Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
The setup shown above in that picture however has a LARGE contraption blocking the airflow into the turbo inlet. My setup only had a small nozzle after the intercooler. That setup shown is going to block airflow pretty badly IMO. I would burn through a washer tank of distilled water in a 30-40min track session at the Glenn. It was the only mod that I could feel the increase in power, but my EGT gauge would DROP....
The inducer isn’t restricted at all by the nozzle. That’s a 72mm turbo and it has a 4” inlet. The nozzle is actually pretty small.

This setup I did for a 400hp R1 motorcycle without an intercooler and running on the salt flats for five straight miles…….😁

No wheel erosion after many runs.

I should add that the tuner was able to get an additional 55 horsepower from this setup using the same fuel.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 03:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
With e85, I no longer see a favorable benefit vs risk for water injection.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,052 Likes on 764 Posts
Wait, you run full E85 PLUS 25% methonal PLUS water injection?

WHY?

Happy to have you show us the benefits but I would like to see hard data here, not seat of the pants claims.

I call BS on 55 horsepower gain from water injection. All that tells me is that tuner isn't tuning correctly for ethanol.
The following users liked this post:
Abacus (Sep 27, 2021)
Old Sep 24, 2021, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
It's always cool to see people experimenting with stuff but it's only natural that people are going to ask questions or want some proof to back up the words. If you post it on the internet, someone is going to be critical of it, that's just the way the average human mind works.

Pure chemical intercooling is something not often done nowadays outside of oddball stuff like salt flat runs or some drag cars than run off alcohol. It works fine for situations where you don't have room for an intercooler or there's some weird ruling about intercoolers or fuel but it's not widely done because ethanol and methanol both have higher latent heat of vaporization values than water so they're better able to absorb heat and spraying those too far up the intake system can make fueling a nightmare to tune and also can hurt peak power because it can fall out of atomization if it's suspended in the air stream too long, which is why you usually see people just spraying those through their injectors or somewhere around the inlet of the intake manifold.

I'd be a bit wary of running meth in a factory fuel tank, not sure if that's what you're doing or not, but it corrodes pretty much anything not made of stainless steel or a couple kinds of polymers. Being diluted doesn't make it as bad but I know a few people who've essentially melted injector filters and fuel filters doing that.
Factory fuel tank is long gone.

One thing you have not considered is what goes on inside your motor when water vapor is present (hint combustion temperatures and preignition with alcohol fuels).
I’ve read all kinds of technical papers on SAE’s website so I know.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 05:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Lmao “keyboard racers”. Totally, none of us in this thread use our cars outside of grocery runs.

So no data then. Cool.
I JUST installed a set of -10° camber plates all around. Don't speak for me.

If dude has no intercooler I can believe in an opportunity for decent gains by cooling things down in other ways.

I had an '83 Grand National. They called it a "hot air" car for a reason. Water injection made a crap ton of difference.

Not saying I agree nor disagree without seeing more. But I can see a possibility. I do lots of stuff to my car that I see makes a difference in certain areas without reporting to the Data Police.
2winscroll (Sep 24, 2021)
Old Sep 24, 2021, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts
When I was making my comments I assumed that the system was for an EVO, since this is the EVO forum. When you start talking about no intercooler, salt flats crazy stuff then the "normal" rules go out the window for what is good/bad/tested and confirmed for the EVO platform.
With that said I just removed two keys off my keyboard and made a racetrack out of toilet paper and I'm going to go race these keys and see if the letter A or S wins...

2winscroll (Sep 24, 2021)
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Shake hands & call it a day, please

All of you guys involved are our "best of best" here on the boards!
Bee-Raddd (Sep 26, 2021)
Old Sep 26, 2021, 02:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
sooo hows about them custom parts?

I finished off my cartek solid state remote battery isolator yesterday and seems to all work as advertised. now time to finish off my bulkhead plug through the firewall. sick of pushing wires down thru the main loom bung one day ill snag a wire i dont want snagged lol.
MinusPrevious (Sep 26, 2021)
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 583 Likes on 438 Posts
More parts you say? Friday I was finally able to take a breath at the day job so spent some free time designing a billet rear trans mount plate. I got sick of looking at the rusty cast iron mount that comes from the factory so probably going to get some of these made from billet aluminum soon.

sumopower87 (Sep 30, 2021)
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

When I was making my comments I assumed that the system was for an EVO, since this is the EVO forum. When you start talking about no intercooler, salt flats crazy stuff then the "normal" rules go out the window for what is good/bad/tested and confirmed for the EVO platform.
With that said I just removed two keys off my keyboard and made a racetrack out of toilet paper and I'm going to go race these keys and see if the letter A or S wins...
It is on my EVO, that was just a different similar project.

Installed on my evo

This whole project is in the development stage. So far I have been able to push 5psi more boost with the setup but much more testing is needed. My hopes are to settle in somewhere between a full methanol fueled car and an E85 setup. Full methanol would require different injectors and a mechanical pump. It would also not be street worthy in any way. If I can stick with E85 and a splash of Meth along with connecting rods that don’t need to be replaced every year I’ll be accomplishing my goals.

Sorry for all the BS, back to more custom parts is what I say!
The following 3 users liked this post by 2winscroll:
alpinaturbo (Sep 27, 2021), Ayoustin (Sep 27, 2021), ViciousLSD (Sep 27, 2021)
Old Sep 27, 2021, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Once it's working like you want, what improvements are you looking to change to make it ultimately reliable? That's a lot of joints/points of failure to consider.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts
2winscroll,
Your setup doesn't use pumps right? The pump is the electrical/mechanical failure point, but I believe he (2winscroll) has some sort of boost powered spray system going on here. There was a guy at the track I go to recently (road/race) who was running E85 and water/meth in one of those BMW "shoe" cars. Perhaps describe your system a bit more, as it is interesting.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Once it's working like you want, what improvements are you looking to change to make it ultimately reliable? That's a lot of joints/points of failure to consider.
It has 300m axles and a carbon fiber driveshaft along with aftermarket diffs. The weak point is the transfer case. It’s a pretty heavy car and launch needs to be controlled, track conditions watched. On the street it’s fine but at the track it needs to be controlled in 1st and 2nd gear to prevent drivetrain issues.

2winscroll,
Your setup doesn't use pumps right? The pump is the electrical/mechanical failure point, but I believe he (2winscroll) has some sort of boost powered spray system going on here. There was a guy at the track I go to recently (road/race) who was running E85 and water/meth in one of those BMW "shoe" cars. Perhaps describe your system a bit more, as it is interesting.
Right no pump, boost pressure to charge the tank, boost pressure for atomizing air at the nozzle. Solenoid for turning on the water to the nozzle. Tank pressure is controlled with an adjustable check valve. Water flow can also be adjusted at the spray head. The bike didn’t even have a solenoid for the water, just a poppet valve built into the spray head that is adjustable by changing a spring.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 03:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
More parts you say? Friday I was finally able to take a breath at the day job so spent some free time designing a billet rear trans mount plate. I got sick of looking at the rusty cast iron mount that comes from the factory so probably going to get some of these made from billet aluminum soon.

u guys must have a different rear mount to the JDM version? Either way its a pain in the u know what haha. One thing i would love is a decent rear diff mount for mechanical diff
Old Sep 28, 2021, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
u guys must have a different rear mount to the JDM version? Either way its a pain in the u know what haha. One thing i would love is a decent rear diff mount for mechanical diff
ayc and RS diffs have different mounts....
I was always wondering if mounting the diff directly on the rear subframe would be ok.. I see that some of the tubular subframes do it like that... must be noisy..

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023