Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021 | 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

fwiw - could not get the job done this past weekend at NCM. the top contenders in street are way, way out of reach but there was a decent battle for 3rd between a couple of evos and a model3p.

ultimately i ended up 7 tenths off pace. I had a clean chance to get it done and I just couldnt pull together a good drive. the other evo is definitely quicker, around a hundred pounds lighter with more stripped and cams + high comp motor, vs my stock cams and stock block - but not outside of a driver's race.

my driving needs work but what i've got upcoming for now before the next event is: cams/springs/retainers & tune tweak, battery + acd pump relocation, and a fixed back seat. should help a little with balance/weight. i'm currently on 8/11 springs, but may go to 8/12. still thinking about it. is there a rough idea on how much one stiffer on the rear sway bar is worth, generally speaking, in terms of spring rate increase?

Last edited by kyoo; Apr 19, 2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2021 | 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by kyoo
fwiw - could not get the job done this past weekend at NCM. the top contenders in street are way, way out of reach but there was a decent battle for 3rd between a couple of evos and a model3p.

ultimately i ended up 7 tenths off pace. I had a clean chance to get it done and I just couldnt pull together a good drive. the other evo is definitely quicker, around a hundred pounds lighter with more stripped and cams + high comp motor, vs my stock cams and stock block - but not outside of a driver's race.

my driving needs work but what i've got upcoming for now before the next event is: cams/springs/retainers & tune tweak, battery + acd pump relocation, and a fixed back seat. should help a little with balance/weight. i'm currently on 8/11 springs, but may go to 8/12. still thinking about it. is there a rough idea on how much one stiffer on the rear sway bar is worth, generally speaking, in terms of spring rate increase?
If you are lifting a tire, one step stiffer is roughly 0% stiffer. If you are not, it depends on the bar. WL is in the 15-20% per hole pairing.
Old Apr 19, 2021 | 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

i was talking about going softer, with stiffer rear spring offsetting. regardless, i lifted when it was soft, and i lifted when it was on medium, still made a noticeable difference on car balance in everything - sweepers, tight turns, etc. empirically i haven't experienced the bar not making a difference once it lifts a wheel theory, but whatever. i dont know if it's lifting earlier, for longer, or if there's more force for the bar to want to be straight again, don't really care, but there is a difference.

gonna order the 12k springs and set the rear bar back to soft. if anything, car will keep a similar balance and be happier going over curbing
Old Apr 19, 2021 | 02:45 PM
EvoM Guru

i was talking about going softer, with stiffer rear spring offsetting. regardless, i lifted when it was soft, and i lifted when it was on medium, still made a noticeable difference on car balance in everything - sweepers, tight turns, etc. empirically i haven't experienced the bar not making a difference once it lifts a wheel theory, but whatever. i dont know if it's lifting earlier, for longer, or if there's more force for the bar to want to be straight again, don't really care, but there is a difference.

gonna order the 12k springs and set the rear bar back to soft. if anything, car will keep a similar balance and be happier going over curbing
There is certainly cross talk with other things that will make a difference. Things like a stiff bar will lift sooner and higher for a given lateral load weight transfer and set down later on throttle. But I think you're on the right track with more rear spring and trying new things.
Old Apr 19, 2021 | 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
There is certainly cross talk with other things that will make a difference. Things like a stiff bar will lift sooner and higher for a given lateral load weight transfer and set down later on throttle. But I think you're on the right track with more rear spring and trying new things.
that's probably what it is - we'll see how the car feels with the new springs, and all the other mods that are incoming - it will be a decent amount of minor to fairly minor changes in one go, hope to make up the gap a little bit
Old Apr 19, 2021 | 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

just confirmed that it's the inner (2 bushings with 1 center tube) front control arm bushing that is failing - kind of a random one, but i think mine is quite old - back from when this part came yellow from whiteline. it looks like there's a few options now, whiteline, superpro, powerflex. powerflex has a black series with a 95duro bushing as well too. these are all more or less pretty much the same right?
Old Apr 19, 2021 | 09:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

WAS ready for Autoclub Speedway...

Until I realized I gotta find a place that can me get helper bags by Thurs.
was gonna go with the weight distribution hitch, but I have no idea what my tongue weight is.

Old Apr 19, 2021 | 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
WAS ready for Autoclub Speedway...

Until I realized I gotta find a place that can me get helper bags by Thurs.
was gonna go with the weight distribution hitch, but I have no idea what my tongue weight is.

i really want one of these
https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/t...ibution-hitch/
Old Apr 19, 2021 | 09:36 PM
kaj

same, I just can't seem to track one down so I can get it installed before I leave Friday morning.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept.aspx?furl=pg-Weight_Distribution_Hitch-sz-Allows_Backing_Up&sort=-sb-Price
Old Apr 20, 2021 | 07:41 AM
EvoM Guru

just confirmed that it's the inner (2 bushings with 1 center tube) front control arm bushing that is failing - kind of a random one, but i think mine is quite old - back from when this part came yellow from whiteline. it looks like there's a few options now, whiteline, superpro, powerflex. powerflex has a black series with a 95duro bushing as well too. these are all more or less pretty much the same right?
You originally thought it was the rear bushing, are you saying it's the front now? Were you using offset or centered rear bushings?
Old Apr 20, 2021 | 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
You originally thought it was the rear bushing, are you saying it's the front now? Were you using offset or centered rear bushings?
that's what i thought but the guy who inspected said it was the front inner. superpro duro offset bushings for more caster in rear. old whitelines in front inner
Old Apr 20, 2021 | 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Kaj, this may sound odd, but from the looks of the trailer setup you may want to back the Evo on there which will put the weight actually closer to the axel center line and see how it drives around town. Naturally there is fear of a pendulum effect but with a anti-sway/weight distro hitch that should technically solve the problem until you get bags. Just keep it at 65. I use the Husky CenterLine one.
Old Apr 20, 2021 | 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

First time trailer setup is definitely a task you should take serious. Once you experience the sketchyness of a bad setup vs a proper setup you'll understand how risky it is.

Too much tongue weight will be better for stability in wag but youre going to have terrible control in braking with how that looks if you also have your brake controller set strong enough (trailer should try and stop you and not push you).

Air bag will of course help but weigh dist bars have always been the most noticeable difference in stability after you get ~15% tongue weight dialed in.
Old Apr 20, 2021 | 08:57 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Balrok
Kaj, this may sound odd, but from the looks of the trailer setup you may want to back the Evo on there which will put the weight actually closer to the axel center line and see how it drives around town. Naturally there is fear of a pendulum effect but with a anti-sway/weight distro hitch that should technically solve the problem until you get bags. Just keep it at 65. I use the Husky CenterLine one.
For the heck of it, I flipped the car around and ended up with horrible sway. I have use the trailer hundred times and it always worked perfectly, just obviously not with my new truck. Sadface lol

Originally Posted by Dallas J
First time trailer setup is definitely a task you should take serious. Once you experience the sketchyness of a bad setup vs a proper setup you'll understand how risky it is.

Too much tongue weight will be better for stability in wag but youre going to have terrible control in braking with how that looks if you also have your brake controller set strong enough (trailer should try and stop you and not push you).

Air bag will of course help but weigh dist bars have always been the most noticeable difference in stability after you get ~15% tongue weight dialed in.
I'm calling around today to see what my options are. I'm trying to get at least airbags, if not a distribution hitch installed by Thursday. My issue with the weight distribution hitch is I have zero idea what my tongue weight is and no way to test.

Last edited by kaj; Apr 20, 2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2021 | 09:54 AM

I wonder if my full size range would be any good at towing a trailer with all this airbag talk

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?