Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Dallas,

Nice description for what is going around the corner! I agree with all the points in there.

Going back to the previous text, I just don't believe that using off the throttle is the best way to achieve all of the rotation that is needed to make it though the turn! The part that I don't like is for even having off throttle section. You get in under heavy braking and as soon as you are done with that part, you are back on throttle - there is no off the throttle section there. For, RWD or FWD perhaps there will be that phase out there especially for longer corners. But, for cars like EVO that have all these gadgets to help with car rotation build in, I don't believe there should be much of the off throttle in there and especially not to tune for it!
I may be biased as I have AYC and ACD on my 9 but I always found I have to be on the brakes or on the throttle for the car to turn... just off throttle and no brakes and the car did not turn as well..
Old Apr 2, 2019, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I may be biased as I have AYC and ACD on my 9 but I always found I have to be on the brakes or on the throttle for the car to turn... just off throttle and no brakes and the car did not turn as well..
I could say exactly the same thing for my car as well. Once on the biggest sweeper area that we have here at Devens, I even went way overboard with the throttle and had a full 4 wheel drift. What was really surprising was that car was still steerable though all that drifting. I guess something was done right for sure! Of course, I would never claim that is the fastest way around, but I did this three times (those were all fun runs) and on the each one, I came to the following gate too quickly to go through it the correct way!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
thats because you guys arent running and LSD.

With the Cusco LSD in my AYC rear diff it transformed the rotation and stopped submarining on turn in. Circuit racing corners are a slightly different dynamic but I think you guys are missing how important off throttle rotation is.

You brake in a straight line and sometimes trail brake also. u need rotation while trail braking and turning in. if u dont have it youll go straight ahead and get mad understeer. Also if your already on the gas at turn in then something is terribly wrong with driving technique. Also on long sweeping bends (again you probably dont really have this much in autocross) you need off throttle rotation to get the car through the bend at the highest speed possible.

Generally for circuit anyway its brake > off throttle rotate the car in to the apex > hit apex > roll the gas on lining up the exit onto the straight. Should be a similar concept in autocross just probably shorter time frame.

If your using a brake and then accelerate point and shoot method for all corners sounds like your overslowing the car before turn in and theres definately some major gains to be made by upping your corner speed and getting the car to rotate off throttle. again depending on the type of corner of course.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bee-Raddd:
codgi (May 23, 2019), kyoo (Apr 4, 2019)
Old May 23, 2019, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
interesting post from TRE:

Attention OS Giken owners, if you feel there is something missing...you're correct. Let TRE help make your differential work its best. Contact me directly for details at Jon@teamrip.com
Old May 23, 2019, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Still in love with my Giken, Anyone who wants a TRE can buy mine so I can buy a backup OS. I, unlike many, have ran both. I will never go back.

Zack
Old May 23, 2019, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wanabgts
Still in love with my Giken, Anyone who wants a TRE can buy mine so I can buy a backup OS. I, unlike many, have ran both. I will never go back.

Zack
he built up an OSG for someone, he modifies aftermarket diffs as well, as he did with my cusco in the past.
Old May 23, 2019, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 753 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
interesting post from TRE:
Jon cryptic as ever. Wonder if he's referring to removing the giken or something that also needs to be done with the giken in place?
Old May 23, 2019, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

he tagged/shared that comment in relation to this post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old May 23, 2019, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Our car is much different than others here, but the out of the box setup was great for our car. Over the Max lock we had in there in the past.

zack
Old May 23, 2019, 02:25 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
I don't do mystery. Spill it or not. Get my money or not.
Old May 23, 2019, 02:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by wanabgts
Our car is much different than others here, but the out of the box setup was great for our car. Over the Max lock we had in there in the past.

zack
If anything, you're car would work better with the unlocking of the OG compared to OEM style with preload since it seems to roll much less and keep that inside working more through a turn. So while I'm trying to unload that since the back of the car is just along for the ride, you're able to use it.

Its on my list of things to upgrade but not till I get a couple other things checked first. I have a feeling my ACD tune is holding pressure at higher steering angles that may be causing my understeer. Need to figure out how to log the ACD pump pressure with solostorm. Should be able to just tap into the existing pressure sensor. Even though I dont know the scale of it, I'll at least get to see what the magnitude of the signal is and when'where it changes.
Old May 23, 2019, 07:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I don't do mystery. Spill it or not. Get my money or not.
That's not how this business works. Just like how tuners don't post up their custom tunes for others to use. There are lots of guys in the gear business, Jon is smart to play his cards close to his chest. There are lots of competitor companies that are a good bit larger than TRE.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (May 24, 2019)
Old May 23, 2019, 07:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
That's not how this business works. Just like how tuners don't post up their custom tunes for others to use. There are lots of guys in the gear business, Jon is smart to play his cards close to his chest. There are lots of competitor companies that are a good bit larger than TRE.
There's a difference between "I'll tune your car to be faster" and "want your car to be faster? Ask me how.", then you have to go digging. And it's not easy reaching some people to get that info.
I don't need to know how he's doing it, I just want to know what he's doing. One piques my interest, the other makes me think, "Hm, neat. So anyway..."..
Maybe it's because I used to do sales. Maybe it's because we are inundated with "ask me how" click bait these days.
Its probably just me. I want to know what someone is selling me, not a teaser that requires research on my part just to see if I'm interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by kaj:
Bee-Raddd (May 26, 2019), kikiturbo (May 23, 2019)
Old May 23, 2019, 08:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Would probably be more productive to at least hint at the issue he thinks there is. The reality to me though, does Jon track these or any cars? I honestly dont know. But the guy who's specing the OSG diffs here is a 3x national champ autocrosser and 2018 SCCA driver of the year. He's not a slouch at all and makes his living setting up cars to handle.

Its also important to understand that there is a ton of crosstalk in how an evo handles and how to get it to do the right thing and when. Diffs, ACD, springs, shocks, bars, bump steer, ride height (CG and RC change at diff rates F/R) are all interlinked and its real easy to blame or contribute the handling differences to one thing when it could be something completely different.

Im a big fan of TRE and know they make some of if not the best builds for us. But this is a case where we need perspective and not blind faith.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dallas J:
Bee-Raddd (May 26, 2019), codgi (May 23, 2019), MrAWD (May 24, 2019)
Old May 23, 2019, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
If anything, you're car would work better with the unlocking of the OG compared to OEM style with preload since it seems to roll much less and keep that inside working more through a turn. So while I'm trying to unload that since the back of the car is just along for the ride, you're able to use it.

Its on my list of things to upgrade but not till I get a couple other things checked first. I have a feeling my ACD tune is holding pressure at higher steering angles that may be causing my understeer. Need to figure out how to log the ACD pump pressure with solostorm. Should be able to just tap into the existing pressure sensor. Even though I dont know the scale of it, I'll at least get to see what the magnitude of the signal is and when'where it changes.
Cant you log the ACD solenoid pressure/ current directly from the ACD ecu? I used to to that with Evoscan..

Quick Reply: 1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials