Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 06:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 745 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What price point are you looking at for the spring perch?
Right now thinking about $150 for the set of 4 pieces. Theres the 2 perches and 2 keepers to clamp the Ohlin hat bearing in. I still have only 3D printed that part but have a good idea for making it.

Turns out machining parts is easy, figuring out how to hold things after you cut away the convenient parallel faces is the hard part.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Any maybe fit ASTs? .
Originally Posted by Balrok
+1
Would need a set here to do those too. I don't imagine it would take much more work to get those done too, just need someone willing to send me a shock assy.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 06:24 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
My car will be down from Sept-May. I can send you one.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
My car will be down from Sept-May. I can send you one.
So someone just posted on my FB post a picture of the AST and those look to already have the coaxial spring perch installed. Are some not equiped with that? I think his were 5100s so many the 4100s didnt get it?

Originally Posted by Nimpoc
What about burying a spherical in there to give the top of the spring tip/tilt/rotation freedom like the Hypercoil mount, without the fluid?
I was looking back through this thread to find something and came upon this. That's not a half bad idea. Will have to noodle over that one.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 07:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Dallas

FA is offering the Hyperco perch. Is that similar to what your referring to

Joe

Old Jul 24, 2017, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

They Hydraulic perch does other things that mine wont but comes at a price and with possible reliability/maintenance issue. When a spring is compressed it doesn't necessarily push evenly on the face and the hydraulic perch is meant to articulate to compensate for that. They only have a few degrees of movement so I don't think its the right thing for keeping the spring faces parallel. This would be something you would *also* run.

I think you need to first fix the non-coaxial setup first (look to true race shocks to see they are all held parallel at a minimum). Plus this is much cheaper is we can make something for the FAs and ASTs to go with the Ohlins. I would guess the reason it doesn't already exist is margin. Not much money to make on something like this but to me I want it anyways. If I make one it wont be hard to make 10.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Keep in mind, you are now putting the weight of the car as well as shock loads through the spherical bearing in the top hat. Previously, only shock loads went through that bearing and all the spring load went straight into the plate. Your forces on that bearing just went WAY up.

It is definitely better though since you are no longer putting the spring in bending.

Those hydraulic perches are supposed to be rebuilt like every 10 hours of use.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Keep in mind, you are now putting the weight of the car as well as shock loads through the spherical bearing in the top hat. Previously, only shock loads went through that bearing and all the spring load went straight into the plate. Your forces on that bearing just went WAY up.

It is definitely better though since you are no longer putting the spring in bending.

Those hydraulic perches are supposed to be rebuilt like every 10 hours of use.
That worried me at first too but he strut plates on the front do the same putting all the load in the bearing and bearings Front/Rear are the same. With the MR, load would actually be pretty similar on the bearing at both ends so there "should" be no issues there beyond what we already see in the front.

Posted a vid on my insta page to see the amount of articulation there is. What you dont see is the total angle, I can put my index finger into the tapered section about to my first knuckle on the backside and my pinky wont even come close to fitting on the outside.

View this post on Instagram
Old Jul 26, 2017, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts
somone asked about AST... my 5300 have the upper spring perch allready..

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023-abt7cec.jpg
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm in for a set of the strut plates for ohlins
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:41 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
somone asked about AST... my 5300 have the upper spring perch allready..

I have 4100s.. They have been on the car so long... I gotta go out and look I'm gonna feel silly, if I already have them and don't even remember...
Old Jul 29, 2017, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Alright guys, who's ready for these things. Ill have 4 sets ready with some spare bodies this week. But with upgrading the Tormach to a Haas VF2 I wont be able to finish more parts for a while. Though I will be working on some new ideas in the CNC deadtime. The arms should be ready in the next week.

One question though, what would people like to see for finishing on the steel trailing arm and bodies in the future? I could delay things and get the trailing arms plated but the current bodies are setup with bearing clearances for no finishing like we did on the uprights. Ive thought about maybe doing a clear hard anodizing then post machining the bearing bores or just sizing for that growth.

Always looking to make better parts and fancier finishing my be the next step. Downside is it only increases cost with no performance gain.
Attached Thumbnails Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023-ssb-control-arms-ready-072917.jpg  
Old Jul 29, 2017, 04:01 PM
kaj

Sexy!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I have 4100s.. They have been on the car so long... I gotta go out and look I'm gonna feel silly, if I already have them and don't even remember...

My old 4100's did.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Alright guys, who's ready for these things. Ill have 4 sets ready with some spare bodies this week. But with upgrading the Tormach to a Haas VF2 I wont be able to finish more parts for a while. Though I will be working on some new ideas in the CNC deadtime. The arms should be ready in the next week.

One question though, what would people like to see for finishing on the steel trailing arm and bodies in the future? I could delay things and get the trailing arms plated but the current bodies are setup with bearing clearances for no finishing like we did on the uprights. Ive thought about maybe doing a clear hard anodizing then post machining the bearing bores or just sizing for that growth.

Always looking to make better parts and fancier finishing my be the next step. Downside is it only increases cost with no performance gain.
*raises hand*

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023