Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021 | 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Your shop pulled the block and swapped in a new one in under a week? Holy hell. Stay with that shop forever. Mine took mooooooonths.
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks

Evoscan is obviously better, but it's not that much faster. Maybe another 20% or something.
I doubled checked some logs from a couple months ago and verified 12-15hz on them logging 13 items. Would certainly be quicker if I logged less stuff but still ****ty. So I wonder why the Openport2.0 logging speed is capped at very specific intervals instead of being max speed? And anyone know a line of code to increase it?
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 06:16 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

That's a good question. Supposedly the openport 2.0 will do mode23 logging, but I have never tried it. That should be pretty fast.
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 06:18 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

IIRC Mode23 is EvoX only.
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
IIRC Mode23 is EvoX only.
Yeah that's right. My X is stock so I haven't really had any motivation to try it out. I just meant if it can supposedly do mode23 speed then it's probably more of a software thing vs hardware limitation.
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Your shop pulled the block and swapped in a new one in under a week? Holy hell. Stay with that shop forever. Mine took mooooooonths.
RS had a new OEM short block in stock and assembled. that's why I brought the car from my shop to RS - regardless, yes - extremely fast.

So there was a broken vacuum port for the fuel pressure regulator and RS suspects that is what caused it. Kind of a freak incident. AFRs were low 11s throughout, I don't think it was the tune. The injectors flowed the same for all 4.

Is there anything else that could have caused it that I should worry about?
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

I know you guys are trying to save money and technically the stock ecu can do well but come on people...its 2021. You can't ignore how much more even budget standalones can give you today over stock evo 7/8/9 ECU. Theres no getting around the stock ECU's logging limitations.

There is usually an imbalance in flow over the stock manifold from cyl #1 to #4. I think the numbers are somewhere on this forum. That can contribute to lean/rich conditions per cylinder that could have been compensated by per cylinder fuel tuning (and ignition timing if you convert to sequential ignition). Per cylinder EGT is one way to do it but I think dual knock sensors to figure out which cylinder is knocking may also work....at least thats what I'm trying on my own setup.

Here is my advice if you continue to track your car. Know how it's running. Never assume. Doesn't mean you have to become a tuner, but it will be more rewarding and confidence-inspiring if you have more of a sense of how your car is running health-wise and you could see something that could hurt you in the long run.
Yes....but it cuts both ways. If something does blow up then you have to blame yourself too. Some people just want to blame others.
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 04:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deeman101
I know you guys are trying to save money and technically the stock ecu can do well but come on people...its 2021. You can't ignore how much more even budget standalones can give you today over stock evo 7/8/9 ECU. Theres no getting around the stock ECU's logging limitations.

There is usually an imbalance in flow over the stock manifold from cyl #1 to #4. I think the numbers are somewhere on this forum. That can contribute to lean/rich conditions per cylinder that could have been compensated by per cylinder fuel tuning (and ignition timing if you convert to sequential ignition). Per cylinder EGT is one way to do it but I think dual knock sensors to figure out which cylinder is knocking may also work....at least thats what I'm trying on my own setup.
I wonder how significant that imbalance is when running E85 and targeting conservative AFRs in the .75-.8 lambda range?

Old Jun 18, 2021 | 06:09 AM

Yes....but it cuts both ways. If something does blow up then you have to blame yourself too. Some people just want to blame others.
The way I see it, if you need a stand alone to do HPDEs you are probably better off just buying a faster stock car and running that. There are plenty of data acquisition systems out there you can use to augment what you aren't getting from the ecu. There are folks out there running and tuning carbureted engines and guess how many logs those put out . Shiny new tech is nice, but it's skills that makes the real difference.

P.S. Once you do pull the trigger and go stand alone, if you modify your engine to take advantage of all those advanced features, you won't be able to swap the stock ecu back in. For most folks that means its now a dedicated off road vehicle.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 18, 2021 at 06:37 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

i get having that kind of stuff when the car's been modded extensively but.. my build is stock turbo ~24psi, stock motor, minor bolt-ons, seems overkill to have an aftermarket ecu.

