Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2024, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts
it is a shame you guys did not get AYC diffs in the US...
Old Jun 3, 2024, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
dont most people drop in a mechanical anyway for reliability? i dont imagine throwing a cusco in is going to retain the ayc functions.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
dont most people drop in a mechanical anyway for reliability? i dont imagine throwing a cusco in is going to retain the ayc functions.
I am also surprised by this, and I have heard about switching to the mechanical one as well. I remember there were two different versions of the AYC, with latest one being called Super AYC for much faster activation ability.
Having in mind that you could program that unit to do whatever you want with it, I can't believe that any mechanical one would perform better.

The only thing I could think of is reliability of the unit and how much power it can handle as a reason for one to go backwards
Old Jun 3, 2024, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Yes most of us drop the AYC because they explode. I blew 2 up in reasonably quick succession before dumping it for an RS setup. Tried the cusco diff in one for a short period of time had to disable the AYC and make up an internal bearing support etc. then it blew the ring n pinion anyway.

I remember at the time somebody more clever than me explaining its due to flex around the pinion bearing or something in the AYC diffs which is a weak point then they spread apart and shatter the casing. making them a grenade once u hit a certain level of power/ grip.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

yep, they do not like a lot of power and wide tires.. but damn the thing turns in like nothing else and the ease of yaw adjustment, mid corner, is something else.. esp on slippery surfaces..
Old Jun 4, 2024, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
I am also surprised by this, and I have heard about switching to the mechanical one as well. I remember there were two different versions of the AYC, with latest one being called Super AYC for much faster activation ability.
Having in mind that you could program that unit to do whatever you want with it, I can't believe that any mechanical one would perform better.

The only thing I could think of is reliability of the unit and how much power it can handle as a reason for one to go backwards
Super ayc has a different mechanical diff inside, planetary diff in fact, which allows more torque transfer.... But yeah, case is the weak point and likes to break..
Old Jun 4, 2024, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Super ayc has a different mechanical diff inside, planetary diff in fact, which allows more torque transfer.... But yeah, case is the weak point and likes to break..
yea the era of 225-245 tires for high performance is over. everyone here actually competing is running minimum 255s, 9.5"+ tires, and much more power & clutches that can handle 500+lbft.

It's a reliability thing, but also consistency. Yes there's things AYC can do that a mechanical can't, but the grip is still the grip and you can play with how you want the car to behave through setup. I'm actually really curious to see how the 1-ways going to feel compared to the 1.5s I've been running for the last 15 (!) years. I was the first cusco type RS 1.5 rear that Jon had, building his HD side cover for it.
The following users liked this post:
Name User (Jun 7, 2024)
Old Jun 5, 2024, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
There are many factors when it comes to differential tuning, it's not only 1.0way versus 1.5way.
There is initial preload, belleville (cone washer) stacking and thickness, plate stacking, ramp angles and oil slipperiness.
Getting this just right requires a lot of time, effort and data.

For example - 1.5way doesn't have any effect when braking because you're driving the diff the wrong way. the 0.5way only works when you're decelerating without any brake pressure. I've got wheel speed data to show it.

The following users liked this post:
black E (Jun 5, 2024)
Old Jun 6, 2024, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

interesting. then the biggest place a 1.5way would make difference over a 1way is when you do a lift off oversteer kind of move, in which it would try to limit it to an extent