Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 411 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Since trans lubes the Front diff, no you dont want to use any friction modifiers unless you hate your syncros.

If youre having issues with the front pulling out of a corner then its more likely your rear diff. If the inside rear spins it causes ACD to lock up and shifts that torque forward which causes the understeer.
hmm ok. my rear diff is fresh too and rear LSD engages nicely. I think I have 140w in the rear, will some friction modifier in the rear be a good thing to try?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 750 Likes on 578 Posts
What rear diff?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Brad,

May I ask how much laptimes were reduce on SSB uprights?

FYI: I run Evo X AYC in my TME, - because X AYC Is stronger than Evo 4/5/6/6.5 AYC. It is however same as Evo 7-9 AYC. Only left CV flange is slightly different.
I got it because "Super AYC" that started in Evo 7 had the capacity to transfer significantly more torque to outside driving wheel than earlier AYC.

Yes, the AYC housing is far more fragile than RS. Sorry to see you have had these breakages. There is a fella in Germany making billet AYC housing, but for race car RS is totally the only viable solution. "Tuning' AYC ECU etc, not practical option at this point.

Cheers, Love that Evo is going so strong, saw your posts on FB.
Sorry its hard to say how much they have reduced without removing them and installing factory hubs and back to backing them. Id say maybe .5? its hard to judge. definitely made the car handle much nicer and more fun to drive.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Apr 5, 2022)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 411 Likes on 351 Posts
What rear diff?
TRE rebuilt ones. both of my fresh diffs are clunky BTW
Old Apr 4, 2022, 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Sorry its hard to say how much they have reduced without removing them and installing factory hubs and back to backing them. Id say maybe .5? its hard to judge. definitely made the car handle much nicer and more fun to drive.
These things are always hard to answer because its not a single net gain. Its so situational and dependent on the rest of the setup and which way is better optimized. Its like going from street tires to race tires then going slower because the balance was all wrong. I would give about a 0.5s potential on a 60s AX and 1-1.5s with both F/R potential. It could be more or less, just depends on everything else.

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
TRE rebuilt ones. both of my fresh diffs are clunky BTW
Check your preload (disconnect driveshaft, spin wheel by axle nut). If you have low preload then when you're unloading one tire that is all the torque you can put down. This is why I run the super aggressive diff.
ViciousLSD (Apr 4, 2022)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
question on front LSD, can I use those parts store friction modifiers on this, and would it help me? I swapped to my fresh TC with a new wavetrac and I am again fighting it. Coming out of slaloms I WOT... it feels like theres no traction on the front so steer a bit more, then the outside front gets traction and abruptly swerves the car. This issue is much worse when not in most aggressive modded-ACD setting. Any tips on addressing this issue? TIA
You also can't use LCD friction modifier on torsen/gear based diff
Those stuff are strictly for clutch pack diff only
Old Apr 4, 2022, 03:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOFans
You also can't use LCD friction modifier on torsen/gear based diff
Those stuff are strictly for clutch pack diff only
Technically a torsen still uses friction, its just a much much smaller area with the force coming from the worm wheel face and housing.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

These things are always hard to answer because its not a single net gain. Its so situational and dependent on the rest of the setup and which way is better optimized. Its like going from street tires to race tires then going slower because the balance was all wrong. I would give about a 0.5s potential on a 60s AX and 1-1.5s with both F/R potential. It could be more or less, just depends on everything else.
Yep very hard to put a figure on it. There was a definite gain in handling i can vouch for that.

Old Apr 4, 2022, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Yep very hard to put a figure on it. There was a definite gain in handling i can vouch for that.
Are you running the rears or just the fronts?

The most noticeable thing for me was how much more stable the rear was compared to stock uprights. I just did uprights and kept 12k/18k spring rates and even on cold tires it felt very predictable unlike the stock uprights.

I went higher spring rates all around this year and it feels even better. This is at autocross though.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 09:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Siluck2
Are you running the rears or just the fronts?

The most noticeable thing for me was how much more stable the rear was compared to stock uprights. I just did uprights and kept 12k/18k spring rates and even on cold tires it felt very predictable unlike the stock uprights.

I went higher spring rates all around this year and it feels even better. This is at autocross though.
Ive only done the fronts so far the rears are on the shopping wish list for sure
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
If you have the capability to log yaw rate, Ive been shooting to get in the 45-50deg/sec range. If you dont log it, that number is meaningless to you but I can say when I feel the car just wont turn, Its usually cause the back wont move and I see 30-40deg/sec. And when the car is real tail happy or I step too far into late braking and have to catch the rear, I'll see closer to 55deg/sec.
At least getting pressure logged would be a start but definitely want to add in steering angle. That one I need to wire an arduino and program it to count the OEM steering angle encoder. Should be simple enough, just gotta add it to the list of things to do.
I was re-reading this thread (Autocross Week starts tomorrow!) and wondering - how are you monitoring yaw? Did you ever get steering angle and is it in any way available through OBDII?

I have a racecapture mk3 and Autosport Labs does have this tutorial for installing an aftermarket sensor
https://www.autosportlabs.com/30-min...ensor-install/

(Technically mild thread jack but there are like 20 of us left at this point so Still enjoying my Gymkhana diff + ER ACD tune though it's all been set it and forget it last 2 years, haven't done any sort of AB testing)
alpinaturbo (Jun 4, 2023)
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I was re-reading this thread (Autocross Week starts tomorrow!) and wondering - how are you monitoring yaw? Did you ever get steering angle and is it in any way available through OBDII?

I have a racecapture mk3 and Autosport Labs does have this tutorial for installing an aftermarket sensor
https://www.autosportlabs.com/30-min...ensor-install/

(Technically mild thread jack but there are like 20 of us left at this point so Still enjoying my Gymkhana diff + ER ACD tune though it's all been set it and forget it last 2 years, haven't done any sort of AB testing)
UMS tuning did a steering angle sensor and I thought it was a great setup. I want to use an absolute encoder with that sensor mount.

View this post on Instagram

kikiturbo (Jun 7, 2023)
Old Jun 5, 2023, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

You can intercept the encoder signal from the factory steering angle sensor and create an output with an Arduino. I never bothered though.

Old Jun 7, 2023, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
You can intercept the encoder signal from the factory steering angle sensor and create an output with an Arduino. I never bothered though.
I dont know the data sampling rate of the OEM ECU but based on datalogs taken through the OBD2 I have seen that its not fast enough to match other modern data capture devices.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 07:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Factory ECU logging is completely garbage regardless. Anything you can offload to something like a racecapture or aftermarket ECU worth every bit of effort.

Quick Reply: 1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials