Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
we slotted the bolt holes on the rear engine mount. so you just slide it up into place after the gearbox is up and in. makes the job much quicker. we also use a quick release pit pin instead of a bolt. we also dont bother with the long through bolt that goes through the transfer case into the gearbox.

The rally guys take 3 or 4 more bolts out. only use like 4 to hold transfer to gbox etc but we didn want to get this carried away. those guys can have a box on the ground in 30min or so. amazing
The following users liked this post:
kikiturbo (Jan 8, 2018)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I look forward to be “victimized” as R&D Beta-Prototype tester��, subjecting it to loads generated by 285s & 295s at Laguna, Sonoma, Thunderhill, and more.
kikiturbo (Jan 9, 2018)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
we slotted the bolt holes on the rear engine mount. so you just slide it up into place after the gearbox is up and in. makes the job much quicker. we also use a quick release pit pin instead of a bolt. we also dont bother with the long through bolt that goes through the transfer case into the gearbox.

The rally guys take 3 or 4 more bolts out. only use like 4 to hold transfer to gbox etc but we didn want to get this carried away. those guys can have a box on the ground in 30min or so. amazing
yeah, the rally guys do not use the bolt that is in conflict with the acd line.. that way the acd stays attached all the time... they also use a dry break coupling on the acd line..
Old Jan 8, 2018, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
yeah, the rally guys do not use the bolt that is in conflict with the acd line.. that way the acd stays attached all the time... they also use a dry break coupling on the acd line..
I left that bolt out of mine the first time I did a clutch in my car. Figured 5/6 bolts was plenty lol
Old Jan 8, 2018, 04:13 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Hm. I'm gonna take a look at that mount, next time. I like that idea. I also left out the longer t-case bolt. I bought a brand new one... then figured "hellz nah". LOL. No way do I mess with ACD fluid for that ONE bolt.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Lol no ACD ftw
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

since I tend to screw up the first example of anything I make, decided to make the first top mout plates out of steel plate instead of CNCing them out of alu..

One additional benefit is that with 4 mm instead of 10 mm plate I get 6 mm more bump travel..

The original AST plates that came with my 5300 dont have the correct geo for what I want to do.. so I made these with 30 mm shift to the rear and 15 mm out. This will complement the new subframe and arms geo. As a consequence two bolts that hold the original AST top mount bearing holder have to be recessed to fit under the bodywork.
Also, the camber adjustment is completely moved to the struit mount... more of that later..
The hole in the top mount is for the external reservoar hose to pass trough...

Name:  bnsPRdw.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  IQyPShN.jpg
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  VHpgQif.jpg
Size:  109.2 KB

the top nut was limiting the max angle of the shock to about 8.5 deg. Since I plan on running 8 deg caster that was too close for comfort.. so I filed it down a bit
Name:  OSqorti.jpg
Size:  98.4 KB
MinusPrevious (Jan 10, 2018)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 02:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Lol no ACD ftw
Leaving one of half a dozen bolts out and having ACD > not having ACD.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I say it moreso because I like simple things. Not having an additional fluid to keep track of, more lines that can leak, a pump that can fail, more wiring and a second computer, and the potential of losing AWD if something in the system fails is a turn off for me. I'm a simple guy lol.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 06:37 PM
kaj

I say it moreso because I like simple things. Not having an additional fluid to keep track of, more lines that can leak, a pump that can fail, more wiring and a second computer, and the potential of losing AWD if something in the system fails is a turn off for me. I'm a simple guy lol.
I was poking fun. I'd rather have something mechanical in there. But.. I have to admit I really like how it works, now that it is tuned. Pretty impressive.
I suppose it's possible for failure to occur, too.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
since I tend to screw up the first example of anything I make, decided to make the first top mout plates out of steel plate instead of CNCing them out of alu..
You are certainly one our best fabricators on EvOM. Appreciate you sharing your hard work

Joe
kikiturbo (Jan 9, 2018)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I was poking fun. I'd rather have something mechanical in there. But.. I have to admit I really like how it works, now that it is tuned. Pretty impressive.
I suppose it's possible for failure to occur, too.
Haha, I figured. I've had people look at me like I'm retarded when I tell them I prefer non acd. There's no doubt acd offers better performance, same goes for mivec, I just like to keep things as simple as possible. Maybe one day when I get to chasing every tenth I can on lap times I'll wish I had it but until then I'm just going to focus on improving myself as a driver.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
actually I do not mind the bleeding of the system and adding new fluid... that is not the problem, but I always spill it on the workshop floor and need to clean the darn place...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 07:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts

You don't lose AWD, you just end up with a center diff. The improvement in the car is well worth the risk IMO. I don't like don't driving viscous coupling Evo's.

actually I do not mind the bleeding of the system and adding new fluid... that is not the problem, but I always spill it on the workshop floor and need to clean the darn place...
I don't think it's possible to pull the trans or transfer case without spilling some fluid lol
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Ah, I've never really looked into the ACD operation etc. I just figured it was pretty much a computer controlled clutch pack and once it loses control the axles can't lock anymore (open center diff) and once you try to give it power the front axle would just spin.

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023