Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020 | 09:26 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

So I did an "endurance autocross" this last weekend on a kart track with some interesting results.

The route has been run for 46 years and has a history of records continuously updated as records of this event are broken. First of all, the results are I did beat the old Street Mod Record set by a friend who had a solid and tough to be by any normal car record, but I dropped the 3:59 record down to 3:46. Seems appropriate since I do have the current and previous national champion car and its better this year BY FAR with fixed diffs and a few changes. Im of course hunting for a track record set by a B-mod car (D-sport racer if you arent familiar with B-mod that weighs ~1000lbs with usually a 1000cc motorcycle motor) but it was a bit out of reach at 3.42.

Car issues...

The most prominent being brakes. The Wilwood SL6R and DS2500 just wasnt up to the task and we (wife and I) had to baby them to make sure they didnt completely fall away in the 5 laps. Sitting in the garage now the pedal is still fully mush even though right before the event they were flushed with Motul RB600. I knew the brakes were going to be weak but at least they never fully gave up with conservation in the 2 heavy brake zones. Im working on the real long term solution to autox/track brakes now (thanks @Balrok for getting them here) with Aero6 calipers, carbotech XT-10 pads, and my old rotors.

Next issue is coolant... We were filling and pushing a little extra into the overflow both days. Not something we ever see in normal AutoX but the heat of the day and longer sessions started to shows something isnt 100% right. Keeping an eye on things it seemed to get to a point and hold and the next morning sucked things back from the res. I think my original radiator cap wasnt letting pressure build or my generic mix of antifreeze/water was inadequate for what we were doing. I checked today with an open radiator cap while idling to warm up that we didnt push air into the system via a headgasket and that all looked good.

Now, to test this fix things for a test this weekend preparing for a little even down in texas next month
Old Oct 5, 2020 | 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

If you still can, get XP-12. Same cold performance and better when hot.
Old Oct 5, 2020 | 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
I'm with you. I bought a G4x fury and it's a very familiar/similar interface to other aftermarket ECUs......it's not Motec level but I'm not sure what's bad about it? Available online resources and customer support is great. I was afraid of using emtron or ecumasters because it felt more foreign and I wasn't sure about the support.
I got offered Motec at a very good price, but pulled the trigger on the Link G4+ PNP in the end. I dont need one more thing to develop. Looking into multi tooth crank triggers now..
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Oct 6, 2020)
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

pretty much as soon as i started doing road course work i found the needs for braking and cooling are completely different
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone done any recent research on turbos? I'm trying to decide what turbo to go with for my 2.2 build. I will probably need two turbos...one for the shorter tracks that I have around me...and a larger ones like Road Atlanta or equivalent. Typically the EFR's still have a lot of love, but I've been looking at the G-Series. Thoughts?
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Almost all of the record setting and successful TA cars run EFRs. My vote would either be EFR or something from Xona.
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
So I did an "endurance autocross" this last weekend on a kart track with some interesting results.

The route has been run for 46 years and has a history of records continuously updated as records of this event are broken. First of all, the results are I did beat the old Street Mod Record set by a friend who had a solid and tough to be by any normal car record, but I dropped the 3:59 record down to 3:46. Seems appropriate since I do have the current and previous national champion car and its better this year BY FAR with fixed diffs and a few changes. Im of course hunting for a track record set by a B-mod car (D-sport racer if you arent familiar with B-mod that weighs ~1000lbs with usually a 1000cc motorcycle motor) but it was a bit out of reach at 3.42.

Car issues...

The most prominent being brakes. The Wilwood SL6R and DS2500 just wasnt up to the task and we (wife and I) had to baby them to make sure they didnt completely fall away in the 5 laps. Sitting in the garage now the pedal is still fully mush even though right before the event they were flushed with Motul RB600. I knew the brakes were going to be weak but at least they never fully gave up with conservation in the 2 heavy brake zones. Im working on the real long term solution to autox/track brakes now (thanks @Balrok for getting them here) with Aero6 calipers, carbotech XT-10 pads, and my old rotors.

Next issue is coolant... We were filling and pushing a little extra into the overflow both days. Not something we ever see in normal AutoX but the heat of the day and longer sessions started to shows something isnt 100% right. Keeping an eye on things it seemed to get to a point and hold and the next morning sucked things back from the res. I think my original radiator cap wasnt letting pressure build or my generic mix of antifreeze/water was inadequate for what we were doing. I checked today with an open radiator cap while idling to warm up that we didnt push air into the system via a headgasket and that all looked good.

Now, to test this fix things for a test this weekend preparing for a little even down in texas next month

Filling the reservoir on extended sessions is normal. For track days, I make sure my reservoir is empty, and leave about an inch of room in the radiator for expansion. Pretty much the same thing you do on a dirt bike because they don't have an expansion/overflow tank. The over flow line just drains to the ground, so even if you fill the rad up it just bleeds off the excess as it warms up.
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Filling the reservoir on extended sessions is normal. For track days, I make sure my reservoir is empty, and leave about an inch of room in the radiator for expansion. Pretty much the same thing you do on a dirt bike because they don't have an expansion/overflow tank. The over flow line just drains to the ground, so even if you fill the rad up it just bleeds off the excess as it warms up.
same - i made a black line about an inch under the full line, it gets just right where it needs to be when hot
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 10:20 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Originally Posted by kyoo
pretty much as soon as i started doing road course work i found the needs for braking and cooling are completely different
Truth. I run the bigger, heavier brakes and waterless coolant so that I wouldn't have to deal with them again. Worth the penalties, IMO.
One day, I'll step up to some sexy brakes and shave the weight.
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Quick question for you guys. Looking for a cheap track tire for my Cobalt. Not shooting for best lap times but more of best bang for the buck and something that will last. I have it narrowed down the the Falken 615K+ or Nitto NT05. I have experience with the 615 and find it to be a good budget tire but havent run Nittos besides the NT01 on my Bug. Any input would be great!
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Hankook R-S4 are great track tires if you're looking for best bang for the buck.

They last forever, grip decently well, and handle heat better than the modern 200TW tires.
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Hankook RS4 or Maxxis VR1 for something that will be fairly quick and last on track. Either will last a full season.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Oct 6, 2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 07:34 PM
kaj

Hankook R-S4 is a killer tire. It performs a bit above it's price range and can take 20-30min beatings without blinking.
Old Oct 7, 2020 | 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Truth. I run the bigger, heavier brakes and waterless coolant so that I wouldn't have to deal with them again. Worth the penalties, IMO.
One day, I'll step up to some sexy brakes and shave the weight.
new product from red line oil btw - https://www.redlineoil.com/supercool-with-waterwetter
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Oct 7, 2020)
Old Oct 7, 2020 | 08:48 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
new product from red line oil btw - https://www.redlineoil.com/supercool-with-waterwetter
That looks like a really nice alternative if someone already has water and coolant in the car. Mine only builds about 5-7psi of pressure, which is the #1 I use it, but I see no corrosion or electrolysis also with the Redline which is my #2. LOL
solid looking stuff. Me likey. Nice find!

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?