set one day. Nice work Dallas!
I hope everyone has them one day . Should see some reviews from EvoBro and Professional Awesome soon. The short of it is, sphericals and caster are awesome

Originally Posted by kaj
It's worth buying a set just to never have to
​​ line up that ****ing ball joint again.
Haha, so true. That stupid grove always annoyed me.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 07:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Even more annoying that whiteline copied the OEM groove since the whiteline bj stud fits even tighter in the knuckle, and is harder to get in and out...lol
Old Jul 9, 2017, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023-pmgrz2t.jpg

working on something..
Old Jul 9, 2017, 08:19 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo

working on something..
"More than you can afford, pal...."
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Teasing like that is not nice,
Now the wait, long wait.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo

working on something..
Is this one of those things where if you worked in conjunction with Dallas and his go faster parts, that we all could have an even better result? or are they independent of each other?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

This should be a pretty good thing for those that can rightfully change the subframe geometry though you do get limited on moving the control arms up at the back of the arm from the body. Seems like you could get an inch or so of correction there along with lots of weight loss.
The following users liked this post:
kikiturbo (Jul 10, 2017)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

No, I was inspired by Dallas and we did have some semiprivate discusisons about evo geo at some point.. ... but this could be good with his uprights.. hehehe

the geo is changed somewhat.. Basically, I am dropping the outer ball joints by 25 mm with a extension piece to be welded onto the knuckle (similar to rally R4 piece but I will weld it on for safety). In the subframe there is space to raise the inner points by about 10 to 15 mm, depending on how much anti dive you want to keep in the system. Both pickups are vertical now, so the front one can be adjusted in height too. Front pickup is moved forward a bit, to have better geo on the A arm, and outer bottom ball joint is pushed out by 15 mm and forward by about 12 or so. Top of the struit goes back 30 mm and out 15. THis keeps the kingpin angle stock, and gives me about 8.2 deg caster with wheel in stock position (fore aft, track is 30mm wider overall). No adjustment on top mounts, and struit is modified so that I can adjust the camber on the struit... will show when welded.. it is simple.

There are a few important design challenges.. I did not go for min weight.. My opinion is that most of the lightweight subframes are not stiff enough... which is ok for drag but not for me.
This is why the lower crossbrace is welded on the frame, which made the exhaust routing a bit of an issue. For this the rack is raised by 10 mm which is max what can be done due to transfer box being there and needing some space for engine movement. Good thing about rack move is that I need less correction on the knuckle to have no bump steer.
Also, I run long travel shocks, so have a lot of arm movement to deal with.. about +- 11,5 deg so I need to take care about spherical bearing movement.... Also, I am not lowering the car too much as this is road and track solution, not for AX where you usually lower the car more.

This is work in progress and just some of the things we are developing here..

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023-dpspyev.jpg

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023-c0mtowz.jpg
alpinaturbo (Jul 10, 2017)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

you moved the front forward and up? So now it'll be impossible to get the trans out without completely dropping the subframe lol
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
you moved the front forward and up? So now it'll be impossible to get the trans out without completely dropping the subframe lol
forward, not up... there is space to move the A arm inside sphericals up within the frame... as for removing the subframe, yes it needs to be removed as you cant get the DP off without removing it...

also, the pickup point is moved forward.. the overall outside dimensions of the subframe is within stock.. also, the lower crossbrace has pretty much identical ground clearence to the stock e9 subframe re-enforcement cross braces, without even the washers usually used for 3 inch downpipes

to my defence, everything is now setup for unbolting from below.. so basically you can remove the whole subframe while leaving the steering rack, A arms, ARB and even the rear engine mount on the car.. so 4x14 mm bolts, 2 big nuts, 5x12 mm bolts and 4x8mm bolts for the arb and it is off... I always hated having to unhook the steering column from the rack..
alpinaturbo (Jul 10, 2017)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh. If it's that easy to pull, that awesome. I usually just deal with fighting to get the trans in with the subframe dropped about 1-2in instead of taking the column off the rack. But with your design, sounds like the subframe can come out in about 10 minutes with an impact gun...lol
Old Jul 10, 2017, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Oh. If it's that easy to pull, that awesome. I usually just deal with fighting to get the trans in with the subframe dropped about 1-2in instead of taking the column off the rack. But with your design, sounds like the subframe can come out in about 10 minutes with an impact gun...lol
well, that is the idea... I hate pulling the stock subframe off and we usually remove it when dealing with the trans (esp 6 spd)

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023