Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
bumping this - i've got the OSG in the car, but as soon as I did the weather turned to **** and I haven't been out yet. I disconnected the rear trailing arm when I simultaneously swapped the rear sway bars, and I need an alignment before I do any real driving. I've been thinking about this topic and had one question

obviously 1.5 ways lock on accel and partially lock on decel - I've been hypothesizing that this is the reason for my corner entry understeer - but, depending on driving style, if you're not decelerating much by the time you enter a corner/if you're even briefly coasting, doesn't that mean the diff is not locking at all, forwards or reverse? basically, coast = not accelerating or decelerating with any significant amount of force, then no lock?

Based on my understanding, engine braking will lock the diff (50% for the 1.5). However, I do not believe the diff is locked under normal driving acceleration or deceleration. This probably depends on each design, the ramp angles and pre-load springs, etc. but significant torque (accel or decel) generally needs to be applied in order to lock the diff.

I also have a new LSD waiting to be tested out, pending install. (MFactory Helical Front)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If the transmission is in gear, and you're off throttle, there is decel force on the diff. I've never seen someone enter a comer on maintenance throttle unless it's a high speed sweeper.
but, as with acceleration, the amount of lockup force depends on how much force is going through the diff - i have to assume that relatively speaking, during minor coasting/braking, this is going to be a small amount of force acting on the diff - it's not on or off, so the percentage lock up so to speak is minor then?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 01:09 PM

but, as with acceleration, the amount of lockup force depends on how much force is going through the diff - i have to assume that relatively speaking, during minor coasting/braking, this is going to be a small amount of force acting on the diff - it's not on or off, so the percentage lock up so to speak is minor then?
I think its either engaged or not, theres probably a very small window of just beginning to engage, to engaged.
That's where the slip comes in, you can be engaged (locked) and slipping.

Perfect thought experiment would be driving a round-about, 3 circles.
1st you're on maintenance throttle, no lockup.
2nd you increase throttle/brake just enough to lock the diff, but the wheels are still spinning different speeds and with more grip than the LSD has to hold them locked together, so the LSD slips.
3rd, you increase the force on the LSD (accel or decel) to the point that you've overpowered or locked up one wheel, it spins/locks, which changes the RPM of the wheel relative to the other side. As this relative change occurs, the LSD differentiates which side the force is applied, limiting the slip between the two, resulting in a full lock (or in the 1.5 decel case, 50% lock).

In other words, you shouldn't notice the engagement unless medium-hard on throttle or near limit braking. All regular driving is just slip slip slip.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 144 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by SilviaVsSupra
I also have a new LSD waiting to be tested out, pending install. (MFactory Helical Front)
Is MFactory still making those front diffs? I thought someone said in the other thread that they were discontinued.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Construct
Is MFactory still making those front diffs? I thought someone said in the other thread that they were discontinued.
Dallas was referring to the plated front diff not being available anymore. I picked up a helical unit.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 144 Likes on 120 Posts
Oh, got it. I wonder why they stopped producing just the plated version for the IX.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 750 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by SilviaVsSupra
I think its either engaged or not, theres probably a very small window of just beginning to engage, to engaged.
That's where the slip comes in, you can be engaged (locked) and slipping.
Its far more complicated than that. There is a profile of engagement based on preload, ramp angles, engine side load, and how much load the tires can reciprocate.

Also the inside rear being unloaded needed to be taken into consideration. How much effect can it have when its not on the ground . But of course long before its off the ground, its barely able to do any work.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,557 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Coasting is not the same as decelerating. Engine braking is the biggest factor in making the diff lock on decel. no throttle, no brakes, and in gear does not mean coast, that is decel for the diff, and that is when it will be most locked up. What makes the diff lock is the force inputted by the dirveshaft.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Coasting is not the same as decelerating. Engine braking is the biggest factor in making the diff lock on decel. no throttle, no brakes, and in gear does not mean coast, that is decel for the diff, and that is when it will be most locked up. What makes the diff lock is the force inputted by the dirveshaft.
interesting, i did not realize this. Then how would, for example the OSG, "know" when to open up the lockup? If you assume a typical corner entry goes from hard brakes to soft brakes to a brief coast and then quickly back to squeezing on the throttle, i assumed that the hard braking/slow down forces the rear lockup to be the most aggressive - the wheels are slowed which forces the engine to be slowed, which forces the diff to be locked. you're saying that under hard braking and no braking/coasting, there is virtually no difference in a 1.5 way's lock up characteristic?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

interesting, i did not realize this. Then how would, for example the OSG, "know" when to open up the lockup? If you assume a typical corner entry goes from hard brakes to soft brakes to a brief coast and then quickly back to squeezing on the throttle, i assumed that the hard braking/slow down forces the rear lockup to be the most aggressive - the wheels are slowed which forces the engine to be slowed, which forces the diff to be locked. you're saying that under hard braking and no braking/coasting, there is virtually no difference in a 1.5 way's lock up characteristic?
No, being on the brakes does not lock the diff, being off throttle locks the diff. If anything, hard brakes reduces lock up because the axles are slowing the engine down faster than the engine is slowing the axles down, the driveshaft is exerting a smaller amount of torque on the diff and torque from the drive shaft (whether positive from accel, or negative from engine braking) is what locks the diff. This is part of why trail braking helps turn in on a car with a 1.5 way rear diff, you're lessening the lock.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

so how does the OSG differentiate decel lock-up vs when you need it open for corner entry? and just to clarify then - neutral = 0 lock up except preload?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:45 PM
EvoM Guru

If you read and understand what I'm saying, it literally doesn't do that. Diff lock up is determined by the net torque input from the driveshaft, period. That's it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

If you read and understand what I'm saying, it literally doesn't do that. Diff lock up is determined by the net torque input from the driveshaft, period. That's it.
so literally, you're saying their claim is a lie?

Our units are a negative preload design which allows for minimal lock when power is not delivered (turn in) and progressive maximum lock 100% on corner exit. Our unit is capable of controlling when 100% lock happens dependant on estimated power delivery and grip available (tires).
https://osgiken.net/ft-2716-faq.html

but you are saying there is no/little difference between when power is not delivered & when you are on the brakes correct?

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 21, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

That statement is dependent on ramp angles, ie whether it is a 1 way, 1.1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way diff.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

That statement is dependent on ramp angles, ie whether it is a 1 way, 1.1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way diff.
what? no it's not.. it held for my 1.5way at least in discussions with the guy who built my osg

Quick Reply: 1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials