Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020 | 09:12 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Very cool to hear that an FP White Rabbit is still ticking. I had one of those installed until 2009. I just ordered a kit from Morrison Fab and they had not even heard of a White Rabbit and they are OG Mitsu folks. Really quick spool-up with the TME hot side. My moment of glory was coming out on top at the Redline Time Attack here in 2008 running a White Rabbit on a tight track. Showed all those fancy (but laggy) big turbo cars from around the country who was boss in Street AWD class!
It's true! Whether autocross or track days, people think my car must be making crazy power, on a big turbo. When I tell them it's only an upgraded cold side, they are surprised. A responsive car *can* be a lot faster than a more-powerful car. I know it's a lot more fun.
Makes me sad that if I decide to start chasing certain lap times, I'll HAVE to go bigger.

Old Sep 16, 2020 | 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
FWIW I have just the head unit and a good set of speakers. My car has no cat, no carpet, and no interior from b-pillar back. I can crank it up enough to hear while driving on the freeway. Earplugs help block out car noises, turn up volume to taste.

Plenty of room for HVAC and gauges.
Works HF Cat (installed upside-down to hide the "OFF-ROAD ONLY" etching LOL) cuz I can't stand the smell. Otherwise, yes, just turn it up! Love your setup! I can't let go of the idea of a double-din flatscreen of some kind in there, though. I have lots of time. LOL Thanks!

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Very cool to hear that an FP White Rabbit is still ticking. I had one of those installed until 2009. I just ordered a kit from Morrison Fab and they had not even heard of a White Rabbit and they are OG Mitsu folks. Really quick spool-up with the TME hot side. My moment of glory was coming out on top at the Redline Time Attack here in 2008 running a White Rabbit on a tight track. Showed all those fancy (but laggy) big turbo cars from around the country who was boss in Street AWD class!
The Xede was pretty advanced compared to what was around when the Evo came out. My Evo started with an SAFC! Then UTEC. Then Dynoflash. Then finally ECU Flash.

Ah, the memories!
Had all my setup installed back then and Al from Dynoflash blew through town and tuned a couple of us. She's been terrible to handle in parking lots, with the A/C on, etc. every since. LOL Mellon did a great job when I upgraded injectors and bored a few things out. But he couldn't touch the hacking that Al had done. I'm looking forward to easier to drive since it'll be a near daily driver. She beats anything off the line if I do my part, though. Autocross on other than tiny courses is a blast!

Originally Posted by kaj
It's true! Whether autocross or track days, people think my car must be making crazy power, on a big turbo. When I tell them it's only an upgraded cold side, they are surprised. A responsive car *can* be a lot faster than a more-powerful car. I know it's a lot more fun.
Makes me sad that if I decide to start chasing certain lap times, I'll HAVE to go bigger.

I'm sure I'll find that out when I get to a road course (finally). LOL
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 05:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Smaller doesn't always mean more responsive. The key is to not fall below the boost threshold of the turbo. Any ball bearing turbo is responsive if you stay in the right rev range.
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Smaller doesn't always mean more responsive. The key is to not fall below the boost threshold of the turbo. Any ball bearing turbo is responsive if you stay in the right rev range.
Don't bother arguing this with Kaj. If it doesn't make 40psi at 3rpm (yes three) He doesn't want to hear it.
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 08:26 AM

sorta on topic......

Is there some reason OEM ALS conversions aren't more popular?
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
sorta on topic......

The USDM ECU can't run it IIRC. And with the absence of an electronic throttle (to hold the throttle open) it doesn't work that great.
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The USDM ECU can't run it IIRC. And with the absence of an electronic throttle (to hold the throttle open) it doesn't work that great.

I remember a while back when I was looking at the fuel circuit stuff coming across the ALS circuit. On my board the driver chip was not there, I'm not too sure about the upstream components, but it could just be a matter of soldering in a chip and activating the code in the rom. I think the driver chip was a common part, but even if it wasn't it could be pinched from some other cheap mitsu (or chrysler) ecu. Along with obviously installing and wiring up the als hardware.

From what your saying though it sounds like it isn't worth the effort. I would think people who have moved to aftermarket EMS could probably take advantage of it more easily. I believe some folks have done DBW conversions with stand alone's as well.
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 12:57 PM
kaj

Not just the turbo- I've built the car around that premise. I've had to compliment the turbo with other parts to get the desired results. It goes and it goes now at pretty much any RPM. I :heart: it. But I gotta say if someone has a smaller turbo that is less responsive than a larger one, they are doing it wrong ....which I've seen
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

sorta on topic......

One word. Emissions.

NOx emissions go thru the roof when you put fresh air into a hot exhaust stream.
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru

From what your saying though it sounds like it isn't worth the effort. I would think people who have moved to aftermarket EMS could probably take advantage of it more easily. I believe some folks have done DBW conversions with stand alone's as well.
Have you seen this old thread on the factory ALS? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ctory-als.html A lot of good information from mrfred, merlin, donner, English Racing, and others.

I was always hoping that @211ratsbud would get it all working and post some results, but it looks like he listed the hardware for sale earlier this year: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/market/759488

As much as I'd love to see a good solution using OEM hardware and OEM ECU, I think it would be far easier and more effective to just contact John Reed Racing and get a tried and true Motec based setup with his custom firmware. Won't be cheap, but it will work.
Old Sep 17, 2020 | 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Construct
Have you seen this old thread on the factory ALS? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ctory-als.html A lot of good information from mrfred, merlin, donner, English Racing, and others.

I was always hoping that @211ratsbud would get it all working and post some results, but it looks like he listed the hardware for sale earlier this year: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/market/759488

As much as I'd love to see a good solution using OEM hardware and OEM ECU, I think it would be far easier and more effective to just contact John Reed Racing and get a tried and true Motec based setup with his custom firmware. Won't be cheap, but it will work.
I must have missed that one. Thanks I'll read through, sounds like no happy ending though.
Old Sep 18, 2020 | 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

you should look into hks 7460r, that thing was insane while it worked
Old Sep 18, 2020 | 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

One word. Emissions.

NOx emissions go thru the roof when you put fresh air into a hot exhaust stream.
Much hate for that word.
Old Sep 18, 2020 | 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

For ridiculous low RPM performance, wouldn't the Norris twin-charged set-up be hard to beat? I've always thought that would probably be hard to beat for autocross. That, or perhaps an electric Evo purpose-built for SM (small batteries, etc.).
Old Sep 18, 2020 | 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

once the season winds down, for fall/winter got a few things lined up..
- ATS or Cusco (leaning toward ATS) 1-way front diff
- ATS or Cusco (leaning toward ATS) 1.5-way rear diff
- change up the springs to 10/12 (yes I custom valved the shocks for 8/11 but within range..)

just looking to get a little more serious about competing in grid life. a butt load of seat time to come with that as well obviously

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?