Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020 | 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

2oz!? Maybe 2gs...when's the last time you bought a bag of...wait nvm
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by terror rising
Dallas, if you won't do it for your clutch do it for the weight savings!
Hahahhahhaa. Its on the front, gotta do it!

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The Aeromotive and AEM drop in pumps definitely aren't as reliable as the walbro.

Also, my clutch pill is removed. Knowing what I know now, I don't think removing it has any real benefit. Leaving it in makes it easier to modulate the clutch though.
This is why I have always left it in. When someone new gets in the car its almost a safety buffer preventing them from dumping it.

I guess my phrasing should have been more, who still has it, not who removed it...
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 01:20 PM
EvoM Guru

I mean. You can still shock the **** out of the drivetrain with it installed and brake stuff. It just might last a few clutch dumps instead of one lol.
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

you wallys complaining about fuel pump noise haha.

Try having no rear seat. a walbro intank. and then 2 bosch 044s out in the open in the boot. then come talk about pump whine haha.
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd

Try having no rear seat. a walbro intank. and then 2 bosch 044s out in the open in the boot. then come talk about pump whine haha.
A car I built here that we have the fuel system built for when it goes to making ~1000 wheel has dual AEM 400LPH pumps in a surge tank and twin walbro 255's in the stock tank. You can hear the pumps over the exhaust out side the car...lol
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 04:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

I have no interior and still rarely notice the pump.
Maybe I'm focused on other stuff.
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

The 044s arent that loud if you mount them in rubber. I have one in my bug mounted to the tube frame and can barely even hear it when its idling. The wally in my Evo is way louder. Not complaining though. Its just part of going fast. The complainers need to be reminded that they are driving Evos. If you want comfort, buy a different car!
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
The 044s arent that loud if you mount them in rubber. I have one in my bug mounted to the tube frame and can barely even hear it when its idling. The wally in my Evo is way louder. Not complaining though. Its just part of going fast. The complainers need to be reminded that they are driving Evos. If you want comfort, buy a different car!
Probably doesnt help i have all 3 wired to full power constantly and siemens 2433cc/min injectors which are one step down from a 2 inch drain pipe

In all seriousness though your exhaust should be loud enough to drown out any pump noise at anything above idle
Old Jun 30, 2020 | 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Probably doesnt help i have all 3 wired to full power constantly and siemens 2433cc/min injectors which are one step down from a 2 inch drain pipe

In all seriousness though your exhaust should be loud enough to drown out any pump noise at anything above idle
Barely at idle, my exhaust and the rest of the diff's at full tilt drown out everything and then some.
Old Jul 2, 2020 | 04:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I have no interior and still rarely notice the pump.
Maybe I'm focused on other stuff.
it’s amazing what we get used to, Whenever my kids or wife ride in my cars after a while of not being in them, they routinely ask “What’s that noise? Is it supposed to sound like that?” I never the notice the noises myself any more, but when they are pointed out, then I always have an answer. “Oh, that’s normal. The early AP1s do that. It’s called clutch buzz.” Or, “Yeah, all that gear noise is coming from the shifter. I swapped that for a billet shifter that is more solid feeling but it makes more noise. Did you know this is the same transmission as a Viper?” Or, “Yeah, that wine is just the fuel pump. It’s been doing that for 15 years.”
Old Jul 2, 2020 | 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
it’s amazing what we get used to, Whenever my kids or wife ride in my cars after a while of not being in them, they routinely ask “What’s that noise? Is it supposed to sound like that?” I never the notice the noises myself any more, but when they are pointed out, then I always have an answer. “Oh, that’s normal. The early AP1s do that. It’s called clutch buzz.” Or, “Yeah, all that gear noise is coming from the shifter. I swapped that for a billet shifter that is more solid feeling but it makes more noise. Did you know this is the same transmission as a Viper?” Or, “Yeah, that wine is just the fuel pump. It’s been doing that for 15 years.”
Seriously, lol. Last year during a track day I popped a coupler on track and the car died (**** MAF setups) and I had a passenger riding with me. While we were getting towed back to the pits my passenger asked if I broke an axle because my diff was making so many clunking noises when we'd go thru turns. I had to second guess myself because I wasn't used to hearing the diff lockup so much with the engine off hahaha
Old Jul 2, 2020 | 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

For me it's not getting used to it, it's my brain saying I don't need to pay attention to it. It saves my attention for new or changing sounds rather than the standard sound of brakes, decal rattle, diff noise, 3-port flutter, and exhaust.
Old Jul 2, 2020 | 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

yea i'm probably the least tolerant when it comes to noises here. diff and clutch noise, no problem, but high pitched whines on long drives... just shoot me.

i'm probably also of the few that still drive to events, 5hr + on most occasions. sounds would bother me less if i were only driving them in autox/track
Old Jul 7, 2020 | 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
it’s amazing what we get used to, Whenever my kids or wife ride in my cars after a while of not being in them, they routinely ask “What’s that noise? Is it supposed to sound like that?” I never the notice the noises myself any more, but when they are pointed out, then I always have an answer. “Oh, that’s normal.
My Evo is still fairly quiet thanks to the quiet WORKS exhaust. I know I could shed a few pounds with a lighter exhaust, but as long as it remains a registered street car I prefer to keep a quiet.

The suspension stiffness, on the other hand, always surprises my passengers. I'm completely used to it, but I have to apologize whenever a non-car person has to sit in the passenger seat.
Old Jul 7, 2020 | 02:07 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Originally Posted by kyoo
yea i'm probably the least tolerant when it comes to noises here. diff and clutch noise, no problem, but high pitched whines on long drives... just shoot me.

i'm probably also of the few that still drive to events, 5hr + on most occasions. sounds would bother me less if i were only driving them in autox/track
Pft. I drive to the race track in THIS (with earplugs and a stereo loud enough to hear past them), while breathing in e85 fumes and race rubber smells. It's like driving in a drum; everything echoes and is amplified x 10
I admittedly am getting lazier, though... and probably why I haven't done as many events as I have in the past...

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?