Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Dry Sump Thread: More offerings are available!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
We use a lot of OEM stuff (even at the 700hp level). Nothing ever seems to fit as good as OEM.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Shipping my Engine tomorrow to Ron at RS Motors to build me a 2.2. While its down I am reworking the Dry-sump, I ordered a Norris Design front cover to replace the factory modified unit. I was looking at the Magnus stuff but by using the Norris I can keep my pan as is and save $1200.00. Still debating ordering a Peterson Fluid primer remote mount, I know flyingscott has one on his build. I like the idea of easy priming before I would always take belt off and spin pump (10 minute job).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Where to run dry sump lines from trunk

Getting close guys. Here are some updates install pics. Curious how/where people have run the lines from the trunk all way to front. I think we have agreed to run thrugh trunk firewall, down through floorboard behind passenger seat, under car and up into engine bay through passenger fender well.

Remote primer front right corner. Peterson tank, Peterson breather, external fuel pumps, and battery in trunk.

Last edited by Driv200; Mar 24, 2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Paper filter question

It was brought to our attention last night we shouldn’t use the standard paper filter type of oil filter, rather a metal screen filter. We are also using the inline metal canister filter used with the Magnus.

Still recommend a catch can set up with a dry sump? Any feedback on either of these points?

Last edited by Driv200; Mar 24, 2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
we've been running a catch can with our drysump, but there has been literally zero oil in it from this past season. i've seen a lot of people run their breather lines from the valve cover to their breather tank, but that's a lot of AN line and i'm not fully convinced it's necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (Mar 31, 2018)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 02:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
we use standard style filters and were never told any diff.

We occasionally get build up in our catch can. but we r also on e85.

We have the rocker cover breathing back to the tank then tank to breather can. You need to make sure the breather lines are above the tank level. we ran ours up the a pillar behind the rollcage but its a racecar so a bit easier to do that than a street car.

Id recommend running a breather can but really u need to contact whoever supplied u the drysump kit and ask them for their recommendation
Driv200 (Mar 31, 2018)
Old Mar 31, 2018, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Started car! But pump no pump pressure on oil gauge

Started car! However, two confirmed problems.
* no pressure registering on oil pressue gauge. We can get random 1-20psi on gauge sometimes with spinning pump with drill. We did adjust the set screw on pump with no results.
* looking down into Peterson oil tank while spinning pump with drill, we don't see return oil line feeding oil back into tank. Big slow dome bubbles form at bottom and oil in tank eventually rises to the top. Is this normal? We thought it would suck oil down and the return line into tank would be flowing...but it remains empty.

After checking all the lines, it's a set back. Oh yah, and so was the water pump. Last step before start was adding water to radiator. We had water start leaking everywhere from water pump. This fix took all day with last minute runs to parts stores before closing on a holiday weekend. The fix was to use a 4g64 gasket on the block side and a evo gasket on the pump side. Who knew? "Everyone but us apparently." LOL! This is when I dream of being rich enough to send all this work out to shop wondering what it would be like to afford an extra $10,000 labor bill. 4

Not sure what to do at this point. It's almost like we have to just trust ourselves and press start and see what happens. I struggle with this. :-(
Old Mar 31, 2018, 09:46 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Driv200

Started car! However, two confirmed problems.
* no pressure registering on oil pressue gauge. We can get random 1-20psi on gauge sometimes with spinning pump with drill. We did adjust the set screw on pump with no results.
* looking down into Peterson oil tank while spinning pump with drill, we don't see return oil line feeding oil back into tank. Big slow dome bubbles form at bottom and oil in tank eventually rises to the top. Is this normal? We thought it would suck oil down and the return line into tank would be flowing...but it remains empty.

After checking all the lines, it's a set back. Oh yah, and so was the water pump. Last step before start was adding water to radiator. We had water start leaking everywhere from water pump. This fix took all day with last minute runs to parts stores before closing on a holiday weekend. The fix was to use a 4g64 gasket on the block side and a evo gasket on the pump side. Who knew? "Everyone but us apparently." LOL! This is when I dream of being rich enough to send all this work out to shop wondering what it would be like to afford an extra $10,000 labor bill. 4

Not sure what to do at this point. It's almost like we have to just trust ourselves and press start and see what happens. I struggle with this. :-(
This might be a dumb question, but does it need to be primed? Is it a self priming pump?
Driv200 (Apr 1, 2018)
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Not a dumb question at all. We put all 11 quarts in the Peterson tank then primed the pump directly using a drill thinking that would prime the lines. Since that hasn’t worked, we are going to fill the lines with oil, inlcluding the pan and the tank....and try again. Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
if the pump is primed, you should be getting oil pressure. can you post a pic of how you have the pump plumbed?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you have the pump plumbed wrong.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
You don't have the primer installed backwards do you?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Two weeks into trying to diagnose this problem. We can’t find why we are getting pressure at first, then slowly losing pressure down to ZERO in about 30 seconds. After checking the lines so many times, and confirming plumbing is correct, we are nearly out of options. When you are this stuck, it’s almost easier to change hobbies and sell it all. Anyone have any thoughts? What possibly could we have missed? We have videos of everything.....mechanical gauge, Oil in Peterson tank, etc....
[img]webkit-fake-url://ff785c4c-a53b-4fa5-bbcd-5b3a94019d88/imagejpeg[/img]
Old Apr 12, 2018, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Link to vid? Maybe do a vid showing how you have it plumbed (walk through vid). How many stage is your pump?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Are you collapsing the supply line (pressure pump inlet from tank) due to vacuum? Not all AN line like vacuum.

Quick Reply: Dry Sump Thread: More offerings are available!