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I wonder how significant that imbalance is when running E85 and targeting conservative AFRs in the .75-.8 lambda range?
so i'm on a dual map with 93 and e85. on the 93 map i would get some flashes of knock count here and there that we had to tune out. On the E85 map, I never saw a single count

in any case, if no one else has any thoughts, i guess no other chanegs will be made. i'll pick up the car this weekend, do some mileage on the break-in, and then flush and datalog. so basically, new block, new oil pump, new oil cooler, washed everything else, and bypassed the fpr and deleted the balance shaft. not sure what else could cause it if the tune was on target the whole time, so i will give it a go.

Last edited by kyoo; Jun 18, 2021 at 06:50 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo
in any case, if no one else has any thoughts, i guess no other chanegs will be made. i'll pick up the car this weekend, do some mileage on the break-in, and then flush and datalog. so basically, new block, new oil pump, new oil cooler, washed everything else, and bypassed the fpr and deleted the balance shaft. not sure what else could cause it if the tune was on target the whole time, so i will give it a go.
I think your failure is kind of in the freak accident category. I have seen a fair amount of solenoids like that break from the plastic getting brittle. The only way I could see avoiding this would have been proactively replacing the solenoid, or removing (bypassing) it. If I'm not mistaken, its function is to block vacuum signal from the manifold while cranking, so you get more pressure at the rail. Maybe it could have been picked up during an inspection if you were going around wiggling stuff. I kind of accidentally did that with my factory BCS a long time ago when I was working on the car. Went to remove a line and the nipple just snapped off. At the time it was running the stock boost line, so it probably wouldn't have been too bad, but if it was like a plastic 3-port that could easily have led to an overboost condition.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jun 18, 2021)
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I think your failure is kind of in the freak accident category. I have seen a fair amount of solenoids like that break from the plastic getting brittle. The only way I could see avoiding this would have been proactively replacing the solenoid, or removing (bypassing) it. If I'm not mistaken, its function is to block vacuum signal from the manifold while cranking, so you get more pressure at the rail. Maybe it could have been picked up during an inspection if you were going around wiggling stuff. I kind of accidentally did that with my factory BCS a long time ago when I was working on the car. Went to remove a line and the nipple just snapped off. At the time it was running the stock boost line, so it probably wouldn't have been too bad, but if it was like a plastic 3-port that could easily have led to an overboost condition.
while cranking? according to RS, it compensates for fuel pressure under boost, so i guess if it fails then the car runs lean under boost. i didnt see that in the video but i guess it could happen fast.

this freak accident was a very, very expensive one. at least not oil starve though
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo
while cranking? according to RS, it compensates for fuel pressure under boost, so i guess if it fails then the car runs lean under boost. i didnt see that in the video but i guess it could happen fast.

this freak accident was a very, very expensive one. at least not oil starve though
That's the regulator, the solenoid sits between the regulator and the manifold. If it breaks the regulator gets no signal. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought you said it was the solenoid that failed. You can't bypsas the regulator it needs to do its thing to keep the fuel pressure correct. Bypassing the solenoid though is fair game.

One thing you could do though is talk to your tuner about getting that wideband safety feature setup. I don't know if it would have saved your motor, but it might have. I'll post a pic of what those settings look like in a bit.
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

if it's a line to the FPR solenoid, then if it popped off, the fuel pressure wouldn't rise with boost. Then it would lean out.

This happened a bunch when the Evo 10 first came out. The FPR hose would slip off the intake manifold pressure source and Kaboooom, or if your lucky, you catch it at idle.

When I was tuning Evo 10's regularly, literally the first thing I would do is zip tie that line.
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

if it's a line to the FPR solenoid, then if it popped off, the fuel pressure wouldn't rise with boost. Then it would lean out.

This happened a bunch when the Evo 10 first came out. The FPR hose would slip off the intake manifold pressure source and Kaboooom, or if your lucky, you catch it at idle.

When I was tuning Evo 10's regularly, literally the first thing I would do is zip tie that line.
yea that is basically what RS described. i didnt even know it was a thing but yea i guess it's bypassed now.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?