Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
The ACD i just worked out which wires to the dash were for indication of the lights, Theres 3 wires 1 for each mode, they are negatively switched so all you do is run a common power 12v wire and then ground via those 3 wires, Depending on which mode the ACD is in it will open the selected ground path for that light.

So i bought 3x 12v bulkhead LED's and supplied them with a common fused power source. And then the negative side of the LED i hooked up to the wires that used to go to the dash cluster.

The Aim Dash talks to the Haltech via CANBUS the ACD system isnt affected by this.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bee-Raddd:
deylag (Jan 11, 2022), huzzle101 (Oct 27, 2021), SWOLN (Oct 27, 2021)
Old Jan 11, 2022, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Part request - rear tie down bracket with loops that don't stick down "too far" but are out of the way of rear splitters. This would come off of the 2 rear diff bolts and allow you to stick in a mac's hook easily. Tires are wider then the anchor points on the trailer, axel straps WITH large diffusers are becoming a royal pain and it tends to pull on it, and the rear t-hook anchor points on the chassis are simply nu-reachable once in said trailer.

It would look like: \___/ or

Old Jan 11, 2022, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 591 Likes on 446 Posts
I can easily do that for you. To be clear, you're talking about the two unused lower posts on the rear cover? Shoot me a photo of the underside of your car or an approximate angle you think they need to be bent at along with how long they need to be. I can get them drawn up this week and mail you some printed ones to make sure they fit right before moving to metal.

Old Jan 11, 2022, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Nah I'm think the two bottom heavy 17 or 19mm bolts just in front of that on the sub frame.

For the Evo X that's a bit more tricky. I suppose we could use the nuts off of the camber arms on the lower sub frame. But the Varis rear diffuser sticks down below that. Haven't tried putting it back on yet with the Invidia muffler sitting there.

Old Jan 11, 2022, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Ideally, it would allow the large locking hooks on the mac straps to X or cross without interfering with the exhaust or diffuser anymore.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 776 Likes on 591 Posts
Some steel tabs off that would be awesome to speed up strapping down. Definitely wouldn't anchor to the diff cover, but those big subframe bolts should be great.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Some steel tabs off that would be awesome to speed up strapping down. Definitely wouldn't anchor to the diff cover, but those big subframe bolts should be great.
Maybe even fold up out of the way like tow hooks are these days?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Yea I wasn't keen on the rear diff cover either, the subframe bolts make way more sense.

I do have concerns about exhaust clearance but I suppose that would depend on where your rungs are in the trailer. I think the design I would do is a single large loop big enough for both straps to clip into and uses both of those subframe bolts to mount. If you had two hooks with each one mounted with one bolt there is no way to prevent the straps from rotating the hooks as they tighten which could potentially untorque the bolts.

As for folding, I'd have to think about it a bit but I'd imagine it'd increase price a fair bit. Doing a single body loop would be reasonably cheap. I'll get a quick mock up design done in a few mins to show my intentions.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
The small things to deal with when doing race car stuff. I want an enclosed, but there are a lot of small things to figure out, like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 438 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
The small things to deal with when doing race car stuff. I want an enclosed, but there are a lot of small things to figure out, like this.
the annoying thing is every 'improved part' adds weight I'm trying to cook up tow hooks currently
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jan 11, 2022)
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

These should be minimal. Billet or the like to keep weight down. We don't care how much it costs if it works like it should lol. I was thinking one piece too. But...If you did two 90 degree brackets that a red folding tow hook thingie there is plenty of things we can do to lock those babies in place. Easiest is what I've been doing all winter. Get motorcycle bolts that are pre-drilled and safety wire them to each other. Nord locks, loctite, rat-a-tat the hell out of it. She ain't gonna come off if the hooks can swivel up and down. But then....why two, couldn't we just use the driver side one with a folding loop big enough for two strap hooks.

With that design it could be "long enough" downward to clear any exhaust setup anyone has, yet fold up out of the way so as not to cause drag. My trailer has both traditional 4 point D rings on each corner but also airline track down the insides of the tires. But with all that you still have to get it out from under the car to get any kind of ratcheting on it.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

I'd like to keep things simple with this. Don't want to overthink it. Could probably do a 2 piece design if this isn't far down enough for strap clearance but then there's a matter of either unbolting a second piece or having to design a tool-less quick release system.

Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 776 Likes on 591 Posts
Rear weight that low is pretty irrelevant for the convenience it could give.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 02:02 PM
EvoM Guru

No it's not, but you don't want it interfering with the air stream going under the car if it's not being removed before going on track.

Also, why don't you guys just use wheel straps? I've never had a problem doing that but I've only ever my evo on open trailers.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 438 Likes on 373 Posts
yes yes the bracket just reminds me of the weights i've added upfront along with the tow hook bracket I'm thinking of installing. ECS intercooler alone is +10lbs

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023